BEST TV Shows to watch... CURRENTLY...

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Anyone watching Outer Range on Amazon?

Pretty compelling mystery so far.
3 episodes in. Pretty slow. I like the characters of Brolin and his wife. Maybe the sheriff. Everyone else is fucking insufferable so far. Brolin's two sons being the worst and most tired cliches. The show reminds me a little of that German series on netflix, Dark. Except that had much better characters. But even that, I lost interest in after the season 1 cliffhanger.

As for Outer Range, we're going to wait for more episodes to come out before we continue. With the show's slow pace, a week is too long a wait to watch the next couple episodes. For me, the mystery isn't mysterious enough, and poor Brolin is breaking his back carrying the entire series.

Also, after he fell in the hole and came back, why would he continue to throw things in the hole as if that were some kind of permanent solution to anything? Because otherwise, the character doesn't seem that stupid. My main hope for the series is that the story is told in one self-contained season. If it continues past that, I'm out.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Brassic
British comedy about a bunch of rural petty criminals, pretty funny at places, It's basically like Trailer Park boys with way better actors and higher production values. Also refreshing to see a modern British show without any Wokebot garbage.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
3 episodes in. Pretty slow. I like the characters of Brolin and his wife. Maybe the sheriff. Everyone else is fucking insufferable so far. Brolin's two sons being the worst and most tired cliches. The show reminds me a little of that German series on netflix, Dark. Except that had much better characters. But even that, I lost interest in after the season 1 cliffhanger.

As for Outer Range, we're going to wait for more episodes to come out before we continue. With the show's slow pace, a week is too long a wait to watch the next couple episodes. For me, the mystery isn't mysterious enough, and poor Brolin is breaking his back carrying the entire series.

Also, after he fell in the hole and came back, why would he continue to throw things in the hole as if that were some kind of permanent solution to anything? Because otherwise, the character doesn't seem that stupid. My main hope for the series is that the story is told in one self-contained season. If it continues past that, I'm out.

I’m absolutely agree that anything past a single season seems silly.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Better Call Saul - worth the wait. Took me a few minutes into the premier to remember what all they have to tie up from the end of S3, but smoothly back on track now. Heck of a way for Nacho to end up, very nicely done on his plot thread. Mike's pretty clearly the heart and soul of the show at this point and has been all along I suppose. Banks' scenes with Esposito have been great.

We Own This City - seems like HBO has been surprisingly low-key for a show that's from David Simon and feels very much like a proper successor to The Wire. Saw this pop up on the main page the other night, planned to watch a few minutes before I went to bed, then watched the episode start to finish and it just flew by. Really good, as should be expected given the cast and crew I suppose.

Winning Time - hilariously trashy, no doubt, but still entertaining mainly due to the cast. Riley's clearly having way too much fun as Buss, I really like Segel and Brody as Westphal and Riley, and Clarke is hammy as shit but entertaining. Quincy Isaiah was a killer find in casting, almost eerie how much he looks like the real Magic.

Flight Attendant Season 2 - not quite the same without such a unique hook as in season 1, but still a fun time killer if nothing else.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
We Own This City - seems like HBO has been surprisingly low-key for a show that's from David Simon and feels very much like a proper successor to The Wire. Saw this pop up on the main page the other night, planned to watch a few minutes before I went to bed, then watched the episode start to finish and it just flew by. Really good, as should be expected given the cast and crew I suppose.
Yeah, excellent first episode.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I’m probably the only dumbass here watching Moon Knight?
It's not very good. Oscar Isaac is good in the role but there's nothing else there.

Peacemaker puts all the Disney+ shows to shame.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
It's not very good. Oscar Isaac is good in the role but there's nothing else there.

Peacemaker puts all the Disney+ shows to shame.
I cant disagree here. Although Loki was fun, and Wandavision paid off (but those first 3 eps man....)

It's been pretty boring, actually. Last night's ep was more interesting than the rest of the season and its the penultimate episode. I like Oscar Isaac as well, and to be fair, I knew very little about the character other than what was on the back of the comic card back in the 90s. But I mean - if its a super hero show, you gotta at least put on the suit. The "moon knight" suit has been in the show maybe 4 times, and only one real action scene with it, and one with the Mr. Knight persona.

Its ok. Not Eternals bad, but not No Way Home good either.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I havent seen this weeks Halo disaster yet, but someone on the book of face said that MC apparently starts to like some girl.

what the fuck man.

edit: Also I read that M'Knight is gonna get a shorter series finale. Last episode is alleged to be 42 minutes. I doubt its gonna be a great payoff, but whatever.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Just watched the first episode of Undone season 2. Fantastic stuff.

They pretty much answered the central question of the first season in the manner I anticipated.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I cant disagree here. Although Loki was fun, and Wandavision paid off (but those first 3 eps man....)

Having grown up watching 50s, 60s, and 70s reruns I thought the first three episodes were great. Possibly genius.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
We watched the first episode of Russian Doll on netflix, and it was one of the most excruciating viewing experiences of my adult life.

First you take one of the most cliche, overdone premises ever. That's fine, there's theoretically still room for it to be done well, I guess, even if there's nothing original about it. But what really hurt it was the screenwriting. None of the characters talk to each other like human beings. Instead, it's 30 minutes straight of people monologuing AT each other, one after another. That fake-clever monologuing like a Kevin Smith movie but even worse somehow. I cought myself loudly sighing at multiple points, threw up my arms at least twice, and even tried closing my eyes and thinking about something -- ANYTHING -- else for a while. And I can't believe that first episode was only a half hour. I legit thought the episode was an hour that felt like two hours. So what it really was, was 24 minutes that felt like two hours. Fucking brutal.

Do not watch.

Watching it actually put me in such a bad mood, I called a wrap on the entire day. It's only 10:30 pm! I don't care, this day is now fucked, I want to be unconscious as soon as possible, because I cannot bear to just sit in this rage. I woke up two hours later, because of course, that's still earlier than I usually go to bed in the first place. Still angry. I had to start working just to try to take my mind off of it. Now it's morning and I'm still in a pretty foul mood. Plus tired as fuck by this point, which doesn't help.

Fuck Russian Doll and fuck netflix. You fucking assholes.

famicommander

15 Year Member
CW axed DC's Legends of Tomorrow after 7 seasons and Batwoman after 3 seasons today. Batwoman was pretty much a mess from the start anyway so nobody will really miss it. Legends of Tomorrow turned into a crazy dumb fun show after the shitty first season, though. Kind of bummed to see that one go.

That leaves 4 DC shows on the network:
The Flash - has been awful for years but they will keep renewing it as long as the cast returns because it's so successful
Superman and Lois - actually good, deservedly renewed for a third year (HBO co-production, which probably explains the quality)
Stargirl - also very good, also renewed (another HBO co-production)
Naomi - not very good, hasn't been renewed or canceled yet but will likely get axed after the season 1 finale airs in 2 weeks

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
CW axed DC's Legends of Tomorrow after 7 seasons and Batwoman after 3 seasons today. Batwoman was pretty much a mess from the start anyway so nobody will really miss it. Legends of Tomorrow turned into a crazy dumb fun show after the shitty first season, though. Kind of bummed to see that one go.

That leaves 4 DC shows on the network:
The Flash - has been awful for years but they will keep renewing it as long as the cast returns because it's so successful
Superman and Lois - actually good, deservedly renewed for a third year (HBO co-production, which probably explains the quality)
Stargirl - also very good, also renewed (another HBO co-production)
Naomi - not very good, hasn't been renewed or canceled yet but will likely get axed after the season 1 finale airs in 2 weeks
I've been out of the loop, but was Supergirl already canceled?

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
We watched the first episode of Russian Doll on netflix, and it was one of the most excruciating viewing experiences of my adult life.

First you take one of the most cliche, overdone premises ever. That's fine, there's theoretically still room for it to be done well, I guess, even if there's nothing original about it. But what really hurt it was the screenwriting. None of the characters talk to each other like human beings. Instead, it's 30 minutes straight of people monologuing AT each other, one after another. That fake-clever monologuing like a Kevin Smith movie but even worse somehow. I cought myself loudly sighing at multiple points, threw up my arms at least twice, and even tried closing my eyes and thinking about something -- ANYTHING -- else for a while. And I can't believe that first episode was only a half hour. I legit thought the episode was an hour that felt like two hours. So what it really was, was 24 minutes that felt like two hours. Fucking brutal.

Do not watch.

Watching it actually put me in such a bad mood, I called a wrap on the entire day. It's only 10:30 pm! I don't care, this day is now fucked, I want to be unconscious as soon as possible, because I cannot bear to just sit in this rage. I woke up two hours later, because of course, that's still earlier than I usually go to bed in the first place. Still angry. I had to start working just to try to take my mind off of it. Now it's morning and I'm still in a pretty foul mood. Plus tired as fuck by this point, which doesn't help.

Fuck Russian Doll and fuck netflix. You fucking assholes.
I watched the first season because the wife wanted to and she likes Nicky Nickles or whatever the fuck from Orange is the new Black.

I dont remember how many episodes there were, but lets call it 10. It's 10 episodes of TV I will never get back. Groundhog day did it in the 90s and it was 200x better.

Zero interest in the 2nd season.

Anyone watch the 2nd season of Raising Dion? I liked the first, but completely forgot about the new one.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
2 episodes into the second half of season 4 of Ozark. It continues to strain logic past it's breaking point but remains great regardless. It will be interesting to see how they wrap it up and tie it back to the beginning of the first episode of this season.

Reactions: jro

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I dont remember how many episodes there were, but lets call it 10. It's 10 episodes of TV I will never get back. Groundhog day did it in the 90s and it was 200x better.
Even the mediocre horror movie Happy Death Day To U did it at least 20x better. I still can't get over that Russian Doll episode only being a half hour. I've had miserable days working in an office after not sleeping the night before with the worst hangover in my life that felt shorter.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Finished the second season of Undone.

Just as good as the first, possibly even better. Such a great show.

This time there is no ambiguity about the ending, and I don't think there's anywhere they could take a third season. Everything seems wrapped up.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
2 episodes into the second half of season 4 of Ozark. It continues to strain logic past it's breaking point but remains great regardless. It will be interesting to see how they wrap it up and tie it back to the beginning of the first episode of this season.
Just finished it, and maaaaaybe to the credit of the showrunners and Bateman, they REALLY aren't interested in said shit. Or maybe they are to a fault almost, still kinda debating it.

Initial reaction to the ending was WTF get the fuck out of here, but the more I think about it the more I'm changing my mind and liking it. That's an ending that takes some balls I'd say. Honestly, given a few minutes now, digging it.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Tokyo Vice…yeah, or naw?
I like it, haven’t watch the season finale yet, but I’m up to that. I’ve discussed with @gusmoney and he’s read it’s all made up, even though it’s “based on a true story.” It’s entertaining though and that’s what counts.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Started it today. They are getting a ton of the little stuff correct, and the location scouting is up to par. When his editor mentions a girl committed suicide in jiyugaoka, and there’s actually a shot of toritsu-daigaku train station later in the show, that’s hella tight.

(Picture a Philly based TV show, where the editor says the suicide was in Northern Liberties; as there is a wide shot of 222 Gallery).

It was neat seeing the coffee shop I did homework in, late 90s Game Centers w/ candy cabs…lots of fan service (if you are a fan) and not cringy (if you are not).

The dude Jake Adelstein may be full of shit ala Frank Dux & Bloodsport; however, as you said-it’s entertaining.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Started it today. They are getting a ton of the little stuff correct, and the location scouting is up to par. When his editor mentions a girl committed suicide in jiyugaoka, and there’s actually a shot of toritsu-daigaku train station later in the show, that’s hella tight.

(Picture a Philly based TV show, where the editor says the suicide was in Northern Liberties; as there is a wide shot of 222 Gallery).

It was neat seeing the coffee shop I did homework in, late 90s Game Centers w/ candy cabs…lots of fan service (if you are a fan) and not cringy (if you are not).

The dude Jake Adelstein may be full of shit ala Frank Dux & Bloodsport; however, as you said-it’s entertaining.
Ha ha that’s exactly what I told @gusmoney last week Bloodsport is a crock but it’s still a fun movie!