Crappy canceled TV shows

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I remember watching a lot of crappy shows in the 90s.

They seemed to show up once or twice (usually before X-Files), get pre-empted by football, and then disappear into the ether, never to be heard from again.

These ones came to mind:

M.A.N.T.I.S.
Nowhere Man
Space: Above and Beyond
Space Precinct
Space Rangers
Strange Luck
Time Trax
VR.5

What crappy shows do you remember?

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Firefly. I still like it, bummer they only made one season.

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
When my friend annoyed me I'd make him lunch and force him to watch "Joey". We had a counter on how many times they mentioned Joey's sister's fake tits.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
War of the Worlds

Man I had good memories of those shows. Forgot about VR5.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
The original Flash live action show, and (I think it was called...) Viper, with the liquid metal transforming Dodge Viper.
On the other hand, although Xena, Sinbad and Hercules were pretty lame and goofy, they were more like a guilty pleasure and I miss those 3.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Dollhouse.

Horribly flawed mainly due to an awful lead, but it was still usually interesting and fun to watch. Plus, Fran Kranz.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I'm hoping every week... they cancel Supernatural... what a pile of Shit...

xROTx

PS. It's written for teenagers who want cliff notes on teh bible.... because it's a "LONG READ".... fuck em....

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
7907400_orig.jpg

kahel

Armored Scrum Object
All those annoying Lost knock-off.

1) Create an intriging mystery . No need to have an explanation because you won't be giving it any time soon.
2) Create long backstory for each character and start doing flashbacks
3) Give a tiny piece of the answer but with 10x more questions.
4) Repeat 2 and 3 till the rating falls off.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Firefly. I still like it, bummer they only made one season.

Firefly doesn't qualify as a crappy cancelled TV show. It's one of the best sci-fi shows of all-time, even though it was so short-lived.

xROTx

PS. It's written for teenagers who want cliff notes on teh bible.... because it's a "LONG READ".... fuck em....

Same. My wife loves it (for the handsome leads and comfortable formula of it all), but I usually go do something else while she watches it.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I began watching the relaunch of V...and the even shittier "The Cape" from a few years back.

Firefly shouldn't make this thread. If there was a thread titled "totally awesome shows that got fucked by idiotic TV execs" then yes, I would place Firefly on that list...

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
You shut your filthy whore mouth. Time Trax was fucking awesome.

Kung Fu: The Legend Continues comes to mind. Maybe Babylon 5? Those three shows were all made my the same production company and were all syndication-only, so it was exactly the kind of stuff that TV stations would use to fill the time back in the day between when sports programming ended here on the west coast, and when prime time programming began.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
The Tripods - loved that show so much. I remember very little about it but watching a clip brings back some good memories.

Action starts just before 2 minutes and ends about half a second later.... I was 4 years old, it didn't take much to blow my mind back then.

Also used to love The Invaders. I haven't seen that for decades either though so I'm not sure if that qualifies as crappy.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Farscape, those Jim Henson creature creations were great.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Firefly wasn't very fun.

I liked Farscape. It got really good when it delved further into Scorpius's psyche. John Crichton and Scorpius were like Lucas Hood and Kai Procter.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Space: Above and Beyond was a pretty cool show. I've been meaning to pick up the dvd set.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Ned & Stacy is all I can remember.

+1 for Time Trax. Darien Lambert 4 lyfe!

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Not as old... there was a show on HBO that was kinda neat, but I guess no one else liked it. I don't remember the name but it had Al Bundy and this doofy guy who was from outer space. I remember he talked like a tard and said he had to "dump out" when he had to take a shit.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member

xROTx

It was OK up until the whole heaven and hell thing...now it's just a pain to get through episodes.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Oh yeah, 'H Jon Benjamin Has A Van' is another good one.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
One of the few Fox pre-X-Files sci-fi shows I liked was called The Visitor. A guy gets abducted by aliens in the 1960's and he comes back in the present (then 1990's) to warn people that will go on to do important things that their being hunted. I really liked it but sadly it only lasted a season and a half. They had an abrupt ending that they tried to salvage what they could with what little time they had. I used to see the show on the Sci-Fi Channel from time to time but now that they changed formats it's pretty much gone. Can't even find much on YouTube with it.

Phades

New Challenger
+1 for Space Above and Beyond. That show was great. I also thought that Earth 2 was pretty decent back in the day.

The show I really like that it pissed me off when they canceled it was Push Nevada. Even the way they ended that show pissed me off......