BEST TV Shows to watch... CURRENTLY...

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I binged it, feel they did the game justice.
If you like the universe I suggest a watch.
I've played all the modern ones (even a fair bit of 76) so I'm into it.

I watched up to episode 3 and definitely think the tone and vibe is perfect.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
What if I've never played the games? Will it still make sense?

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yeah you'll miss out on some of the references and jokes, the games have a very specific sense of humor.

The first episode does a pretty good job establishing everything though so it's very accessible.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The last season of Curb Your Enthusiasm is over, 12 seasons over 24 years. Episodes were hit and miss this season, overall I enjoyed it but it couldn't hang with the earlier seasons of the show. I was grateful that the storylines that carried over from last season did not last long this season.

The final episode, titled No Lessons Learned, was a perfect finale. As the episode went on, a light clicked in my head to see what they were doing. The surprise guest star even surprised me, was not expecting him to show up but from just typing that you guys can guess who it was, probably. I know they always say whatever season they make is the last season, but this is without a doubt the real final season. I'm happy the show carried on for so long, even if later seasons couldn't touch the earlier seasons.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Not sure if anyone has watched 3 Body Problem on Netflix.

I read the trilogy of books several months ago and enjoyed them greatly. They were a slow burn and ended not exactly how I would have expected. Kind of out of left field if you ask me, but when I turned the last page I thought "well shit that was a fun read."

The Netflix show is quite different in the minutiae, but the broad strokes of the story are there. This first season covers the first book, a tiny bit of the second and elements from the 3rd. Some stuff is shifted around timing wise, characters are changed like they gender swapped the series' first main character and race swapped the second main character who becomes important in the 2nd and 3rd books, and they are already setting up plot lines that don't even become a thing until the second half of the second book. But I think the changes weren't terrible.

Come to think of it 99% of the cast has been race swapped as the book takes place primarily in China with the Chinese people at the forefront. But eh, gotta america it up I guess.

All told, it was enjoyable. Even if some of the stuff got the switcharoo on it. Im looking forward to what happens if they do a 2nd season and 3rd. The story gets pretty out there. Akin to the differences between the first Ender's Game book and the final 7 books.

I have the Chinese version but have only seen a couple of episodes. It seems way closer to the books so far and is interesting but I just havent really gotten into the meat of the show yet.

edit: Looks like someone did in fact mention this show. Yeah the main girl they got is 100% non-believable as the character she's supposed to be. 100% wrong casting.

The Completely Made Up Adventures of Dick Turpin

Its got Noel Fielding in it. That alone is enough to warrant a watch. Go watch it. Only thing missing from the first season are Matt Berry and Richard Ayoade, but even so - great first season. Also, its got Mark Heap in it, so yeah. Its great.

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Halo Season 2

First season is so god damned horrible I'm not even going to bother pirating the 2nd. I don't care if they get Steve Downes and Jennifer Hale to reprise their roles. Those fuckers RUINED any chance of me ever wanting to watch that shit.

Bunjie/343 should be ashamed of themselves for selling out THAT hard when they didn't even have to sell out.

Reactions: jro

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
watched the first half of the season for the fallout show on Amazon. it's okay. they try to force the goofiness of "the boys" too much into it and there is some lazy writing...but it's entertaining enough that I was pleasantly surprised.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
I binged it, feel they did the game justice.
If you like the universe I suggest a watch.
oops I guess you guys already discussed it. maximus is a terrible character and the writers are fucking him up the most. also, if there is no The Master...this will be a terrible fail.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Physical 100 Season 2 - fun as hell, just like the first season. Little bit less impressive though, I dunno, the challenges and the challengers were a little bit less impressive. MMA guys gotta stop losing.

Tokyo Vice - excellent overall. Some bad dialogue that just didn't work for the rest of the show but overall really liked it. Elgort quite good hope to see him in more stuff. Really well executed ending.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
First season is so god damned horrible I'm not even going to bother pirating the 2nd. I don't care if they get Steve Downes and Jennifer Hale to reprise their roles. Those fuckers RUINED any chance of me ever wanting to watch that shit.

Bunjie/343 should be ashamed of themselves for selling out THAT hard when they didn't even have to sell out.

Bungie has nothing to be ashamed of (well…with respect to Halo at least.) They haven’t had anything to do with Halo since the Xbox 360 (yeah seriously, it’s been over a decade.)

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Finished Fallout and I kind of loved it--just a super fun show and definitely spot on look/tone-wise to the Bethesda games.

I really liked the three-way split between the leads, but that does lead to my biggest gripe in Max's character and story feeling far weaker than Lucy and Coop's.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
Finished Fallout and I kind of loved it--just a super fun show and definitely spot on look/tone-wise to the Bethesda games.

I really liked the three-way split between the leads, but that does lead to my biggest gripe in Max's character and story feeling far weaker than Lucy and Coop's.
finished it. definitely a fun watch and recommend to people that like this genre of shows...but yeah, they ruined maximus and made him not likable AND not interesting. too much contrived bs when there was any number of ways to make him interesting. like forcing that Michael Rapaport scene was dumb as fuck.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Finished Fallout last night and really enjoyed it. I was actually surprised at just how good it turned out. Nice to see Walton Goggins finally get some real appreciation. Also loved the Matt Berry cameo.

It's funny though, it being an Amazon show about mega corporations literally destroying the world in the name of capitalism and total control. Kind of ironic.

Last edited:

promking

Armored Scrum Object
The last season of Curb Your Enthusiasm is over, 12 seasons over 24 years. Episodes were hit and miss this season, overall I enjoyed it but it couldn't hang with the earlier seasons of the show. I was grateful that the storylines that carried over from last season did not last long this season.

The final episode, titled No Lessons Learned, was a perfect finale. As the episode went on, a light clicked in my head to see what they were doing. The surprise guest star even surprised me, was not expecting him to show up but from just typing that you guys can guess who it was, probably. I know they always say whatever season they make is the last season, but this is without a doubt the real final season. I'm happy the show carried on for so long, even if later seasons couldn't touch the earlier seasons.
Mocha Joe.
He's got the beans.
Do you do Podcasts? The curb podcast is great, I was blown away to learn most of what Susie says to Larry is improv, just like the whole show.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
finished it. definitely a fun watch and recommend to people that like this genre of shows...but yeah, they ruined maximus and made him not likable AND not interesting. too much contrived bs when there was any number of ways to make him interesting. like forcing that Michael Rapaport scene was dumb as fuck.
They flip-flopped with his character too much and he wasn't as extreme as he should have been.

Lucy and Coop were both fairly extreme in their world views/actions and Max probably should have been as well given his upbringing in the Brotherhood, but he just came off as being kind of too malleable. Like every new situation he found himself in he sort of adapted to it instead of really having a firm opinion of his own, which made him less interesting in the world he was placed in compared to everyone else.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
They flip-flopped with his character too much and he wasn't as extreme as he should have been.

Lucy and Coop were both fairly extreme in their world views/actions and Max probably should have been as well given his upbringing in the Brotherhood, but he just came off as being kind of too malleable. Like every new situation he found himself in he sort of adapted to it instead of really having a firm opinion of his own, which made him less interesting in the world he was placed in compared to everyone else.
it was stupid stuff that bothered me more. like when being confronted with a couple things, he'd stutter and basically sob instead of just stating the facts as a non-guilty person would. made no sense. maximus is bad and they ruined the brotherhood of steel.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
First episode of The Sympathizer was pretty interesting. Downey seems to be enjoying taking on some seriously meaty roles in his post-MCU life.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I finished three body problem.

So the good guys are China, and the aliens are America, right?

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
No?

Earth, the good guys, technologically inferior but on a fast accelerating path.

Aliens, the bad guys, technologically advanced but slow changing, trying to stifle earth's progress and stop them leap frogging them.

Written by a Chinese guy.

Hmmmmmmmm.

Yes I got that lol. The meme was my "about to argue the point but.. oh shit youre on to something" response.