BEST TV Shows to watch... CURRENTLY...

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Two episodes in I can't help but think Jeremy Strong is gonna run away with an Emmy for this season. His performance so far is the best I've seen on tv in a while. Kieran Culkin seems to be getting by far the lion's share of the best lines though.

The Righteous Gemstones premiere was solid. Started off slow, then kicked things into gear and stayed there.

The relationship between Tom and Greg is amazing.

I enjoyed the Gemstones premier but I can't help but thing Oh now it's Kenny Powers in a mega church. First he was in a middle school then a high school. Whatever, can't wait till Walton Goggins shows up.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I'm way late to the party but on season 3 of Daredevil - way better than I expected.
The Expanse - if you like sci-fi on any level, it's a must see (and i'm only in S1)

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I'm way late to the party but on season 3 of Daredevil - way better than I expected.
The Expanse - if you like sci-fi on any level, it's a must see (and i'm only in S1)
Started watching the Expanse recently. It's cool if a little jumpy with the 3 different groups of people involved.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The relationship between Tom and Greg is amazing.

I enjoyed the Gemstones premier but I can't help but thing Oh now it's Kenny Powers in a mega church. First he was in a middle school then a high school. Whatever, can't wait till Walton Goggins shows up.

The BOAR ON THE FLOOR!!! scene was pretty amazing.
Spoiler:
Tom's gonna hold that whole helping Greg not get murdered by Logan thing over Greg's head, right? Or maybe he's going to realize that Greg's one of the only decent people in the entire family and also a pretty good friend, and maybe he won't?

The thing with Connor will take some unexpected turn, I think. Right now his storyline is so bad I cringe any time he or Willa comes onscreen.

Yesterday's Gemstones was kind of boring, but the reveal at the end was done well. And hell yes bring on Walton Goggins.

Finished Mindhunter S2. I'm still not sure I like the latter half-season's change from interviewing to more traditional cop show.
Spoiler:
Tench should be thankful that Nancy left him and took their devil child with her. Her and the kid, and that storyline in general, were annoying. After last season's generally poor portrayal of women, it was cool to see Wendy end up being the most interesting character on the show, but man, Nancy was awful.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Spoiler:
Tom's gonna hold that whole helping Greg not get murdered by Logan thing over Greg's head, right? Or maybe he's going to realize that Greg's one of the only decent people in the entire family and also a pretty good friend, and maybe he won't?

The thing with Connor will take some unexpected turn, I think. Right now his storyline is so bad I cringe any time he or Willa comes onscreen.

Yesterday's Gemstones was kind of boring, but the reveal at the end was done well. And hell yes bring on Walton Goggins.

Finished Mindhunter S2. I'm still not sure I like the latter half-season's change from interviewing to more traditional cop show.
Spoiler:
Tench should be thankful that Nancy left him and took their devil child with her. Her and the kid, and that storyline in general, were annoying. After last season's generally poor portrayal of women, it was cool to see Wendy end up being the most interesting character on the show, but man, Nancy was awful.

Ona psychological issue, Nancy was 100% correct to ask Tench to move. It’s been shown that change of scenery can have a profound effect on psychological problems, especially attention deficit disorder, but also social issues. Tench chose his job and lost his wife. Good for the story, because kids suck, but also good for Nancy because she showed herself to be a strong mother, which is what season 2 seemed focused on.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Spoiler:

Greg still has the Cruise papers. In the end he'll fuck them all over once he sucked deep enough into the family.

Burning Blade

Crazed MVS Addict
Started watching Mrs. Maizel tonight, and so far it’s legit good. I don’t really get the Jewish humor and shit but it’s really pretty good. Started season two of Mindhunter and that’s also off to a good if not slow start...interested to see what happens with the BTK and Manson arcs.

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
Binge watched Russian Doll last night. It’s a show on Netflix and not what I had thought it was gonna be by the title. It was ok but gave really no answers or explanation beside bs timeline derived garbage. Basically she lives every day over and over if you watched the first few episodes you can essentially skip forward to the last two. I don’t know seemed like a lot of the same shit regurgitated and derived from movies and shows already produced. Idk didn’t really leave me with that gotta watch this new season feeling.

Glow was straight trash this season. Not sure why they even aired it. First season was good not great and down hill since.

The Boys on Amazon. Really enjoyed this and i hate super hero shit.

Speaking of super hero shows Doom Patrol was good, it dragged a little but overall pretty creative.

Finished season 2 of Ms Maziel and it was awesome so good I’ll rewatch the whole series before the new season starts.

Sinner season 2 was trash. Season one dragged so much but it was a decent show, gave up after episode 4 on season 2.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Binge watched Russian Doll last night. It’s a show on Netflix and not what I had thought it was gonna be by the title. It was ok but gave really no answers or explanation beside bs timeline derived garbage. Basically she lives every day over and over if you watched the first few episodes you can essentially skip forward to the last two. I don’t know seemed like a lot of the same shit regurgitated and derived from movies and shows already produced. Idk didn’t really leave me with that gotta watch this new season feeling.

It's Groundhog Day for hipsters, and also lame lol

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Really good episode of The Righteous Gemstones, Goggins was great. Succession was really solid as well, Greg and Roman both with really good chances of fucking absolutely everything up. Even Connor`s scene was good this week.

Edit: for real really great Gemstones episode, it's like Danny McBride has finally truly got it.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Watched the first episode of The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance today and I was very impressed with its ambition. As a story, I can't really judge it yet (need to see more eps) but I like the characters and I am really fascinated with how they are going to set up the movie, which isn't one of my favorite films but I recognize and respect what a technical tour de force that movie was. Even today, it's a marvel of film crafting. The gelflings are marching in the deepest recesses of the uncanny valley but everything else is pretty impressive. Great voice work by Taron Egerton, Mark Hamill, Awkwafina (silly name, not sorry I feel that way), Smon Pegg, Sigourney Weaver (the narrator), Kegan Michael Key, Helena Bonham-Carter and Andy Samberg (who I'm thrilled is involved).

If the series can maintain the overall consistency in its quality, we could be seeing a new standard in genre fare on television. The movie never really got me invested, but this TV series is getting me curious about all the world building I've missed from the various comic books and side projects. There is a pretty interesting story about an innocent world and how it becomes corrupted and falls to the apocalyptic state we see in the movie.

Fett

Camel Slug
Watched the first episode of The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance today and I was very impressed with its ambition. As a story, I can't really judge it yet (need to see more eps) but I like the characters and I am really fascinated with how they are going to set up the movie, which isn't one of my favorite films but I recognize and respect what a technical tour de force that movie was. Even today, it's a marvel of film crafting. The gelflings are marching in the deepest recesses of the uncanny valley but everything else is pretty impressive. Great voice work by Taron Egerton, Mark Hamill, Awkwafina (silly name, not sorry I feel that way), Smon Pegg, Sigourney Weaver (the narrator), Kegan Michael Key, Helena Bonham-Carter and Andy Samberg (who I'm thrilled is involved).

If the series can maintain the overall consistency in its quality, we could be seeing a new standard in genre fare on television. The movie never really got me invested, but this TV series is getting me curious about all the world building I've missed from the various comic books and side projects. There is a pretty interesting story about an innocent world and how it becomes corrupted and falls to the apocalyptic state we see in the movie.

I like it so far, but the Gelfling faces bug me a bit (the males in particular). Their faces look like they're made out foam rubber, and the texture just doesn't look right. In the original movie their skin had a softer appearance, which might be a result of shooting on film rather than digital 4K.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

arbormatt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
Just started watching The Boys. Only one episode in but it looks interesting.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I like it so far, but the Gelfling faces bug me a bit (the males in particular). Their faces look like they're made out foam rubber, and the texture just doesn't look right. In the original movie their skin had a softer appearance, which might be a result of shooting on film rather than digital 4K.

View attachment 54793

Not a bad guess. So far, the Gelflinigs are the only thing that break my immersion. I appreciate that they're trying to keep it visually consistent with the film but we've had over 30 years of cinematic technological evolution and innovation in that time and our eyes and brains have become simultaneously more scrutinizing and more dismissive at the same time. When Disney is spending obscene amounts of money for the kind of spectacle where we now say 'that was cool' and move on with our lives, it takes a bit of mental 'downshifting' to set aside the our biases and appreciate that this TV show is trying something new by, ironically, trying something old.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
The Naked Director on Netflix is fantastic, and is total batshit in the best way possible. I will say that 80s Japan is very interesting to observe and this show is a fantastic window into that.

Glow season 3 was really good despite its lack of wrestling, and Mindhunter season 2 was good....just,....well, I was ultra defeated by the end of it.

Oh, and there was Wu Assassins too.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Been watching dark crystal:age of resistance as well i don't need to go into details,since taiso cover it all ready.I grew up on the original movie as a kid beside being freak out by it at the time.It's where jim henson made some thing very serious and dark for a change.Id say this prequel does the source material justice.Though i can see the complaints towards how puppets in the tv series look compared to the movie.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Do i need to watch the original first before getting into the tv series? For some reason i never did watch this going growing up. They just look too weird.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Do i need to watch the original first before getting into the tv series? For some reason i never did watch this going growing up. They just look too weird.

That shit weirded me out when I was 10, and it still does. Only way I'd watch either is if I'm determined, for some reason, to never sleep again in my life.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member

I think you should.

There's this notion that if you watch things in chronological order, you're getting the story in some ordered fashion that 'makes sense.'

I've always believed that prequels are meant, specifically, to be watched after having familiarity with the stories that came first in terms of publication history.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Dark Crystal series is the best series I've watched in years. Just really strong production values. There are non of those cheap mechanisms series tend to put in place to create a sense of suspense or drama just to keep you hooked in. I was a little kid when I first watched the film. This series does it justice

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I think it's worth a watch. Kept me hooked anyway.

Same. Not for everyone. Chances are high that expectations were wrong going in thanks to getting bad advice on what show was like. (For example, “it’s like twin peaks!” - no show is, always ends in “I hate this.”)