Arcade control blasphemy

So I know a guy.

He spends thousands on cabs and swaps the actual sanwa arcade joysticks out for home console baby hori joysticks.

Not only that but he considers himself an arcade fighter guy and insists on putting octo gates on everything.

To me this is fucking sacrilege. If you want a baby home console fight stick with octo training wheels then grab a ps4 and a tv dipshit.

Like I have a hard enough time accepting smokey buttons and faggot bubble tops but at least those are produced by legit arcade control manufactuers and its just style, its not changing the feel of the controls so drastically. There are enough actual legit arcade joysticks and buttons that you can find what suits you.

This dude is not an arcade game player, period. Come play me on a cab out in the wild and lose every time and cry about how you cant use the joystick. You wanted an arcade experience so you bought a bunch of cabs, then you neutered them. Youve consolized that machine. Fuck you.

Anyone who doesnt agree with me, fuck you too.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I like Sanwa sticks and Octo gates for fighters.

If I was to build a fight stick or a cab for fighters that is what I would use.

But for a original cab its got to be original controls.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Agreed, leave the cabs with the working original gear in them.

I prefer square gates on my controls. Never heard octo gates referred to as training wheels. Very good analogy.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I never got octogates. Shoryukens should be easier for newbies on a square than octo due to being able to "feel" the diagonal. Knowing where your diagonals are is the first step you should learn when using a stick. I tried using a gateless perfect 360 at an arcade before and my mind was discombobulated

If you suck at doing them most games shortcuts (even super turbo) allow you to hold forward (6) and do a half circle forward 236 to do a shoryuken.This shortcut is the shits when doing fireball wars as if you try to move forward and throw a fireball without returning to neutral you get a fireball.

Only thing that would be more easier on octo imo is doing 360 motions, but you only need to hit up down left or right in most games not each point.

Instant air dash should be a little easier to.

9/7 upforward/backforward
return to neutral 5
forward 6

should be easier due to neutral being larger.

dU4YN.png

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I play better with octo gates in fighters but yeah, it's training wheels and a bad habit if you're going to play on real cabs.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Pshhh, Hori Hyabusa sticks + Kobal octagonal gate = pure bliss.

Square gates are generic and suppose to be for "all around" game play. Octa gates are more efficient when it comes to fighters and doing quarter circle movements as you dont get trapped in the corners.

Sounds like someone is salty they couldn't beat Zangief :keke:

Square gates are generic and suppose to be for "all around" game play. Octa gates are more efficient when it comes to fighters and doing quarter circle movements as you dont get trapped in the corners.

Do they have octo gates or hori sticks in the arcade?

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member

Funny you make a comment on generic, all-around game experience, when the history of Hori parts was to supply a "next-to arcade-like" experience for home users, with less industrial-like parts that the arcade had.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Do they have octo gates or hori sticks in the arcade?

Are you talking about Hori Hayubusa sticks? Not sure if they are in arcade cabinets in Japan but they are highly regarded and is on par w/ Sanwa & Seimitsu.

Also who cares what people use on their arcade cabs. I'll laugh at them but not be butt hurt over it.

MJ diddled kids, get over it

And the answer is no, you wont ever find that crap in an actual arcade setting

Last edited:

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member

Yeah probably not, i think Hayubusa are more expensive and not sure about the durability. Kind of like P360 sticks, those were far superior to regular happs stick but too expensive for operators to use. MJ would beat you in fighting games!

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
Seimitsu LS-32s are the way to go, shorter throw and clicky as fuck. Fuck octogates, I actually play worse on them.

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug

Wrong.

Hori parts for old games is sacrilege, but sadly the newest Taito Vewlix cabs in Japan are being shipped with Hori hayabusa joysticks and kuro buttons, Namco Noir's Tekken 7 also come stock with Hori, sad but true since Hori parts suck IMO, it seems arcade ops in Japan have some sort of agreement with Hori, they sell their replacement parts for almost half the price of the Sanwa/Seimitsu

Last edited:
Yeah, arcade cabs with lcd’s arent arcade cabs, sorry if that butthurts you but that topic is for another thread

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
Arcades stopped being arcades since the time when the home consoles and Pcs surpassed them in terms of graphics and sound, in the early 2000's when the Ps2 was released, and Pc driving games made model 3 racers look dated.