BEST TV Shows to watch... CURRENTLY...

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Lived is better than I thought it would be and is benefited quite a bit by both Lincoln's and especially Gurira's improvement as actors since the original show. Making the scripts tight and to the point is also a nice change.

I was hoping this would be laughably bad so I didn't lose another 10 meandering years to it. Oh well, guess I'm back in.

StevenK

10 Year Member
Last weekend someone said I looked like Rylan Clarke, a UK TV presenter who is quite good looking and a giant faggot, and they weren't trying to be complimentary

• keke
Reactions: jro

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Bleached teeth, colored beard, hair, eye brows and solariums

David Beckham ruined not only British males. Did someone hit his eyes before taking the pic or is he stoned?

StevenK

10 Year Member

David Beckham ruined not only British males. Did someone hit his eyes before taking the pic or is he stoned?
He is gay. This is the face of gaying.

StevenK

10 Year Member

I'm intrigued now, what is it you used to like about British men that has since slipped? :unsure:

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Freddie died and was just replaced by Adam Lambert. :crying:

It's not about they called you gay or this guy I don't know is gay. He is just fake as fuck and colors his eyebrows and goes to the solarium.

StevenK

10 Year Member
Apologies for shitting this thread up, I'll try and make amends by doing a review.

Unbelievable

TV miniseries, only 8 episodes. I don't want to call it a police procedural because they're usually boring by-the-numbers tv, it was better than that, but a cop show all the same. The main cop had a great voice, her partner was unnecessarily bitchy the whole way through and wholly unconvincing as a wife but that didn't take anything away from it. The younger girl did well as a wronged invisible.

The whole thing was me-too as fuck, but thankfully I think they focussed more on why some people get ignored by authority whilst conveying that it probably isn't, in the main, intentional, rather than 'evil men are out to destroy women'. There were still a few preachy segments thrown in for good measure, though.

It did a good job of making you feel the injustice, I liked it, and would watch something else with the main cop in it, Merritt Wever.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Started watching the new Guy Ritchie netfix series, The Gentlemen, which is either a spin-off or reboot of his movie of the same name from a few years back. I can't remember anything of the movie, so it's hard to say. 8 episodes, with Ritchie directing the first two. I'm four episodes in, and it's light, dumb fun. Just like a Guy Ritchie movie, except 8 hours instead of 2.

One unusual thing is that so far, it's very episodic like a 1980s tv show, rather than a building narrative like most modern series. Like Magnum PI or something, you could pretty much skip an episode and miss nothing. Maybe that changes in the final episodes.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I was hoping this would be laughably bad so I didn't lose another 10 meandering years to it. Oh well, guess I'm back in.
Watched the first episode last night and it was terrible. It wasn't laughably bad but it was super awkward and the pacing was terrible. Everything seemed forced and contrived. Also I forgot how bad of an actor Andrew Lincoln is.

It immediately reminded me why I stopped paying attention to anything TWD related years ago.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
3 Body Problem is uh, something. I have zero knowledge of the source materials but even I can tell this feels very dumbed down. Also the lead actress they cast as an Oxford nanotech pioneer might be the most unbelievable thing in the entire series. It's almost on the same level as Dr. Christmas Jones.

The whole show has a very network TV mini series event feel to it. It's too dumb for smart people and too smart for dumb people, a compromise that ultimately pleases no-one.

I've heard good things about the book and I can see some of the material is strong enough that it still shines through all the dullness and changes but meh.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Halo Season 2 has this, I dunno very bland feel to it? I like it for the most part when I have it on and then I immediately forget everything that happened when I turn it off. Schrieber is a huge MFer who I like a lot as Master Chief but the show just doesn't move much.

edit: I am gonna have to gonna have to goddamn sub to Netflix for a month to watch 3 Body Problem I admit it now. Benedict Wong better be very very sexy.

edit again: Walking Dead: TOWL is still surprisingly good. Bringing back Gabriel works pretty damn well and fits into the basic premise of using the characters people actually give a shit about.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
edit: I am gonna have to gonna have to goddamn sub to Netflix for a month to watch 3 Body Problem I admit it now. Benedict Wong better be very very sexy.
He's surly and he smokes a lot, he's probably the best character on the show and of course he's as good as he always is. The main character smokes a lot as well, which is actually kind of surprising these days now that I think about it.

Reactions: jro

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Looks like Tokyo Vice will be a pretty clear-cut three seasons I think. Really damn good show, hope they rein in the urge to overdo it.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The main character smokes a lot as well, which is actually kind of surprising these days now that I think about it.
You already know this, but Chinese men smoke a lot, big part of the culture. It's still automatically assumed that if you're a man, you smoke. I have had multiple instances from multiple men offer me a cigarette multiple times after I had already told them I don't smoke. It is the strangest goddamn thing.

Health awareness about smoking has finally been brought to attention in recent years but it's still common to see smoking in restaurants.

For a movie set partly during the Cultural Revolution, it makes sense to have the guys smoke. Thank mao everyone has forgotten about spittoons, though...no need to be too realistic.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
For a movie set partly during the Cultural Revolution, it makes sense to have the guys smoke. Thank mao everyone has forgotten about spittoons, though...no need to be too realistic.
It's actually mostly set in present day London and the main character is super hot white chick, someone who definitely wouldn't openly smoke. That's why it feels so weird. Benedict Wong smokes but it's part of his character's DGAF attitude so it doesn't feel weird.

Anyways, I'm almost done with the season and I can safely say it sucks. It's one of the most uneven shows I've ever seen. It reeks of studio think. On top of that it's just too ridiculous and convenient for it's own good. I have a feeling this is wildly different from the book. It feels like a major network TV show from the late 00's.

The Panama Canal scene was fucking sweet though.

StevenK

10 Year Member
I deserve this one, I was adequately warned, but I went and did it anyway.

Walking Dead - Rick and Morty

Shit tier soap opera dropped in an irrelevant zombie setting. They're making out like they're the love affair of a generation but I honestly don't remember them being together being much of a big deal throughout the whole original show.

And how has that goofy bowl-cut bint ended up as a main character? She was a monosyllabic mong, and now she's suddenly a best-of?

Last episode to watch then I can finally put TWD to rest forever.

StevenK

10 Year Member
It's actually mostly set in present day London and the main character is super hot white chick, someone who definitely wouldn't openly smoke. That's why it feels so weird. Benedict Wong smokes but it's part of his character's DGAF attitude so it doesn't feel weird.

Anyways, I'm almost done with the season and I can safely say it sucks. It's one of the most uneven shows I've ever seen. It reeks of studio think. On top of that it's just too ridiculous and convenient for it's own good. I have a feeling this is wildly different from the book. It feels like a major network TV show from the late 00's.

The Panama Canal scene was fucking sweet though.
Just watched the Panama canal scene, yeah, that was awesome.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Just watched the Panama canal scene, yeah, that was awesome.
It's all downhill from there.

I might check out some of the Chinese version to see how different it is. As is I have zero interest in a second season of the Netflix version. The initial season just left me completely indifferent.