Atomiswave and YOU

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
So I got myself a consolized Atomiswave for xmas along with KoF Neowave! Yea!

What's everyones opinion on the system? Any game recommendations? I see sequels to SNK classics but never hear anyone talk about em. Not a good sign!

Carts seem rather expensive, was thinking of going the boot route at first - what's the verdict on them?

Atomiswave! Yea!

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Oh and has anyone tried to put a quieter fan in there? Worked great for CPS2, guess I'd just have to find the right size?

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I enjoy it, however the game selection is very limited. Dolphin Blue and Metal Slug 6 are good but expensive for legit carts.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Sadly, you have the only real stinker of a game on the system. NeoWave is a mess. Pick up KOF XI stat. Like get that and throw NeoWave into the fire :)

I love the Atomiswave. Some good games on the console, that sure, could be found as home ports mostly, but eh. I'd rather play Rumble Fish 1/2, Knights of Valour, Metal Slug 6 and etc on the Atomiswave. Fist of the Northstar and Guilty Gear X v1.5, Dolphin Blue and the Rumble Fish games never really made it home, either... The Rumble Fish for PS2 is a mashup of 1 and 2, and I prefer them as separate games, to be honest.

Anyway, it's a fun system that doesn't get enough respect on here.

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
What's wrong with Neowave? I've always played KoF at a casual level and I'm having fun with Neowave. Think I'm going to try and get decent with the Ikari team, though if XI is that much better I'll def check it out. Fist of the North Star was next on my list, looks incredible!

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Hokuto no ken (fist of the north star) and the rumble fish games are great fighters. I'm really glad darksoft ported them to NAOMI saving me from having to have yet another mobo around.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I love Sports Shooting USA!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It's a fun system, but the snk games are not the reason to get it. Kof 11 is awesome, the others are ok. The real gems imo are Fist of the North Star and Dolphin Blue.

Btw, depending on what kind of collector you are, keep an eye out for boots. Most of my games are cheap boots, which I love, but be careful if you want a legit collection.

jeffensminger

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
Fist of the north star is my favorite on the system. You gotta get that game next!

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
It's a fun system, but the snk games are not the reason to get it. Kof 11 is awesome, the others are ok. The real gems imo are Fist of the North Star and Dolphin Blue.

Btw, depending on what kind of collector you are, keep an eye out for boots. Most of my games are cheap boots, which I love, but be careful if you want a legit collection.

I'm cool with getting boots if they are faithful to the originals - though I wouldn't mind buying a legit copy of something I really really like. Saw some boots on aliexpress for around 40 apiece, might grab 2 from there and see how they are.

DeusVult

Another Striker
I recently picked one up also, I got demolish fist and dolphin blue (boot) both are enjoyable games and knights of valour is on the way

iam on the look out for a metal slug 6 next and maybe fist of the north star because of the comments above

I would like to get some of the shooting games but I take it they wont work on modern tv?

jeffensminger

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
I'm cool with getting boots if they are faithful to the originals - though I wouldn't mind buying a legit copy of something I really really like. Saw some boots on aliexpress for around 40 apiece, might grab 2 from there and see how they are.

You're pretty safe with the bootleg carts. They all work perfectly accept some small graphics problems in samurai shodown 6, but those are small glitches and that game is still very playable. Atomiswave is the only system that I don't care about having original carts on it.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I've only played it through emulation, but Hokuto No Ken and Maximum Speed are great.

nork69

Marked Wolf
10 Year Member
SS6 gives you MANy caracters if you like the SS series of game.
MS6, well, If u like MS series, you have to buy that game.
I tried Dolphin blue, a couple of time, but I don't ''SYNC'' with this game, I tried.

Have fun budy, BUY A GUN AND PLAY extreme HUNTing !

Merrry Christmas

KalessinDB

Mr. Big's Thug
I keep talking myself out of Atomiswave. Posts like this make that proposition more and more difficult

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
One of these days i'll do a full breakdown of Atomiswave - i'm fond of this library.

As for your consolized unit - what type of controllers are you using and do you have the 5th button wired up? Some of the fighters use a 5th button.

As for boots - I know some swear by them, but if you open them up...they are not nice to look at (metal shielding is thinner than originals, shoddy soldering, thin pcb's, reused and abused chips). I've had one go glitchy (MS6) and one stop working entirely (SS6). I haven't purchased another since.

As for price - there are a few where the original is cheaper or same price as a boot; here are currently accurate prices (feel free to correct me if you think i'm off) - all boots should be valued in the $30-35 range except RF2 and GG 1.5 - there are less of them and they can do $40-50

Prices for originals:
Demolish Fist - $65
Dirty Pigskin Football - $250
Dolphin Blue - $135-160
Fist of the North Star - $135
Guilty Gear Isuka - $40
GGX v1.5 - $180-200
Knights of Valour - $65
Metal Slug 6 - $180
Neo Geo Battle Colosseum - $65
Sam Sho VI - $210-220
King of Fighters NeoWave - $30
King of Fighters XI - $55
Rumble Fish - $40
Rumble Fish 2 - $190-200
Victory Furlong - $35

Gun, trackball, and wheel games left off as they will vary wildly depending on what is included as far as sub pcb's and other hardware.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I have my consolized unit wired just like a Neo. For the three button games a Neo stick still work great. For the five button fighters I have a Madcatz se stick with a funny button layout like

A B C D
D E

which gives out a proper Neo layout for the top and the proper Atomiswave fighter layout for the rest. I also have a Saturn controller to whatever adapter that works on it, but I have to spend a few minutes reprogramming the button mapping for fighters.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I haven«t got my hands on one of these yet neither did a research for the button wiring.
I presume the 5th button works as Select on the AES stick right?

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
One of these days i'll do a full breakdown of Atomiswave - i'm fond of this library.

As for your consolized unit - what type of controllers are you using and do you have the 5th button wired up? Some of the fighters use a 5th button.

As for boots - I know some swear by them, but if you open them up...they are not nice to look at (metal shielding is thinner than originals, shoddy soldering, thin pcb's, reused and abused chips). I've had one go glitchy (MS6) and one stop working entirely (SS6). I haven't purchased another since.

As for price - there are a few where the original is cheaper or same price as a boot; here are currently accurate prices (feel free to correct me if you think i'm off) - all boots should be valued in the $30-35 range except RF2 and GG 1.5 - there are less of them and they can do $40-50

Thanks for the price guide, it's a huge help. I went ahead and ordered FotNS, Dolphin Blue, and Guilty Gear Isuka boots since I have no patience and not 100% sure I wanna risk purchasing on ebay and get a boot.

I'm currently using a Hori neo-geo stick on loan. System looks to be wired for 5 buttons as select is working for button #5. Hoping to come up with an adapter solution to I can use my PS3 or 360 sticks since I have a bunch already. Contacted Xian Xi about the possibility of making an adapter (or 2).

I have my consolized unit wired just like a Neo. For the three button games a Neo stick still work great. For the five button fighters I have a Madcatz se stick with a funny button layout like

A B C D
D E

which gives out a proper Neo layout for the top and the proper Atomiswave fighter layout for the rest. I also have a Saturn controller to whatever adapter that works on it, but I have to spend a few minutes reprogramming the button mapping for fighters.

This is exactly what I'm looking to do - what are you using to get your madcatz stick to work?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
My consolized unit has neo compatible controller ports. On the stick I just removed the 360 pcb and cord. I then took s Neo controller extension cable, cut and stripped one of the ends and soldered them to the switches.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Wouldn't it be more natural to have E be below C? I also believe this is the arcade Guilty Gear layout.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I just looked it up, and you are right about the Guilty Gear layout, and I believe Samurai Shodown is the same way, but I don't have those games. The layout I have is correct for Fist of the North Star and King of Fighters, which are the only two fighters I have. If I ever pick up the other games I can easily move the button over one hole as the stick is originally 8 button. The Saturn pad I sometimes use instead is fully programmable, so I can map it any way I want.

JLZ

Rugal's Thug
I just ordered an atomiswave with 5 carts from a chap on the ukvac forum. Hopefully it'll come in next week. I'm getting:

Kof xi
Metal Slug 6
Dolphin Blue
Samurai Showdown 6
Fist of the North Star

The only other game that I'm keen to get in the future is battle coliseum.

What are the loading times like on the atomiswave?

loegan43

I've served my time in the Dark Army., Have you?,
15 Year Member
loading times? Not much different than any other Jamma PCB. Boots up rather fast. You picked up a great selection of games, enjoy.