Career Thread: Whats your job?

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Just a painter.

Started out when I was 15 doing residential, then went commercial from my early 20s to early 30s, now doing government contracts that aren't necessarily limited to painting. Like for example, last summer I worked on the restoration of the JC Van Horne bridge with my old man...I wonder if that town will even remember us as the 2 painters from Ontario that restored a kilometer long bridge where local 10-15 man crews were failing miserably and going broke.....

If you ever drive from Quebec to New Brunswick on a green trans provincial bridge, just know that your boy "Spoon" worked for months grinding rust off that motherfucker, and that I seriously contemplated bridge-themed suicide at least once every 2 weeks or so on that jaerb. Because it sucked harder than anything I've ever done for a living.

So basically, I'm just a really lazy white cunt who works really hard in short bursts, gets paid like a motherfucker, blows the money on stupid shit/lives on it for a while and then goes out and finds more shitty work that nobody else has the stomach for.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Electronic tech. Basically build/design hidden cameras. Mostly for assorted law enforcement, but some civilian.

Debating beginning side work for niche projects that my company has no interest in doing, despite some demand.

Last edited:

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Just a painter.

Started out when I was 15 doing residential, then went commercial from my early 20s to early 30s, now doing government contracts that aren't necessarily limited to painting. Like for example, last summer I worked on the restoration of the JC Van Horne bridge with my old man...I wonder if that town will even remember us as the 2 painters from Ontario that restored a kilometer long bridge where local 10-15 man crews were failing miserably and going broke.....

If you ever drive from Quebec to New Brunswick on a green trans provincial bridge, just know that your boy "Spoon" worked for months grinding rust off that motherfucker, and that I seriously contemplated bridge-themed suicide at least once every 2 weeks or so on that jaerb. Because it sucked harder than anything I've ever done for a living.

I understand some of your previous posts about QC and NB's people now. I'll definitely remember this next time I cross this bridge.

Andy Is A Bastard

A Bastard, Andy Is,
Senior Game Advisor at a Gamestop for the last ~5 years. The company is contemptible, the pay/benefits are mediocre and it's retail BUT I love every set of guys and gals that I've had the pleasure of working with, so it's fine for the time being.

I'm close to looking for a new vocation/seeking other avenues of employment, but not that desperate yet.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I understand some of your previous posts about QC and NB's people now. I'll definitely remember this next time I cross this bridge.

My sister lives in Montreal and she loves it, Quebec City is also my favorite city in North America.

These people were French acadiennes though, on the Quebec side it was the Miq'Mac reservation....both demographics are very lazy, jobless, broke and angry.

At first they paid no attention to us in town, but for the last few months on the job, the town took notice of us ....in very a bad way.

They were trashing our jobsite in the middle of the night, they stole thousands of dollars in equipment, they'd be driving by yelling French obscenities at us...while on the job a few even drove by and threw trash at me. Cops hated us too, they never helped with anything but were always quick to assert their authority and threaten to shut down the job (and financially destroy us in the process, since the security deposit we paid could buy a house).

I'll never forget the time I woke up at 3 AM to paint topside (so no overspray got on peoples cars) and a fucking indian kid riding in a maroon leSabre drove by me with his middle finger out and he pretty much kept it out for the entire trip down the bridge as if to say "FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WORK"

Sometimes I'd be hanging off the edge of the bridge, wind blowing hard off the Restigouche....while running a high powered, unguarded angle grinder and these guys would drive by and blow their car horns (and even air horns!) or they would yell, or rev their faggot assed Harleys....basically trying to startle me when a slip or a fuck up would either send me off the side, or slice my hands up...or both.....and some of the people doing this shit were like in their 50s for fuck sakes!

And that's just the townspeople....the actual job site was like the fucking set of SAW II.

I was a misanthrope before that job...but now?

Now I wanna be the guy who pushes the red button.

Last edited:

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I always wonder what non technical people do for a living. I think those jobs are the more interesting ones.

People think I'm crazy when I mention
I used to love washing dishes back in the day.
The most interesting thing I do now is my run
to the office kitchen to get another cup of coffee.

Last edited:

Andy Is A Bastard

A Bastard, Andy Is,

Yikes. After putting up with all that, I must say that you are indeed a man made of stern stuff.

Also, I like to think that no jury in the world would convict you...but we both know that isn't true.

stormy

B. Jenet's Firstmate
10 Year Member
I audit and fund auto loans for Audi/VW. It's an alright job. Pretty easy anyway.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I have a BS in Secondary Education in the Social Studies.

I currently hold a single subject teaching credential in social sciences in the state of California.

My current job is as a teacher's assistant/child care worker at a group home for "severely emotionally disturbed" youth. I work primarily with boys age 14-18.

Sometimes when a boy misbehaves, like when they're throwing a desk through a window, I get to wrestle them to the ground with my co-workers. Only been "injured" once doing so (don't fuck with 'duf) when this one particular fucker bit the top of my hand. Got lucky, he only got loose skin, the bastard. Protip: Don't get bit.

I get to dispense psychotropic medication too. Some of these kids are on a lot of shit. Though, from my own experience some of it appears to help when combined with therapy, but I digress.

Sometimes I get to be the substitute teacher, which is koll. Basically have to do jack shit all day and get paid more.

So to sum it up: I have a college degree and I prostitute my time for an hourly wage. I am a wage slave.

I'm looking to getting certified to be a special education teacher in CA so I can be a teacher at the school the group home i work for runs. Pay would be shit but job would be stupid easy. School is expensive though.

I have no ambition. I wish I had a traditional skill. Actually I wish I had no aversion to joining the military and killing brown people. That'd be easy.

Last edited:

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
I'm a professional graphic designer.

I consider myself very fortunate to be able to pay the bills doing something I'm very passionate about.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
My sister lives in Montreal and she loves it, Quebec City is also my favorite city in North America.

These people were French acadiennes though, on the Quebec side it was the Miq'Mac reservation....both demographics are very lazy, jobless, broke and angry.

At first they paid no attention to us in town, but for the last few months on the job, the town took notice of us ....in very a bad way.

They were trashing our jobsite in the middle of the night, they stole thousands of dollars in equipment, they'd be driving by yelling French obscenities at us...while on the job a few even drove by and threw trash at me. Cops hated us too, they never helped with anything but were always quick to assert their authority and threaten to shut down the job (and financially destroy us in the process, since the security deposit we paid could buy a house).

I'll never forget the time I woke up at 3 AM to paint topside (so no overspray got on peoples cars) and a fucking indian kid riding in a maroon leSabre drove by me with his middle finger out and he pretty much kept it out for the entire trip down the bridge as if to say "FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WORK"

Sometimes I'd be hanging off the edge of the bridge, wind blowing hard off the Restigouche....while running a high powered, unguarded angle grinder and these guys would drive by and blow their car horns (and even air horns!) or they would yell, or rev their faggot assed Harleys....basically trying to startle me when a slip or a fuck up would either send me off the side, or slice my hands up...or both.....and some of the people doing this shit were like in their 50s for fuck sakes!

And that's just the townspeople....the actual job site was like the fucking set of SAW II.

I was a misanthrope before that job...but now?

i dont understand this, why were they pissed at you guys?

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I work in an Italian restaurant and deliver food. I'm also a full time dad. I really need to get a more fulfilling job . I'm pretty sick of the restaurant biz but I love being a dad. best job ever!

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Electronic tech. Basically build/design hidden cameras. Mostly for assorted law enforcement, but some civilian.

Debating beginning side work for niche projects that my company has no interest in doing, despite some demand.

Electronic tech here also, trying move up in my career into SpaceX

Currently working for a company that builds broadcasting control panels.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I'm a DJ part time(mostly deep house) & I have a side gig repairing cell phones. Not exactly a 'full time' thing, but at least it pays the bills.

scrubsy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I am night audit at 2 hotels. For those who don't know what that is, I basically total the money for the day and make sure it all balances out. Also freelance graphic designer on the side which go great together because I get plenty of downtime at night to work on my graphic gigs.

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
I´m a Film Colorist living and working in Macau at the moment. Worked for 8 years at a FilmLab in portugal as senior colorist; grading docs,shorts, commercials and feature films. From 16mm, 35mm or Digital.
As well a few restoration projects... i´m credited as color grading supervisor on a certain Criterion Collection release.
In macau i also do some edit, supervise the post workflow and master DCP.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Phone technician/cabler. Mainly commercial but government stuff as well. Been doing this for a year so far and it's good work, travel around a lot so I get to see parts of the country I haven't seen before. There is a hell of a lot behind you making a phone call.... ill say that.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
I work in an Italian restaurant and deliver food. I'm also a full time dad. I really need to get a more fulfilling job . I'm pretty sick of the restaurant biz but I love being a dad. best job ever!

Slangin' them pies!!!!

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
PhD student in counseling psych. Not totally sure which area I want to be in after graduation, maybe corrections.

Also a server to get a few extra bucks.

Don't most career students just stay in academia?

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
i dont understand this, why were they pissed at you guys?

No good paying jobs in town and the government brought us in from a "richer" province. Even though we TRIED to hire locally from both sides of the bridge, they just weren't worth the trouble or money. They were all crooks, con-men or druggies....any decent workers they had already left for greener pastures by then.