Analogue Interactive Eat Your Heart Out - RKAIDR

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
the craftsmanship is incredible. but the aesthetics and price are incredibly bad

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Ok so upon further investigation.. apparently this guy is just into wooden, stampunkish, 1930s radio stuff. Everything he designs looks like this.

Did you guys see this though? http://www.lovehulten.com/rkaid42.html

That seems far cooler, and more sensible then this RKAIDR garbage thing. Oh you know, except for the part where it's 3,300 freakin euro.

Funny thing is the 1930s radios I have seen are all made of bakelite. XD

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
That video says quite a lot.

So apparently the top row of buttons is fake, and doesn't even do anything?

And you gotta love playing tate games stretched out into ultra-wide mode. Not to mention in the 1943 play you see him push the joystick, then the plane starts moving about a tenth of a second later. Wonder how much lag that display has.

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
It's a piece of shit that plays romz. I'll take an AI any day of the week over this junk.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Thanks for the heads up I just ordered one!

Anybody want to buy my Xbox 360 with a wooden face plate? Only $999!

edit:

Reading the youtube comments I found this gem from the builder:

Well, if you're comparing the R-Kaid-R with today's portables, it IS overpriced indeed. And yes, you could buy two hi-end PC rigs with the amount of money I'm charging for R-Kaid-R unit. But this machine is something else. It's not about function(although it's accounted for), it's about making the arcade an equivalent next to the oil painting on your wall, putting this fading culture on a pedestal. I want to force the arcade into the white cube and create curiosity towards the origin of video gaming.
I wanted to design an innovative product with character and soul, within the field.

There are way more obscure examples of overpricing than this. If you're after function, simply waste $3400 on something else. Buy yourself a Pi and make a portable yourself for less than $500, that's what anybody would do, hunting functionality.

I'm not a company competing with the commerce, I am just a dedicated craftsman, and I make the R-Kaid-R units myself. They are crafted and assembled by me, and the large amount of hours I put into making the metal fittings and custom push buttons alone, combined with the wood working, simply makes a hefty price tag. If I would go through the efficiency of industry, it would be another thing. I'm making handmade numbered tribute artifacts. Some might hate, some might love.

My customers know how much work I put into this. And there are things called taxes other similar expenses. If you see this, you too should realize that my earnings are actually very modest in the end.

Last edited:

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Thanks for the heads up I just ordered one!

Anybody want to buy my Xbox 360 with a wooden face plate? Only $999!

edit:

Reading the youtube comments I found this gem from the builder:

My customers know how much work I put into this. And there are things called taxes other similar expenses. If you see this, you too should realize that my earnings are actually very modest in the end.

$3400x50 units = $170,000 in earnings. Nothing modest with that kind of number

NewNeoOwner

Quiz Detective
While not my style I think it's unique and interesting. The top row appears to be the start/select buttons. Where else would they go on that small panel? Otherwise it's your standard 2x3 setup.