Batman the animated series thread. Weakshit discussion of TDKR here. go to other thread.

Normdog

Kula's Diamond
10 Year Member
What are the guys chanting in the background of the trailer btw? anypne have a clue

I'm still not sure what the guys are chanting in the background. But in the trailer someone does tell Bruce that it means "rise."

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
BANE_breaking_batman_060311.jpg

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Bane sucks and I hate the fact that they're using him in this movie.

I'd have much rather seen Talia Al Ghul coming for a sort of revenge and then falling for Bruce. That way, she could be conflicted about her feelings to help give us an interesting and layered villainess. And then her and Selina could duke it out for Bruce's soul while he's still very hurt and vulnerable over Rachel's death and the fact that the city hates him after the events of The Dark Knight (remember, he took the blame for everything that happened at the end.) And then you add Dick Grayson in to really drive the point that this movie is about Bruce needing to be responsible in life and not just live for vengeance against his parents' killer and those like him. He need to be responsible for the safety of Gotham, for the people he loves and for himself. Regardless of how others interpret his actions.

Having said all of that, this is Nolan and he makes good movies. If anyone could make Bane worth a damn, it's the cast, crew and writers of this movie.

And Bane is nowhere near Batman's greatest nemesis. Those three have already appeared in Nolan's movies (or will):

Joker
Ras Al Ghul
Catwoman

Bane is mid tier. At best.

Last edited:

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Remember when everyone laughed and thought the Joker test shots/makeup stills were ridiculous and Nolan was a fucking idiot?

Good times...GOOD TIMES

Hold off on your opinions until it's out..

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Bane sucks and I hate the fact that they're using him in this movie.

I'd have much rather seen Talia Al Ghul coming for a sort of revenge and then falling for Bruce. That way, she could be conflicted about her feelings to help give us an interesting and layered villainess. And then her and Selina could duke it out for Bruce's soul while he's still very hurt and vulnerable over Rachel's death and the fact that the city hates him after the events of The Dark Knight (remember, he took the blame for everything that happened at the end.) And then you add Dick Grayson in to really drive the point that this movie is about Bruce needing to be responsible in life and not just live for vengeance against his parents' killer and those like him. He need to be responsible for the safety of Gotham, for the people he loves and for himself. Regardless of how others interpret his actions.

Having said all of that, this is Nolan and he makes good movies. If anyone could make Bane worth a damn, it's the cast, crew and writers of this movie.

And Bane is nowhere near Batman's greatest nemesis. Those three have already appeared in Nolan's movies (or will):

Joker
Ras Al Ghul
Catwoman

Bane is mid tier. At best.
I didn't even know who scarecrow was until Batman Begins and I thought that was a great villain. Don't know who Bane is....and well I'm sure it will be the same opinion.

I will say that I'm a bit confused as to how Bane is supposed to trump Joker though. Joker wanted pure chaos and anarchy and I guess Bane just wants to destroy everything? I guess its a natural progression in evil deeds, but as a viewer it seem less interesting.

Even with that said, I enjoyed the first two films and it seemed like they wisely took their time with this film to make it good.

And seriously Mr. Freeze?

I had a laughed in certain shots where Christian Bale looked just like he did in American Psycho, slicked back hair and all. I wonder if Cat Woman likes Huey Lewis and the News?

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I will say that I'm a bit confused as to how Bane is supposed to trump Joker though. Joker wanted pure chaos and anarchy and I guess Bane just wants to destroy everything? I guess its a natural progression in evil deeds, but as a viewer it seem less interesting.

Thematically, at least as far as the movies are concerned, here is my take:

Joker didn't want nihilism. He wanted complete anarchy. To show everyone that despite everything that they hold to, everything that makes them believe they are good...when they are pushed too hard, they will revert to barbarism. All of the things they hold up as being sacred will be revealed to be worthless as they all realize that deep down inside, they're all just as chaotic and given to violence on a whim as he is. That's the ultimate joke to him.

In this, Bane seems to want to just shatter everything, destroy it utterly. That's kind of more scary because Joker knows he needs society in order to subvert it and people can at least fight for something they believe in and redeem it. Bane wants to utterly wipe it out, as far as I can tell.

So I can see Bane's goal as trumping the Joker's. It's an interesting philosophical premise to explore in a Batman movie and Nolan should be able to effectively examine it in his version of the Batman universe.

I still just generally dislike Bane, though. The character, his sensibilities, everything about him, screams 'shitty 90s era comic book super villain.'

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
I still just generally dislike Bane, though. The character, his sensibilities, everything about him, screams 'shitty 90s era comic book super villain.'

Lol, where is Lobo when you need him to trump them all?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
No, only a dumbass would. Thanks for trying anyway.

Dude, re-read your post. Stop being a douche just to be a douche. I love the simpsons, however homer's shirt is stupid. The white shirt? No you fucking ass hole, the one he wore in episode 7G234. Duh. Nobody that's not a mind reader would have understood what point you were trying to make, so stop acting like it's everyone else's fault. :(

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
the only problem here is that they have the wrong man cast as Batman....

JimParsons04.jpg

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Dude, re-read your post. Stop being a douche just to be a douche. I love the simpsons, however homer's shirt is stupid. The white shirt? No you fucking ass hole, the one he wore in episode 7G234. Duh. Nobody that's not a mind reader would have understood what point you were trying to make, so stop acting like it's everyone else's fault. :(

Honestly Spike I love ya good sir, but would you kindly fuck off?

I'm not talking about some obscure bit of clothing in the film. I'm not talking about what she's wearing in frame 154,732 of the film. I'm talking about her costume she wears in the film as Catwoman. How is that so hard to decode? Do I really have to spell it out for you?

Then I'm the bad guy because I had to slap some sense into our misguided friend?

Sometimes I'm not sure about some of you. It's not my fault you made a poor assumption. You rant and rave then baawwww once someone puts your running assumptions in check.

Last edited:

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member

I'm not talking about some obscure bit of clothing in the film. I'm not talking about what she's wearing in frame 154,732 of the film. I'm talking about her costume she wears in the film as Catwoman. How is that so hard to decode? Do I really have to spell it out for you?

Then I'm the bad guy because I had to slap some sense into our misguided friend?

Sometimes I'm not sure about some of you. It's not my fault you made a poor assumption. You rant and rave then baawwww once someone puts your running assumptions in check.

At no point did you say "the film". You spoke of the trailer, and immediately brought up her costume. Now blow yourself you god damn dick.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
At no point did you say "the film". You spoke of the trailer, and immediately brought up her costume. Now blow yourself you god damn dick.

I hate pretentious cunts. Spike is a decent guy.

I guess by your definition I just called you a pretentious decent cunt.

Lesson of the day: Periods aren't just those moments of serendipity denoting you pulled out in time, they are also helpful breaks between thoughts and phrases.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
The story is starting to remind me of Batman:Prey.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member

Honestly man, the original reply was on point. Its the logically right play based on the word play.

Anyways, on topic...

I want freeze because he had a romantic sub plot that was just amazingly done in the animated series.

Bane is a fucking horrible enemy, hes like croc. He belongs in the background of a bigger enemy. Riddler in this darker style would have been an amazing choice.

Real sad its gotta go out with such a shitty villain. Catwoman is cool and all, but she needs a break from anything batman that's going to be remotely serious.

Last edited:

Reality Check

World Hero
Bane is a fucking horrible enemy, hes like croc. He belongs in the background of a bigger enemy.

You're ignorant to the type of character Bane is. There's more to Bane than being a brute with a steroid addiction. He's a master planner in the same vein as Batman. He beat Bats in his own game in Knightfall, The only other person Ra's Al Ghul believed to be a suitable heir to his empire, lead the Secret Six. The cartoons and video games completely ignore this aspect of the character and just uses him a brute.