Anyone here read the dark tower series?

chipperkwah

Armored Scrum Object
Currently reading Song of Susannah, started this series years ago but stopped halfway through. Been spending the past couple of weeks going through the whole thing again from the beginning. Favorite book so far has been The Wind Through the Keyhole. Great books.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I always wanted to get into it but never started reading.
I am pretty interested in the shining related book that he's writing.
Dr Sleep.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I read them when I was a kid but there were only 3 at the time. I'd like to finish the series but I'd probably have to go back and read the first 3 again.

I read the first 3 years ago and pretty much forgot everything. I started over and re-read through part of V. I've stalled again... I just don't read that much and it's so fucking long. I love it... need to get back into.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Havent read past the first 100 pages in the last book.
Didn't like the first or maybe the second to the last one that much.

Oh and I find the langauge thing pretty dumb, the old world speak..it annoys me.
Do yah pretty well, if ya don't mind come yall.

Last edited:

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
I love this series, huge fan of the books and the comics. Went back and recently re-read the entire series since the new book "Wind through the Keyhole" came out which is book 4.5. Great book and serves as a perfect transition from "Wizard and Glass" and "Wolves of the Calla". Thankee to any other readers that pick it up, my favorite book series I have ever read.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I've only read the comics. If you like Blind Guardian or Iced Earth; Demons & Wizards (which is a collaboration between Hansi & Shaffer) released an album called the "Touched by The Crimson King", it's about the Tower among other stories.

Pope Sazae

There is a song by the band O.A.R. called "Crazy Game of Poker" that is about the Dark Tower series and "The Stand". Once you know the stories all the lyrics in the song take on a completely different meaning.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Isn't there supposed to be a TV series coming out?

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I read the first book some years ago and didn't like how he released it with the original text, unedited. I understand why King didn't want to alter the original writing, but I found that first part such a clumsy read that it completely removed me from the drama of the later, better written portion of the book.

As i understand it, King also published a revision of the first book where he cleaned up the verbiage so it reads better. I should give it a try.

My wife has read the entire series, including all the spinoffs, and is sort of a geek on the Dark Tower. It's probably her second favorite series (after Potter.) She knows about all the other King stories that are supposedly tied to the mythology (such as The Mist) and is a huge fan of it. She keeps encouraging me to read it. Maybe I'll snag me some mobis and go to town.

But after I finish up Brent Weeks' Night Angel trilogy first. That is a really great, fun series to read.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The Eyes of the Dragon (tangentially related to Dark Tower Series) was one of my favorite books as a kid.

I hear that that book, along with The Stand and the Dark Tower series are all getting new adaptations.

Last edited:

Pope Sazae

Really is the best in all of the best book series I have ever read, especially once Wolves of the Calla starts and he starts to tie in all of his other stories that are tied into the Dark Tower. Insomnia, the Stand, Salem's Lot, and so many others. One of my next tattoos I have designed is an homage to the Dark Tower series, a deck of cards that is 3 Jacks and a pair of 9's. Pay close attention to the game of Castle they play in Wizard and Glass and also Wind Through the Keyhole and you can make the connection.

Last edited:

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I've read them all, and in the end they were a bit of an anti-climax. The span of time in which they were written clearly shows in the general disjointedness of the narrative. There are lots of great ideas though, I loved the idea of a long-gone high tech civilization with all the weird tech left behind by North Central Positronics Inc. Oh and Randall Flagg is a great character.

chipperkwah

Armored Scrum Object
Just finished song of susannah, it was pretty good. Wind through the keyhole is still my favorite out of all of them BY FAR. I loved the dark fairytale/ancient civilization vibe it had. Time to start up the last book! Gonna need a new book or series after this. Recently got a kindle and it's made it really convenient for me to take my reading with me everywhere.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Being a huge Stephen King fan, you'd think I would have read these, but I haven't. I still doubt anything will be as good as The Stand.

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
About 6-7 years ago, I read through 'The Gunslinger' and 'The Drawing of the Three' and thoroughly enjoyed them. For whatever reason, I've never gotten back to them, but I can be bad about getting back to things.

Pope Sazae

If you enjoyed "The Stand" you really need to read the Dark Tower series, it's the only thing that can stand up to that book and the two stories are very intertwined even having the same antagonist (at least for most of the books, later the Crimson King is the true villain).