CRT Fetish Thread

thefab

n00b
Hello

I'm new to the Forum. I live in France near Paris and i own 3 PVM (20L2, 14L2 and 1440QM)

My 20L2 with Soldier Blade on PC Engine;

viewer.php
[/URL][/IMG]

The 14L2 (on the left) and 1440QM (on the right)
viewer.php
[/URL][/IMG]

thefab

n00b
Hello

I'm new to the Forum. I live in France near Paris and i own 3 PVM (20L2, 14L2 and 1440QM)

My 20L2 with Soldier Blade on PC Engine;

The 14L2 (on the left) and 1440QM (on the right);

I also documented how to build a Scart to PVM adapter; http://thefab.no-ip.org/pvm/

Cheers, Fabien

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
All, would a PVM-20M4U be good for gaming in RGB?

GAMEFAN

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I check it out tomorrow and will post pics.

Broken - are you still selling cables for BNC to Scart?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I check it out tomorrow and will post pics.

Broken - are you still selling cables for BNC to Scart?

Not right now.

I'm going to start producing them again in about 6 weeks or so.

Recently picked up a Sony PVM 20L2. I received my cables in the mail and everything is hooked up via Scart. Playing PS1 and PS2 games in RBG is amazing and I'm loving the quality!

I have a question though: What are the optimal Color / Brightness / Contrast settings for a PVM? Currently I have everything set to default and while it looks good, it seems rather dark even though the color looks great.

Anyone have any tips or suggestions for R G B color settings and or brightness contrast level settings?

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Just picked it up today. It has a build date of 2000 so ot too bad I guess. The previous owner stated that it came out of a local studio with little hours usage.

Which set of audio out can I use to connect external speakers to? There are quite a lot of audio/out and audio/in connections.

GAMEFAN

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Just picked it up today. It has a build date of 2000 so ot too bad I guess. The previous owner stated that it came out of a local studio with little hours usage.

Which set of audio out can I use to connect external speakers to? There are quite a lot of audio/out and audio/in connections.

GAMEFAN

The audio outputs usually correspond with their respective inputs.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Founds it! External speakers are a must since this only has mono output.

GAMEFAN

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Here are pictures of the unit I picked up yesterday for a good price I feel.

imag0172a.jpg

imag0173jb.jpg

Next steps are now:
* Purchase Euro SCART BNC-RGB cables from Broken
* Purchase a Euro SCART selector box

GAMEFAN

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Question for PVM folks who own PCBs;

Those of you who hook PCBs straight to the RGB inputs, are you using resistors on the R/G/B lines? The schematics I see for JAMMA to SCART usually have roughly 220ohm resistors on the R, G, B, and Sync lines. I'm most curious about the sync line, anyone using resistance on that? Sync cleaner / lm1881? I want to grab a CPS2 and MVS at some point, and knowing in advance how people prefer to wire JAMMA RGB signlas to PVMs will save me some time and frustration.

Aubrey123

n00b
Here's my PVM-1442QM (and aparrently me too, in the reflection). I have no neo stuff yet, but Thunder Force II is what I'm playing most right now. Strange how hard it is to take representative pics of a CRT. Probably need to change some camera settings as all the pics I tried to take to demonstrate the picture quality looked funky. I think this model might be the same age as me, haha

zzHNIiy.jpg

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Finally got a scart cable to use with my BNC Breakout cable from Broken. Results with the saturn were more than satisfactory on my PVM.

rsg.jpg

Anyone else with a PVM20L2 mind posting their calibration settings? Been trying to calibrate mine for 5+ hours and I can't seem to get it to look right. I'm even using the 240p suite to help but no such luck.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Finally got a scart cable to use with my BNC Breakout cable from Broken. Results with the saturn were more than satisfactory on my PVM.

rsg.jpg

awesome skate, the sat looks gorgeous :drool:

congrats also to everyone who recently picked up a monitor as well:)

Beelay

New Challenger
Question for PVM folks who own PCBs;

Those of you who hook PCBs straight to the RGB inputs, are you using resistors on the R/G/B lines? The schematics I see for JAMMA to SCART usually have roughly 220ohm resistors on the R, G, B, and Sync lines. I'm most curious about the sync line, anyone using resistance on that? Sync cleaner / lm1881? I want to grab a CPS2 and MVS at some point, and knowing in advance how people prefer to wire JAMMA RGB signlas to PVMs will save me some time and frustration.

I just wired my MVS up recently without resistors on the lines and it looks great to me. I'm just using some snipped BNC cables.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Awesome, thanks. I used 220ohm resistors (one each on R, G, B, and sync) for my NAOMI via capcom IO to my PVM, and it looks great. If anything, it's still brighter than consoles via SCART -> BNC.

I talked to a guy a while back who claimed that his PVM didn't like the sync signal from a CPS2, and he had to run it through a lm1881. I'm wondering if it was his A board, because I'm not finding anyone else that's had to do that with JAMMA boards.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Sync stripper circuits are good in general to have in a SuperGun. Some boards output dirty sync signals and others output extremely high levels. A LM1881 circuit can help straighten that out.

As far as resistors go, its also a good idea to have potentiometers on the RGB lines to bring down the picture brightness. That way you adjust the level on a per board basis. Most supergun builders use 3 separate pots (one per color). However I prefer the usage of a triple gang pot. That way a single knob controls all 3 colors equally at the same time rather than trying to set all 3 to the exact same level.

On my PVM, with a MVS board, I have found somewhere around 150 ohms on each of the R, G and B lines brings it down to just about perfect levels.

Your milage may vary.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Nice, thanks man. I'll probably wire a lm1881 to a dpdt switch so I have that option.

I didn't want to use pots for the reason you stated, I don't want inconsistent levels. Do you have a good source for those triple-gang pots?