August SotM: Mars Matrix

FOMOCO&CO

Belnar Institute Student
20 Year Member
marquee.jpg
unnaffmed.jpgunnamed.gif

After some serious polling, in the end:keke:, the winner for August is Mars Matrix.

Separate score boards for DC and CPS2 as the scoring is different.

Standard settings, Arcade mode for DC 3 lives no continues.

Standard setting for CPS2, Lv. 4, 3 lives, no continues.

Format as follows
Name, Score, Level, Ship Used(i.e. Red, or Blue), Version.

CPS2/Mame

1. Skate323k137 29.073.572.630, lv4, Red, Jpn CPS2
2. Ahcmetal 10.806.662.460, lv3, Blue, CPS2
2. _rm_ 8.536.321.060, lv3, Blue, Jpn CPS2
5. grendelrt, 2.088.957.240, lV2, Blue, CPS2
6. pulstar 1.159.796.510, lv2, Blue, CPS2
7. Fomoco 227.457.140, lv2, Blue, Jpn CPS2

DC

1. Skate323k137 71.754.131.170, Lv.4, Red
2. WhiteSuitMulletguy 50.924.737.040, Lv.4, Blue
3. team_andromeda 46.094.750, Lv.1, Blue

Get to Work!!

Last edited:

FOMOCO&CO

Belnar Institute Student
20 Year Member
unnambbbbed.pngnamed.jpg
Wanted to save the 2nd post, so here's some pics.

FOMOCO&CO

Belnar Institute Student
20 Year Member
Cellphone madness, or goodness, can't confirm...

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
man was really hoping for gigawing as I dont have this game :( good luck to all who participate

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
I'm really happy i can finally try this one, hope to enjoy it.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Gradius 2 didn't win huh?
Oh well. enjoy everyone. I don't have this game, so I can't join in the fun :(

FOMOCO&CO

Belnar Institute Student
20 Year Member
First time I'm getting to play a shooter on my big blue I got a few months back.
Last group of people here (pool/bbq 4 of july thing), I had that one guy that slams all the buttons over and over while playing fighters, I watched from a distance as he grinded the joystick in circles.. It was funny a first actually, but then I realized part of it was noob, the other part drunken fury..
So of course, now that I'm trying to use it the stick is funky, not wanting to hit diagonals well (esp, u/r) etc..
So posted a quick lower score using 2p side. Gonna put new sticks in this weekend hopefully (or at least that one side)..

and thats my story.

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object
Never done one of these before, but I'll gladly fill the last slot. Are the scores taken down using the honor system, or are we PM'ing pics of the scoreboard? Thanks!

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Are the scores taken down using the honor system, or are we PM'ing pics of the scoreboard? Thanks!

People don't cheat shit scores...
Spoiler:
unless there is something seriously wrong with them

BOOM ROASTED
71056_77584777339_6921005_n.jpg

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Had time for a few credits before work today. Looking at the shmups scoreboards, it looks like the DC version scores higher and doesn't have the counter stop (i.e. you can't max out the score on DC like you can on CPS2). Looking at my old DC scores compared with my CPS2 scores, I do think that higher scores are easier on the DC just in case anyone is curious. Perhaps I will take runs on both this month and see how that works out.

Anyway...

Skate323k137, 9.117.207.470, Lv.4, Red, Jpn CPS2

Some noob advice for this one;

The piercing cannon is clutch especially early on. Learning the rhythm for it is pretty important. Learn what enemies you need to pick off with it. Also, when you encounter slowdown especially on some of the bosses, you have to slow down your tapping to suit, otherwise you'll end up on normal shot. It's kinda tricky... if you're playing on DC, the auto piercing button makes the game a lot easier (even if it is kinda cheap to use it).

The best advice I got (and can give) on this one is to master throwing bullets back in a split second so you're charged back up to do it again quickly. Getting stuck holding down the vortex and draining the meter will hang you out to dry once you're past the first stage or two. Stick and move...

FOMOCO&CO

Belnar Institute Student
20 Year Member
Pics are promoted. Also, and I'll track for the top 10 at least.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I'm not really sure how to play this game so....
Kidpanda - 8,253,952,820 - Lvl 3 - Red - DC

eIJ1dmb.jpg

Last edited:

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Not sure if you're joking or not Panda, but if you're not joking... buy the strategy in the DC shop. It'll teach you the chains and such for each level (not that I can pull them off well after the first couple levels lol)

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Oh no,I'm really not joking at all, I've never really understood this game. I kinda just shoot and move and try to throw bullets back. Hell I didn't even know you could aim the bullets you threw back until today.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Oh no,I'm really not joking at all, I've never really understood this game. I kinda just shoot and move and try to throw bullets back. Hell I didn't even know you could aim the bullets you threw back until today.

Haha word. There are a couple strategies for that, one is to just pull away from the enemy real quick and send them back, the other is what I've heard called the "gigawing" method where you do a quick arc with the joystick before you release to kinda spread out your return fire. I tend to use a combination of both, but the main key like I said before is don't get stuck holding it down to grab too many bullets, as soon as it activates and you have any bullets captured just let em fly and move to a clear(er) area. You get a split second of invincibility after you let go, you can use that to your advantage. The quicker you let go, the faster you can recharge and repeat.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Sorry guys, that's the only score you're getting out of me on this one. Now I know why I sold it. I hate this game and it infuriates me. Not even Ibara makes me this mad. I almost just broke my DC controller.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Sorry guys, that's the only score you're getting out of me on this one. Now I know why I sold it. I hate this game and it infuriates me. Not even Ibara makes me this mad. I almost just broke my DC controller.
Lol'd at this. Don't know how many times I've felt like this. Some games are just relentless

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Out of curiosity, what are the scoring differences between DC and CPS2? I thought it was just some extra digits added to the DC to avoid counterstops. Which, as much as I love everyone here, I don't think any of us will be doing by the end of the month.

It's worth mentioning that shmupmame got an update for Mars Matrix a few years back. It plays well there, and even adds the auto-pierce from the DC version on a second button. However I personally don't recommend using auto pierce in either version, as it can mess up shield timing when you need to switch quickly.