Akira 4K IMAX release POSTER

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
You're acting like a Republican. Keep that spin going.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
You're acting like a Republican. Keep that spin going.

Good one, Aaron. Is this a 6L morning? Are you having wine sweats? Take a shower and go back to bed. When you wake up you can go home and be a family man.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I've seen AKIRA at the theater and its just not as entertaining to watch if its the reissue dub.
Streamlinedub4lyfe.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I don't think any single country got fucked as bad as Japan did

Yeah, all those Japanese women/children that were set up at rape stations for the soldiers to use, it's horrible what happened to them.

Oh, wait, my bad, it was the Japanese soldiers that kidnapped women (and, let's be honest, girls in their teens or bordering on being a teenager) and raped them over and over and over. Here are some Korean 'comfort women' who got dragged all the way down to Yunnan in southwest China. Go look at a map of Korea and then see how far that is from Yunnan.

It was also a horror that Japanese civilians were subjected to inhumane experimentation. Oh, no again! It was the Japanese who did that to Chinese in Unit 731:

Thousands of men, women, children and infants interned at prisoner of war camps were subjected to vivisection, often without anesthesia and usually ending with the death of the victim. Vivisections were performed on prisoners after infecting them with various diseases. Researchers performed invasive surgery on prisoners, removing organs to study the effects of disease on the human body.

Prisoners had limbs amputated in order to study blood loss. Those limbs that were removed were sometimes re-attached to the opposite sides of the body. Some prisoners had their stomachs surgically removed and the esophagus reattached to the intestines. Parts of organs, such as the brain, lungs, and liver, were removed from some prisoners.

Well, no matter, what about the Japanese civilians that were infected with the plague...NOPE, Japanese did it to Chinese for the lulz.

Plague-infected fleas, bred in the laboratories of Unit 731 and Unit 1644, were spread by low-flying airplanes upon Chinese cities, including coastal Ningbo and Changde, Hunan Province, in 1940 and 1941. This military aerial spraying killed tens of thousands of people with bubonic plague epidemics. An expedition to Nanking involved spreading typhoid and paratyphoid germs into the wells, marshes, and houses of the city, as well as infusing them into snacks to be distributed among the locals.

You know what, I'm not going to post anything else about Unit 731. There's a lot more I'd rather not remember.

Let's get it clear, I'm not a fucking shill and I'm not a 'useful idiot'. A useful idiot for the CCP would say something like how great transport it and how cheap delivery and food is here, among many other things that make like living here OK. I don't go on the news and I don't go social media praising the CCP. I can talk for hours and speculate on what China would have been if Japan had not invaded it, and what kind of government it would have now and how freely that government might be compared to the CCP.

I also do not like all the anti-Japanese TV shows and media here, outside of tier-1 cities I'm bound to hear a local talking about Japan in coversation. The CCP has made Japan into the bogeyman in part for the populace to focus their anger away from the government.

But to say that poor lil Japan got fucked the worst in WWII is laughable. Anyone who says that like the weebmaster wasabi is out of their mind and has a very limited knowledge on just what the Imperial Japanese Army did to surrounding countries in Asia. The only reason weebs like wasabi would even say that is because they grew up on Japan's soft power - its video games, cartoons, etc. - and felt a connection to Japan because Japanese entertainment made them happy. China, the Philippines, Thailand, Myanmar, Malaysia, etc. didn't make their own Grave of the Fireflies. That's the difference. No one even gives a fuck about Myanmar or even knows how many civilians there died under Japanese occupation (anywhere from 170,000 to 250,000).

It goes without saying the atomic bombs were devastating and horrible, but compared to the casualties Japan inflicted on other countries? No, Japan did not suffer the worst. They even came out on top because America helped rebuild the nation into a powerhouse.

I don't ever talk about this or bring up Japan's war history but I had to say something. It's a fucking insult to the millions of people who died from Japanese invasion in WWII to say that no one suffered worse than Japan, holy fucking shit just typing that out, wow wasabi. The Commie fucks who killed the millions of Chinese post-1949 is a completely different thing all together that I in no way, shape or form condone.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I don't think I've ever seen stage legitimately worked up over any topic before.

Canon updated.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
'sage, what's the source you're citing? I'd like to read more about it.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
'sage, what's the source you're citing? I'd like to read more about it.

For the parts I quoted? It's an incredibly long read but well worth knowing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731

Dunno if you know about comfort women, but here's the article as well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comfort_women

And an interesting row with Japan in South Korea after a statue was erected as a memorial for comfort women in front of the Japanese embassy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue_of_Peace

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
These are all good starting points and I think that in ANY political disagreement, it's incumbent on the individual to research all sides of the issue. I will do some homework.

I will only say that the reason I think Japan is portrayed as the worst victim of WW II's outcome is because the change to the nation was seen as a dramatic change in cultural identity. They were violent, imperialistic and aggressive during that conflict, an attitude informed by centuries of civil war, divine providence and dynastic ambition. And then, in the blink of an eye, they were shot out of the heavens of their own self inflated ego and forced to crawl in the mud. This is why, I believe, they became a nation of 'wait...WE'RE the bad guy?'

I have friends that dismiss this radical shift in collective identity. It annoys them when they see some thinkpiece that rationalizes their current model of shame culture as 'well, these bombs were dropped, so...'

But so much of their national, and international, identity has been, for so long, that of the country that bears the burden of nuclear assault that it's become an undeniable aspect of how the world views them. And that tends to overwhelm a lot of the shit they did during, and before, WWII in Asia.

I've seen people say the bombs shouldn't have been dropped. But given all of the atrocities they committed, would it have been better to siege them and starve them out over the course of years and years and years?

Or is it better to just hit them once or twice REALLY hard and set them straight? Machiavelli would have opted for the latter, and no matter WHAT you think of 'The Prince', there is nothing in that book that isn't accurate.

That's a judgement call. One there's no real point in making.

But if the bomb led to Berserk, then that is my silver lining.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Yeah, all those Japanese women/children that were set up at rape stations for the soldiers to use, it's horrible what happened to them.

Oh, wait, my bad, it was the Japanese soldiers that kidnapped women (and, let's be honest, girls in their teens or bordering on being a teenager) and raped them over and over and over. Here are some Korean 'comfort women' who got dragged all the way down to Yunnan in southwest China. Go look at a map of Korea and then see how far that is from Yunnan.

It was also a horror that Japanese civilians were subjected to inhumane experimentation. Oh, no again! It was the Japanese who did that to Chinese in Unit 731:

Well, no matter, what about the Japanese civilians that were infected with the plague...NOPE, Japanese did it to Chinese for the lulz.

You know what, I'm not going to post anything else about Unit 731. There's a lot more I'd rather not remember.

Let's get it clear, I'm not a fucking shill and I'm not a 'useful idiot'. A useful idiot for the CCP would say something like how great transport it and how cheap delivery and food is here, among many other things that make like living here OK. I don't go on the news and I don't go social media praising the CCP. I can talk for hours and speculate on what China would have been if Japan had not invaded it, and what kind of government it would have now and how freely that government might be compared to the CCP.

I also do not like all the anti-Japanese TV shows and media here, outside of tier-1 cities I'm bound to hear a local talking about Japan in coversation. The CCP has made Japan into the bogeyman in part for the populace to focus their anger away from the government.

But to say that poor lil Japan got fucked the worst in WWII is laughable. Anyone who says that like the weebmaster wasabi is out of their mind and has a very limited knowledge on just what the Imperial Japanese Army did to surrounding countries in Asia. The only reason weebs like wasabi would even say that is because they grew up on Japan's soft power - its video games, cartoons, etc. - and felt a connection to Japan because Japanese entertainment made them happy. China, the Philippines, Thailand, Myanmar, Malaysia, etc. didn't make their own Grave of the Fireflies. That's the difference. No one even gives a fuck about Myanmar or even knows how many civilians there died under Japanese occupation (anywhere from 170,000 to 250,000).

It goes without saying the atomic bombs were devastating and horrible, but compared to the casualties Japan inflicted on other countries? No, Japan did not suffer the worst. They even came out on top because America helped rebuild the nation into a powerhouse.

I don't ever talk about this or bring up Japan's war history but I had to say something. It's a fucking insult to the millions of people who died from Japanese invasion in WWII to say that no one suffered worse than Japan, holy fucking shit just typing that out, wow wasabi. The Commie fucks who killed the millions of Chinese post-1949 is a completely different thing all together that I in no way, shape or form condone.

Aaron, you're a genocide apologist.

What do you think is happening in China right now? And what do you think was happening in China before the Japanese moved in? You're living in an Apartheid, and defending it. Everything horrible in China is self-inflicted.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Are you fucking retarded?

Go fuck yourself. You don't know who I am or what I do in China.

I don't think any single country got fucked as bad as Japan did

Is exactly what you posted, and I said no. The condition being we were talking about World War II.

No fucking shit the Communists did worse to China than anything Japan ever did.

Fucking idiot.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
lol if anything Japan "got fucked" by their own rulers throughout their whole history. Just imagine what would have happened with the civilian populace in Japan if the nukes weren't dropped and USSR and the US Army advanced deep enough into their territory.

Anyway as with any heavily discussed and disputed real life issues this was bound to lead to drama posts. Too much for a vBulletin board about a 90's rich kid's toy.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Are you fucking retarded?

Go fuck yourself. You don't know who I am or what I do in China.

Is exactly what you posted, and I said no. The condition being we were talking about World War II.

No fucking shit the Communists did worse to China than anything Japan ever did.

Fucking idiot.

Everyone knows what you do in China. You spend way too much time around small children, you get shitface drunk, and you seek validation from strangers online.

Now sober up, big boy. No other country had an atomic bomb dropped on them, much less two. The atomic bomb was the worst attack of any side against another. Those who survived didn't simply heal and live long lives. They gradually fell apart from the radiation. We made those two areas unlivable. We didn't just kill the people, we killed those cities, and all life around them. So yeah, japan got hit harder. I am sorry for you if you have FOMO over China not being hit by atomic bombs. But saying China had it worse over comfort women and a dubious death toll from a dubious source that itself killed off about 60 million people for the same kind of reason that the Nazis killed Jews and Gypsies is not compelling.

There was a concerted action from Communist China post war to use the Japanese expansion to cover up their own genocide of non-Han Chinese. Who do you think paid authors to write about the "Rape of Nanking"?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Everyone knows what you do in China. You spend way too much time around small children

We're through. You and me. Don't care if you rolled back the forums so I could post again. We're through.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
No one even gives a fuck about Myanmar or even knows how many civilians there died under Japanese occupation (anywhere from 170,000 to 250,000).

You may know it was Myanmar, but it will always be Burma to me.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Akira is overrated. When is Urotsukidoji gonna be screened in an IMAX?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member

You like the Streamline dub because that's how you originally saw the movie. I phrase that as a statement rather than a question, because there's literally no other explanation. It's AWFUL. Terrible acting with everyone pronouncing each other's names wrong. And fuck Carl Macek and Streamline in general, with his egomaniac "I'll rewrite stuff to make it better because I'm awesome" attitude.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
You like the Streamline dub because that's how you originally saw the movie. I phrase that as a statement rather than a question, because there's literally no other explanation. It's AWFUL. Terrible acting with everyone pronouncing each other's names wrong. And fuck Carl Macek and Streamline in general, with his egomaniac "I'll rewrite stuff to make it better because I'm awesome" attitude.

Do you really want to put this much thought into Akira? I feel like its time has passed.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Original dub or nothin, bitches. CAM CLARKE FOR EVER.

Marek

Banned

Bitchin! I feel like I could take on the world today!