Alex Trebek dead at 80

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Wonderful intelligence, soft spoken and a pure joy to watch...literally most of my life. He will be horribly missed. I am so pleased that he used his celebrity to share his experiences and to show us all how many that we do not see on television daily that are dealing with cancer and what their fight is.

He will be missed...and I really do mean that.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
RIP. This one's the roughest so far. Jeopardy is part of my daily routine and he seemed so upbeat that I thought he might pull through...

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
At the risk of sounding like a fucking idiot, this feels like family passing away. One of the few things I watch on TV and have been doing so for decades. Damn shame.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I totally agree...this one is tough to hear.

I loved the guy, such a great personality and just so likeable. Terrible news. RIP.

fake

15 Year Member
7:30 PM will never be the same...

Honesty, who the fuck could replace him?!

No one. Jeopardy is going to be a very different game from now on. I hope it retains its somewhat serious vibe, but I kinda doubt it will. Categories and whatnot are probably going to swing to more pop-culture, and I bet they'll try to add a lot more humor.

My friends and I were trying to decide who would be the best new host. IMO, it has to be Ken Jennings or Patton Oswalt.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
The show has announced that Trebek has enough filmed episodes to run through Christmas Day. They have no plans to announce a future host any time soon.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Honesty, who the fuck could replace him?!

Nobody. I hope it doesn't end up like the Daily Show with a host that just loses the magic.

This one hurts a lot. Jeopardy was a staple in our house growing up. My parents were serious about their Jeopardy time.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Honestly my preference would be to not continue the show...at least not under the same name. Leave that for Alex out of respect. He is Jeopardy.

fake

15 Year Member
I mean, that would suck. So I think they should just rename it Jeopardy, without the !. That would be a nice ode.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
RIP. Easily one of my favorite game show hosts and an overall excellent guy.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Sean Connery AND Alex Trebek?

Damn.

It will be surreal to watch some of those old SNL Jeopardy skits now.

RIP, sir. You earned your rest

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Ken Jennings is fucking hilarious and is already a producer on the show as of this season, so he seems like the obvious choice. There was also talk of Neil deGrasse Tyson becoming the host, which wouldn't be a bad fit.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Rest in peace, Mr Trebek.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
They really missed the mark not announcing his death in the form of a question.

One of the best show hosts of all time. Sad to see him go.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
We watch daily. I knew things weren't promising with his diagnosis. I was surprised he returned for any tapings at all in 2020.

Rutter would be better than Jennings, but I'd prefer someone else entirely. I don't think Jeopardy! champs actually lend themselves well to being the host.

It is definitely a Bob Barker scenario, it seems like no one can possibly replace him and 5 years in, Drew Carey actually seems like a pretty natural fit.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
What an icon in pop culture of the past few decades, synonymous with trivia, referenced in some of the most popular shows and movies of all time...rest in peace Mr.Trebek.

I keep feeling older the more fixtures from my youth pass on.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
I keep feeling older the more fixtures from my youth pass on.

Once my boss and I were talking about life and getting older and he said in a really sad way that there is a point for us all where life starts taking away more than giving. It’s a depressing thought but very true.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
We watch daily. I knew things weren't promising with his diagnosis. I was surprised he returned for any tapings at all in 2020.

Rutter would be better than Jennings, but I'd prefer someone else entirely. I don't think Jeopardy! champs actually lend themselves well to being the host.

It is definitely a Bob Barker scenario, it seems like no one can possibly replace him and 5 years in, Drew Carey actually seems like a pretty natural fit.

Felt the same way when Art Fleming left Jeopardy! He couldn't be replaced :tickled:

Condolences to everyone who knew him well, especially when one passes away from that form of cancer which I unfortunately know all too well personally.