any snk candy 18 owners?

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
totally unexpected, but ... it looks like i will pick up an empty one as a project and now i'm looking for some inspiration. i will have to make a new panel, which will be the worst part of the "resto", i think.

this is what i'm talking about:

Snk%2018%20(Large).JPG

the one that will be mine within the next 72 hours:

5206026907_9701d35eb9_z.jpg

now post your's, please.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
thanks.

it'll be my first cab and probably look quite a bit different in the end.
so far, i plan to re-spray it and to mount a rotateable lcd screen. lcd, because it'll be much less expensive and not as heavy as a tupe.
will probably hook up an older pc in addition to the mvs, too.

the thing that i'm really not too sure about is the coin entry thing. i'd like to keep it, but then the panel would be too small for a 2l8b or 2l12b setup. maybe i should make a 1l4b panel, instead. it's a small cab anyway. next problem would be a custom made overlay. i used photoshop before, but it's been ages ...

good thing is that it'll cost me much less than a mini cute or a neo 19. :drool:

alphagamer

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Is Voralberg(A) far from your location?

Wasn't worthwhile for me, so I passed.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Picture looks better than it was. It came in pretty poor shape.

Dscn6697.jpg

DSCN6766.jpg

you can see how the CP is a TINY bit too small, but fit well enough for me.

DSCN9038.jpg

Here you can see my i-bolt and door stop fit for the CP, reason I'd love to see pics of your cam locks. I slapped start buttons on the front, because my cp didn't have any, and there was a dent in the front like someone took a hammer and smacked a flat head screw driver into the cp box a few times :( So, I driller there and slapped in a button. Same on the other side just to match. I would have liked to NOT have done this, but I'm no good with metal work and the cab was dirt cheap. Whatever, it is what it is...I love the little cab. The cp locks are all that bugs me. That and the doors, lol.

DSCN8899.jpg

vert is so easy, and the regular monitor is EASILY rotatable by one person. And a regular person, not some linebacker, lol.

DSCN7157.jpg

can you do me a favor and let me know what shape cam locks you have in your CP? I've been trying to get real CP locks in mine for YEARS but don't know what shape to get. Any help would REALLY be appreciated!

I forget who I sold my CP too, but I wish I would have kept it and turned this back into Victory Road. Looks like yours is in FAR batter shape than mine when I got it. Also, if you can take pics of your cam locks inside the CP, would I get one of how the speakers are originally set up in stereo? Mine didn't have speakers, locks, or doors for that matter, lol.

thanks!! and good luck with you project. Great little cab, imo.

Last edited:

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
nice! thanks for posting those pictures. i think i might have seen one of those before, but google didn't find much.
i really like the mvs u4 panel with the white buttons. it fits the cab well. the mvs u4 is the cab that i always wanted and there are currently a few for sale in germany but i read that it's very hard to find replacement monitors that would fit. that's why i decided to get the candy instead. well, that and the weight.
my dad might even have a spare 19" lcd monitor that i could have for free.

i'm not yet sure, if mine will have the locks, still.
i know that the following parts are missing:

- pcb door. (wonder why, really.)
- coin box
- monitor
- control panel
- coin mech
- power supply
- jamma harness
- speakers
- "video game" marquee

if all goes well, i will post pics on sunday.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Sweet score! Since the screen is viewed at an angle on those cabinets though, I'd be cautious about installing an LCD. An arcade I go to runs SF4 in old Midway cabinets with LCD screens installed. It's all good parts, but because of the angle the picture looks terrible when you are watching a match. The LCDs in there other machines look fine. It might not be as bad though in the SNK 18 because it's a lot shorter in height. Best to you in your restoration, bring her back to life!

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
nice! thanks for posting those pictures. i think i might have seen one of those before, but google didn't find much.
i really like the mvs u4 panel with the white buttons. it fits the cab well. the mvs u4 is the cab that i always wanted and there are currently a few for sale in germany but i read that it's very hard to find replacement monitors that would fit. that's why i decided to get the candy instead. well, that and the weight.
my dad might even have a spare 19" lcd monitor that i could have for free.

i'm not yet sure, if mine will have the locks, still.
i know that the following parts are missing:

- pcb door. (wonder why, really.)
- coin box
- monitor
- control panel
- coin mech
- power supply
- jamma harness
- speakers
- "video game" marquee

if all goes well, i will post pics on sunday.

If the guy has more of these cabs and you can get a look at the cams (if yours doesn't have the locks) please do so, for both of us. It's been a pain.

they are great little cabs. I love the size too. Fits perfect in the corner. I bet when I get older and eventually sell all my cabs etc..(don't want to, but i'm sure it will happen eventually), this will be the one that stays in the corner of my room, lol.

Sounds like they've gutted that cab you're getting pretty well. Maybe for parts to complete others? Mine had no main door and the coin door looked like it had been kicked in by a steel toed boot. Tough to get off. Great little project though and I'm sure you will get it really nice.

can't wait to see pics.

I have the coin mech, or at least what I think it all of it. You're welcome to it. Just pay shipping.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
It might not be as bad though in the SNK 18 because it's a lot shorter in height.
i sure hope that this will be the case. if all else fails, i could still try to score a used crt tv. i might even be able to get one for free.
my 24" widescreen has a viewing angle of about 170°, i think. it's not as bad as i thought it would be.

If the guy has more of these cabs and you can get a look at the cams (if yours doesn't have the locks) please do so, for both of us. It's been a pain.
he has one that he already restored. i plan to pick mine up on saturday and i want to take some pictures of the restored cab anyway. you'll get your pics. most likely on sunday. :)

here's the other one:

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=13664

the thing that i really wish was included with mine is the marquee holder.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
i sure hope that this will be the case. if all else fails, i could still try to score a used crt tv. i might even be able to get one for free.
my 24" widescreen has a viewing angle of about 170°, i think. it's not as bad as i thought it would be.

he has one that he already restored. i plan to pick mine up on saturday and i want to take some pictures of the restored cab anyway. you'll get your pics. most likely on sunday. :)

here's the other one:

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=13664

the thing that i really wish was included with mine is the marquee holder.

lol, cool. I've been trying to find folks with this cab forEVER!! I do have the coin mech if you want it too. I always wondered what the slit in the top was. Very cool looking with the marquee holder.

Sex Machine

Big Monkey Balls 20
Nice find, I got me a regular US cab the other day I need to do some CP work to too, and it's metal also. that will be "fun".

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
I do have the coin mech if you want it too.
thanks for the offer. i'll keep that in mind. i don't know anything about coin mechs yet and i will have to ask around what would be the best, if i wanted to use european coins. 20 cents or 50 cents would be ideal.

@ Sex Machine:
it can't be worse than gamefan's. i think he put a piece of metal on top the old panel.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
thanks for the offer. i'll keep that in mind. i don't know anything about coin mechs yet and i will have to ask around what would be the best, if i wanted to use european coins. 20 cents or 50 cents would be ideal.

@ Sex Machine:
it can't be worse than gamefan's. i think he put a piece of metal on top the old panel.

Me neither. I always use free play on my cabs, which is the reason I'll give this one away, lol.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
"@ Sex Machine:
it can't be worse than gamefan's. i think he put a piece of metal on top the old panel."

It came out well. I am still debating on chaning out the CPO for a Tekken 3 one. I used Bondo and that worked like a charm!

GAMEFAN

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
what i wanted to say was that it looked terrible, before you fixed it. hope that didn't sound as if i was making fun of what you did with the panel. i'm sorry, if so.
i was trying to point out that it looked as if you covered the holes with a new piece of metal, which seemed to be a good solution.

Last edited:

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
what i wanted to say was that it looked terrible, before you fixed it. hope that didn't sound as if i was making fun of what you did with the panel. i'm sorry, if so.
i was trying to point out that it looked as if you covered the holes with a new piece of metal, which seemed to be a good solution.

You are good. I did not take it badly. I just used bondo and will use another CPO later when I find one I like. I am having a hell of a time locating a Tekken CPO.

GAMEFAN

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
can't wait to see pics.
i'm not too sure, if this exactly what you wanted to see. i can take more pictures, if needed.

do you know, if those locks are mede from hardened steel? i might have to cut mine in pieces or drill them out, i'm afraid.

5215351553_552d19f89b_z.jpg

5215942268_92f8cd0063_z.jpg

5215351933_86ff1c9327_z.jpg

dirty:

5215353559_8ea9d83bd8_z.jpg

shiny:

5215945068_afdded8d04_z.jpg

there's that one spot (where the coind box goes) that i couldn't clean today. i would have had to drill out a few screws on the bottom in order to take the whole base off but didn't want to make too much noise on a sunday.

Last edited:

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
good question. but ... nah, i used a pretty good degreaser and let it sit for about a minute or two.

edit:
took me about 11 hours until the cab was mostly clean. it was well worth it, though.

Last edited:

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
:lolz:

nah, it's a 20 year old cab and i expected it to be dirty. if anything it made me glad that i don't smoke.

Sex Machine

Big Monkey Balls 20
The monitor for that thing will probably be more expensive than my whole cab.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
i don't worry too much about the monitor. i'm sure the control panel will be more expensive. even if i can get a friend to cut the metal at work, i will still have to pay to get the overly printed and mcs want's about $50, as far as i know.

edit:
btw, i already know how i'll mount the monitor. it'll be super easy to rotate.

Last edited: