CONAN I love this game edition

So, I impulse bought that old Conan game for 360 in the checkout isle at Best Buy. It was only $15, so I thought I didn't have much to lose. Come to find out after playing it this weekend that it's a complete blast.

It's a hack 'n slash game that uses simple combos for battle like X X Y, or X Y B...shit like that. I assumed this game would probably suck, but man I'm hooked. It's highly flavorable to the Conan lore that I've read in the Robert E Howard books, some of the stages grabbed me as real visual interpretations of some of the stories in The Coming of Conan collection.

You earn red runes (Money) in combat, finding treasure chests, and rescuing beautiful naked slave girls. Yes, naked. The money is then used to buy (unlock) new moves, and I'd say there are about 30 new moves to get. You get to choose which kind of moves you want to buy too, such as one handed weapon, two handed, and dual wield weapon moves. Some are grapple combos as well.

The funnest moments for me so far is learning the Parry system, this is a very cool looking set of moves that are triggered with a quick time button press during a timely block in battle. Man, these are awesome, this is where the heads come off in a cinematic style, or where you can slice a guy completely in half...lengthwise!

For $15 I just gotta give this game some props. It's got some decent music, it's really flavorful to Conan lore, and it's bloody as hell. There's a demo on Live too, but I didn't think the demo shows all the stuff you can do well enough, although you do get to impale people in it.

And so there is no confusion, I'm talking about this game, not the shitty mmorpg on PC:

51BX-RawjOL._SS400_.jpg

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
My friend told me he picked this up new at Walmart also for around $10 to $15 - I can't remember which.

Thats a price i'm willing to pay for a goofy 3D hack 'n slash adventure.

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
I still play Gauntlet: Dark Legacy with friends whenever I get the chance. There's nothing like a well-made hack-and-slash, though I've gotta admit I would never do it alone; the factor of having people screaming at each other "SAVE ME FROM DEATH! YOU'RE THE MAGICIAN!" can't be replicated, A.I. or otherwise.

Would you consider this "Conan" game to be of the same brood, or something different entirely?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I still play Gauntlet: Dark Legacy with friends whenever I get the chance. There's nothing like a well-made hack-and-slash, though I've gotta admit I would never do it alone; the factor of having people screaming at each other "SAVE ME FROM DEATH! YOU'RE THE MAGICIAN!" can't be replicated, A.I. or otherwise.

Would you consider this "Conan" game to be of the same brood, or something different entirely?

Conan, to my knowledge, doesn't have multiplayer.

I think X-Men Legends/Marvel Ultimate Alliance is a nice multiplayer dungeon crawl experience.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
If you're willing to pay $300 for a console that has a self destruct system, then $15 for a fun game is a mega-bargin.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Got for $6.48 at the Circuit City sale. Still haven't played it yet.

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
I spent last week playing through Conan after I picked it up at Wal-Mart for $10. Overall I had a blast playing it up until the final boss fight which was much more of a pain in the ass than it needed to be.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
CONAN was the reason I was going to buy into the next generation of console... but I just couldn't do it. Besides, whenever I need to hack ppl up to death, Iv'e always got the orginally-a-Conan-game-but-lost-it's-license-and-was-renamed Rastan Saga by Taito on the PS2 Taito Legends disc. And when not playing that, there's still King of Dragons, Magic Sword, Golden Axe 1 & 2, Black Tiger, D&D: Tower of Doom, D&D: Shadow Over Mystara to get my fix. I've played the CONAN game and it's indeed awesome, it really is like someone "hacked" R.E. Howard's brain using a time machine or something... but it's not a reason to buy a new system.

Didn't realize the game had been out so long already. WOW.

:vik:

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
Bought it awhile ago for about $30 new. I was also totally surprised by this - it's a real little gem... up until the last boss fight, which was one of the most tedious video game experiences I've had.

Aside from that one little issue, it's a great game and I really enjoyed playing through the first 99% of it.

I have the Japanese version too, which means no nudity, and no fatalities or excessive gore, but I still had a lot of fun with it.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
I have the Japanese version too, which means no nudity, and no fatalities or excessive gore, but I still had a lot of fun with it.

:spock:

Isn't Japan the land of SCAT Eating bitches, xXxtremely perverted comic books, and everything else the Western world would consider FUBAR? Why would nudity, fatalities and excessive gore then be taken out of the game? Shit, Takashi Miike's film are more fucked in the head than anything R.E. Howard ever came up with. I'm truly stumped on this one.

:conf:

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
I've been touting this game as a great Conan experience for awhile now. I don't know that it was worth $60 at launch, but I bought it for $30 not long after and thought it was great. As an enthusiast of the literary Conan, I thought they did a stellar job of capturing Hyboria.

I don't think it did extremely well at retail though, especially being in the shadow of God of War. It's a shame, as I think with a touch more polish, this game could have shown up GoW with a better IP. I'm not counting on a sequel. :(

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I've been touting this game as a great Conan experience for awhile now. I don't know that it was worth $60 at launch, but I bought it for $30 not long after and thought it was great. As an enthusiast of the literary Conan, I thought they did a stellar job of capturing Hyboria.

I don't think it did extremely well at retail though, especially being in the shadow of God of War. It's a shame, as I think with a touch more polish, this game could have shown up GoW with a better IP. I'm not counting on a sequel. :(

You get to the last boss? Or anyone, for that matter? I got about halfway through and got pretty damn frustrated at one point, so I traded it in, and all the reviews (well, a few, at least :emb: ) said that the last boss was really annoying, so I figured I might not have missed a whole lot.

Maybe hearing differently I might be willing to drop $12 or whatever to grab another copy and start back up, see if my tolerance level has improved if I thought I could beat it.

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
:spock: Isn't Japan the land of SCAT Eating bitches, xXxtremely perverted comic books, and everything else the Western world would consider FUBAR? Why would nudity, fatalities and excessive gore then be taken out of the game? :conf:
The Japanese government didn't want a clearly un-Japanese hero being glorified to the point where people would start to question their history's superiority. :loco:

Looking around various sites, it's pretty clear the only real knock on the game is the final boss. I'm not looking forward to that battle, but for now the journey is a hella good time. I actually enjoy all the boss fights so far, the Sand Dragon, the Sorceress Queen and a Giant Squid...all epic battles. I take it that final guy is really cheesy or something.

Last edited:
Bought it awhile ago for about $30 new. I was also totally surprised by this - it's a real little gem... up until the last boss fight, which was one of the most tedious video game experiences I've had.

Aside from that one little issue, it's a great game and I really enjoyed playing through the first 99% of it.

Merc already pointed this out, but srsly, with the controversy this site has had with American Neo Geo censorship, the fact that Conan would be censored for blood and gore in Japan is some straight Bizarro world irony.

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
I take it that final guy is really cheesy or something.

It's just one of those "beat the guy down, he comes back with full health, beat him down again, he comes back with full health again" fights.

All together, there are SIX stages and an interactive cut scene to the battle. In three of the stages you fight the boss, in the other three he's invincible and you have to do things to the environment to kill him. The sixth stage is by far the most difficult and tedious. And then there's an interactive cut scene after that.

Thankfully, if you die during a stage, you don't have to start again all over, you just restart whatever stage you died in. Unfortunately, if you exit the game you have to start all over. This happened to me - I had somewhere to go so I had to stop playing, and I hadn't killed that bastard boss yet.

I strongly suggest to anyone who hasn't made it to the boss yet to check out the FAQ's at GameFAQ's to find out how to kill this guy properly. You'll save yourself a lot of time and grief.

Merc already pointed this out, but srsly, with the controversy this site has had with American Neo Geo censorship, the fact that Conan would be censored for blood and gore in Japan is some straight Bizarro world irony.

There have been a few, highly publicized knife slayings in the past ten years, with younger people as both perpetrators and victims. Since then, the amount of gore in video games has been drastically reduced. Oddly enough, the publishers are free to decide how much violence they want to include - there are no government imposed standards. There is government imposed game classification and labelling however (the CERO system) and certain games can't be sold to minors.

I think that certain game companies feel a sense of "social responsibility", and that's what keeps them from including excessive gore. (SNKP is obviously one of these.)

As for the nudity - 360 game sales are low enough, I guess THQ Japan felt that they could move a few more Conan units if the game was available to minors as well.

Kaioh

Sakura's Bank Manager
I too bought this game about a month ago. Saw it at Walmart for $10. Figured what the hell. Ended up loving it! Started on a second playthrough, but haven't played it much the past couple weeks. The last boss is a real pain in the ass!

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I paid $10 for this game and it is well worth it. I finished it twice to get most of the achievements and it is fun. Not the greatest thing but the boss is pretty tough.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
I picked up my in the circuit city close-out sale. Had to spend a real old gift card and it was already down to 7.99

I loved the demo just never jumped in with the game as I heard that it got redundant quick.

Playing the game though for myself, I love it. Has such a great feel... love being able to pick up and use different combinations of weapons and shields. Granted I didn't like the very first level with the ghosts/goblines... but once he flashed back, it was such a great adventure.

Does Valeria or Red Sonja show up in this at all? Maybe "Belit" ???
Conan's bitch in this game is A'Kanna, the warrior queen. I feel she's basically a representation of the Queen of the Black Coast, Belit, because she's in control of a pirate ship.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Conan's bitch in this game is A'Kanna, the warrior queen. I feel she's basically a representation of the Queen of the Black Coast, Belit, because she's in control of a pirate ship.

I think what Merc meant to ask was, "Is she nekkid?" ;)

Either way, sounds like this game is worth a sawbuck. Think I might grab the PS3 version.