Any Suggestions for Obscure and Hidden Neo Geo Gems?

Elder

NEST Puppet
I've found not too many people talk about neo Mr Do or Panic Bomber, and they are very good puzzle games. Also, NTM isnt obscure but one of the most fun games I've played for the neo. People who hear about it for the first time don't usually think of golf games as fun, but im sure a review in your style would really bring some needed attention to it.

Sounds good to me :) Looks like my wallet is going to get a beating trying to find some of these games. Hopefully some folks on these boards will have some of the games up for sale.

godzilla43

Geese's Thug
I would say Winjammers,Last resort,Last blade,neo turf masters and garou. In Last blade Kaede also transforms to Super Kaeda like in DBZ.
I dont think that Top hunter or Spinmaster are hidden gems cos in Genesis or Snes there are loads of better platformers.

Elder

NEST Puppet
I would wholeheartedly agree with recommendations for Breakers Revenge, Neo Turf Masters, Spinmaster, and Neo Drift Out. And while they're not unknown to this community, I would say that Viewpoint, Shock Troopers, Waku Waku 7, NAM 1975, and Money Puzzle Exchanger should get more recognition.

Oh, and it's not the greatest game, but Aggressors of Dark Kombat is probably the closest thing to a "hidden gem" anyone's mentioned thus far. Good call, xsq.

There's a reason for that. Haha. Seriously, though, I have the game on MVS and besides the art style/presentation, there's really nothing that good to say about it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. This list is going to be a challenge to cover only because some of the games are hard to find, but I'm up for a good challenge :D

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Why bother doing reviews if you have no concept of what's unique, and are too lazy to do research?

Last edited:

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I would say Winjammers,Last resort,Last blade,neo turf masters and garou. In Last blade Kaede also transforms to Super Kaeda like in DBZ.
I dont think that Top hunter or Spinmaster are hidden gems cos in Genesis or Snes there are loads of better platformers.

When you talk about hidden gems for a particular platform, you don't take titles on other platforms into consideration. With that logic, all Neo Geo games are hidden gems because Genesis and SNES titles sold so much better.

Elder

NEST Puppet
Why bother doing reviews if you have no concept of what's unique, and are too lazy to do research?

This is one of the best places to get suggestions on some obscure games or hidden gems. I would consider this the beginning of the research phase. From here I'll check out each game more thoroughly if I don't already own it, and do more research as required before ever actually posting a review. From experience the absolute best place to start though is always on forums like these where the hardcore fans have spent years discussing the subject matter at hand. No amount of research will ever match what all of you know.

godzilla43

Geese's Thug
When you talk about hidden gems for a particular platform, you don't take titles on other platforms into consideration. With that logic, all Neo Geo games are hidden gems because Genesis and SNES titles sold so much better.

Why not? and this not type of thing that has right or wrong answers anyways.
i was first going to write that well allmost all neo geo games "hidden gems" exception metal slug,puzzle bobble and king of fighters.
Like with winjammers it is really fun two player game that does not really remind of any games in other platforms.
Last resort is kinda the r-type 2 sequal that r-type leon/rtype 3 should have been.
Last Blade is one the best fighting games in neo geo but is not well know like kof,ff or even art of fighting.
Neo turf masters is/was the best/fun golf game ever made.
Garou is Fatal Fury sequal that maybe not everyone know.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
This is one of the best places to get suggestions on some obscure games or hidden gems. I would consider this the beginning of the research phase. From here I'll check out each game more thoroughly if I don't already own it, and do more research as required before ever actually posting a review. From experience the absolute best place to start though is always on forums like these where the hardcore fans have spent years discussing the subject matter at hand. No amount of research will ever match what all of you know.

You're giving this place too much credit.

Believe in yourself.

Elder

NEST Puppet
You're giving this place too much credit.

Believe in yourself.

Lol, well I am hopeful that you guys can give me some suggestions or at least pointers in games that I personally may not have heard of. My ultimate goal here is to learn about games I've never played, pick some up, and see how they are, and review whatever I think people would be interested in seeing. What we talk about today likely won't be made into a video for another year or so, because I will experience the games for myself long before I ever do any reviews. That's the way I like to tackle all the system that I don't have too much experience with :)

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
because I will experience the games for myself long before I ever do any reviews. That's the way I like to tackle all the system that I don't have too much experience with :)

Why have the desire to share something with others, if you've yet to learn about it yourself?

Last edited:

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
1. Get MAME
2. Get a NEO GEO romset
3. Pick a game in MAME
4. ???????????
5. Profit.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Why not? and this not type of thing that has right or wrong answers anyways.
i was first going to write that well allmost all neo geo games "hidden gems" exception metal slug,puzzle bobble and king of fighters.
Like with winjammers it is really fun two player game that does not really remind of any games in other platforms.
Last resort is kinda the r-type 2 sequal that r-type leon/rtype 3 should have been.
Last Blade is one the best fighting games in neo geo but is not well know like kof,ff or even art of fighting.
Neo turf masters is/was the best/fun golf game ever made.
Garou is Fatal Fury sequal that maybe not everyone know.

While I agree with some of your observations about Neo titles, I still disagree with qualifying/disqualifying games as "hidden gems" based on comparisons to titles from other platforms. When you talk about Dreamcast hidden gems, you'd likely mention Samba de Amigo because it's A). a great game B). not very well known (at least outside of hardcore Sega/Dreamcast fans) and C). a rhythm game on a platform sorely lacking in that genre. You can't just disqualify Samba de Amigo as a Dreamcast hidden gem because there were more/better rhythm games for PS1 and PS2. That's the reason it's a Dreamcast hidden gem, just as Spinmaster and Top Hunter are Neo Geo hidden gems.

godzilla43

Geese's Thug
yeah i would say samba de amigo and steel battalion even thou i never own those games and havent played them but what i heard those are solid titles. I dont know that there is game in ps1/ps2 that is like Samba de amigo only game that remind me of that is gamecubes donkey konga drum game. (I had dreamcast back in the day so i am not listing shenmue as a hidden gem cos shenmue2 is also in xbox but lets forget that title :))

but what i feel that you are saying that hidden "dreamcast gem" is like headhunter and there was loads of better third person action games in ps2

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
yeah i would say samba de amigo and steel battalion even thou i never own those games and havent played them but what i heard those are solid titles. I dont know that there is game in ps1/ps2 that is like Samba de amigo only game that remind me of that is gamecubes donkey konga drum game. (I had dreamcast back in the day so i am not listing shenmue as a hidden gem cos shenmue2 is also in xbox but lets forget that title :))

but what i feel that you are saying that hidden "dreamcast gem" is like headhunter and there was loads of better third person action games in ps2

I think you are missing the point of"hidden gem"

Elder

NEST Puppet
Why have the desire to share something with others, if you've yet to learn about it yourself?

I don't, I want to learn about these games for myself first, and share the ones that surprised me. I'm sure there will be games people mention that aren't really my thing, and those I won't be sharing because I won't have the same connection as I do to others that did surprise me.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I don't, I want to learn about these games for myself first, and share the ones that surprised me. I'm sure there will be games people mention that aren't really my thing, and those I won't be sharing because I won't have the same connection as I do to others that did surprise me.

I guess I don't understand.

Is the passion rooted solely in the act of sharing? Is it rooted in the ego?

If you're a novice on a subject, why try to establish yourself as a teacher/promoter/whatever if you're clearly still the student.

Fame? Women? Money? Power?

Last edited:

Elder

NEST Puppet
I guess I don't understand.

Is the passion the rooted solely in the act of sharing? Is it rooted in the ego?

If you're a novice on a subject, why try to establish yourself as a teacher/promoter/whatever if your clearly still the student.

Fame? Women? Money? Power?

I like talking about the games, simple as that. The whole reason why I created the YouTube channel was simply to talk about my passion for gaming. No other agenda than that. In this case I'm simply looking for some games that I don't know about, and if any strike me as awesome or really make a connection, I'll share that with the community. I won't pretend to be an expert, and in fact I've given credit to these very boards before when I tackled Knight's Chance, and a few other games. I cover a mix of retro and new stuff simply because I enjoy doing so.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I like talking about the games, simple as that. The whole reason why I created the YouTube channel was simply to talk about my passion for gaming. No other agenda than that. In this case I'm simply looking for some games that I don't know about, and if any strike me as awesome or really make a connection, I'll share that with the community. I won't pretend to be an expert, and in fact I've given credit to these very boards before when I tackled Knight's Chance, and a few other games. I cover a mix of retro and new stuff simply because I enjoy doing so.

If you've been able to dupe over 3,000 to subscribe to your cult, it has to go beyond liking to talk about games.

Elder

NEST Puppet
If you've been able to dupe over 3,000 to subscribe to your cult, it has to go beyond liking to talk about games.

To be fair most of those were established from my E3 content I published years ago, although lately more and more people have been coming on-board for the retro content. I typically review a lot of games from the Saturn era as I have a near complete collection of titles from that system and there aren't very many videos on YouTube, so that attracted a lot of people. Seriously though, I have met an incredible amount of people who share the same passion I do, and I know not everyone will believe the reasons why I do this, but there it is. I have a full time job, and with two of my close friends, we try and post daily content because it's something we really love doing. If this were for financial gain or something else, I would approach things quite differently, but this is all for fun.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
To be fair most of those were established from my E3 content I published years ago, although lately more and more people have been coming on-board for the retro content. I typically review a lot of games from the Saturn era as I have a near complete collection of titles from that system and there aren't very many videos on YouTube, so that attracted a lot of people. Seriously though, I have met an incredible amount of people who share the same passion I do, and I know not everyone will believe the reasons why I do this, but there it is. I have a full time job, and with two of my close friends, we try and post daily content because it's something we really love doing. If this were for financial gain or something else, I would approach things quite differently, but this is all for fun.

I can honestly vouch for Elder here. I enjoy watching his reviews on games, especially rarer titles such as Panzer Dragoon Saga. They are very well done and give me a gamer's perspective on the style, gameplay, and what he likes and dislikes about them. I'd actually prefer more neo reviews since its been largely focused on pokemon battles and WoW battles (still entertaining, but I'm a sucker for reviews)

Elder

NEST Puppet
I can honestly vouch for Elder here. I enjoy watching his reviews on games, especially rarer titles such as Panzer Dragoon Saga. They are very well done and give me a gamer's perspective on the style, gameplay, and what he likes and dislikes about them. I'd actually prefer more neo reviews since its been largely focused on pokemon battles and WoW battles (still entertaining, but I'm a sucker for reviews)

The current schedule goes like this:

Monday - Tim does his WoW Pet Battle video
Tuesday - Random video, usually a Vlog or a modern review.
Wednesday - Retro review (This is where the Neo review will be)
Thursday - Dragon Quest X Let's Play video
Friday - Podcast
Saturn - Saturn video
Sunday - Random video, although Tim wants to start a Hearthstone series on this day.

So there you have it. I try to do two reviews a week now, one for a retro platform and one for the Saturn. For the next three weeks I'm covering the big Saturn light gun games, and for the retro reviews I'm shifting gears to the SEGA CD and TurboGrafx-16.

Once those videos are done, I'm thinking of doing a special on the Atomiswave and covering the big games because I've been having a blast replaying some classics. You mentioned Pokemon, but we actually stopped that series when Steven had his kid ;)

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
Maybe you can focus on some decent beat-em ups available? Many people often think of the neo primarily for the fighters, but there are some solid beat-em ups on there, at least IMO:

-Mutation Nation
-Robo Army
-Sengoku series
-8Man

Other games:
-Ninja Commando
-Cyber-Lip

Fighters:
- World Heroes series. Everyone knows Fatal Fury, Samurai Shodown, KOF, Last Blade, but not this series as much.

There is also a ninja platforming game that the name escapes me at the moment, only available on MVS I beleive.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Maybe you can focus on some decent beat-em ups available? Many people often think of the neo primarily for the fighters, but there are some solid beat-em ups on there, at least IMO:

-Mutation Nation
-Robo Army
-Sengoku series
-8Man

Other games:
-Ninja Commando
-Cyber-Lip

Fighters:
- World Heroes series. Everyone knows Fatal Fury, Samurai Shodown, KOF, Last Blade, but not this series as much.

There is also a ninja platforming game that the name escapes me at the moment, only available on MVS I beleive.

Ganryu. That game is awful.

Turbogfx

Crazed MVS Addict
Hi Elder,

I enjoyed your Neo Geo section quite a lot. Was wondering when you were going to cover more Neo games, so glad to see you're back at it ;)

My vote goes for:
- Super Dodge Ball
- Blue's Journey
- Crossed Swords (I and/or II, the latter being a Neo Geo CD exclusive at the moment, which might change once Razoola's MVS project wraps up)

Cheers!

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I'd definitely go with Last Resort.
Comparing it to R-Type just because of the pod isn't quite right because the whole gameplay mechanics are different.

It's an often forgotten Neo Geo game that is way more competent than most care or think of.
CD version music is ass compared to the original YM2610 tunes so... stick with the AES/MVS cart versions or a well emulated one for the review.