Crucify me: I think the Gamecube is Nintendo's most forgettable system

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
What the fuck is your problem?
Both the GC and the Wii U have been acknowledge as failures by Nintendo.
Yes the thread started out as "forgettable" and not "failure" but we now are talking about failure.
My problem is you, Portland, and your lack of reading ability. I'm arbitrarily blaming you for every person in this thread who lacks the reading comprehension needed to tell the difference between forgettable and bad. That's not fair? Suck a dick.

CrazyDean

Zero's Secretary
While the GC library isn't huge, it has a lot of good games. I'm surprised to see so much hate for the controller. I think it has a great feel and very comfy. There was also the wavebird which is pretty much the first wireless controller for a Nintendo console that wasn't shite.

On the other hand, the console itself is obsolete as the games and controllers can both be played properly on a Wii. So, as a gamer, there isn't much reason to keep one around.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
The GameCube had a handle. I didn't have any friends at the time, but I would disconnect it and walk around the house with it pretending I was going somewhere important.

I can never forget those wonderful memories.

Also it came in orange and purple, and it looked fabulous. Who wants an orange Xbox? Or a purple Ps2? No one!!!

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The GameCube had a handle. I didn't have any friends at the time, but I would disconnect it and walk around the house with it pretending I was going somewhere important.
Just like baby's first Fisher-Price record player. Exactly like.

Also it came in orange and purple, and it looked fabulous
Again, very Fisher-Price-y. Brightly candy-colored to appeal to Nintendo's core audience.

Who wants an orange Xbox? Or a purple Ps2? No one!!!
Because adults.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
That's not true - some babies have friends and important places to go.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
My problem is you, Portland, and your lack of reading ability. I'm arbitrarily blaming you for every person in this thread who lacks the reading comprehension needed to tell the difference between forgettable and bad. That's not fair? Suck a dick.

My reading ability is fine bro.
Not my fault you cant see the correlation between being forgetful and failing.
Get over yourself :cool:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
My reading ability is fine bro.
Not my fault you cant see the correlation between being forgetful and failing.
Get over yourself :cool:
And it's not my fault you are such a dim bulb you can't see it's often an INVERSE correlation. Often, the thing that is the worst is what people remember most. Are you mentally handicapped? If you are legitimately retarded, I will back off.

And you meant forgettable, not forgetful, chalk-brain. Forgetful is what your mom was with her birth control, when it really counted.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
I pity people who can only value things by benchmarking them against something else, instead of just appreciating them for what they are...

That constant need to compare. Ugh.

Must suck not being able to enjoy any games in the hope that someday some game will come along and make you as wet as Super Metroid made you when were 11 years old.

I'm neo_moe's #1 fan right now.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Heaven forbid we should rank things. A favorite album of a favorite artist. A favorite installment of a favorite movie series. Let's give participation trophies to everyone! All the Star Wars movies were equally great and equally enjoyable, right? Give me a break.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I'm neo_moe's #1 fan right now.

And I guess that makes me behind you in line. All the stupid shitty hate and arguing in here, that really sums up the best fuck you argument against it. Benchmarking one system against another... PS1 N64, PS2 GC, PS3 360...whatever is fucking childish as each maker tends to cater to specifics. YOu just need to look at what the systems have that are playable on it, not how much stupid good parts are on the inside. If all you do is get lost in the past and ignore other stuff because it doesn't meet some false benchmark, you're a lost cause. Even though it is fair to still rip on something just because it does feel bad, at least tear it down on its own lack of merit.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
It's so forgettable it took until page three for anyone to even mention it.
It was the 1st thing that came to mind. Was just afraid to mention it, cause you know, fanboys and all.

Btw: STK just gained hero status in my rankings.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member

I can never forget those wonderful memories.

Also it came in orange and purple, and it looked fabulous. Who wants an orange Xbox? Or a purple Ps2? No one!!!

Speaking of colors. I had no idea this fucking version of the system existed..

4Fm8kGg.jpg

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I thought that the button layout was kind of inspired.
I mean, in most games you are pushing the same damn button 95% of the time (fighting games excluded). Then you have a button or two you press a handfull of times. Then you have the buttons that you have to think about where the hell they are before you press them.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
^^One of the few times so far I've actually completely agreed with you. While at times I was kind of annoyed at the shape of the other buttons a bit, I also saw the utility in it because often enough in most games you use 1, maybe 2 buttons on the face tops for almost all the action and usually that 2nd lesser used one is a back out or sub-'do something' button with menus or action. The GC controller worked great other than the stupid lack of a second top button (a Left Z to the Right existing one) because it would have allowed for quite a few more ports people chose not to do otherwise. I was surprised how easily it didn't bother me kicking serious ass in Capcom vs SNK 2 coming off the original on Dreamcast and pissed me off almost no other fighters came to the system too which was a disrespect completely.

I recall when I was working at Midway they were going to release my last project Defender broken on the Gamecube. The game on PS2 and XB with the added button L button allows you to take your fighter and strafe in open space around the manti(enemy alien) creatures. The GC lacks this so you can't strafe and fire at the same time, it's stupidly one or another. Long story short after being told it was too late to fix, and me being angry about it, being the back-up team lead on the tech standards(Nintendo) and team test project for it I emailed the coders directly with a control scheme I baked up combining effectively the control setup from N64 of all things Starfox and Turok, a double down effect basically. They added it in quietly, but sadly as control option C and D on Gamecube (B and D are reverse controls for flight) and I won that little battle, never played the game on the broke ass settings Midway was trying to settle with after that. :)

This was supposed to be yet another in many third party ports where something was to be halfassed, broken, or left out just because a 2nd L button was missing. That not the huge A button was the huge flaw of Gamecube controller design as otherwise it's amazing and comfortable too.

...and in closing WOW, I had no idea there was a minty llght green GC in Japan for Tales of Symphonia let alone the fact it came with a matching colored GB Player too. I'm tempted to see how much some douche is charging for that on ebay because well it's Nintendo.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
...and in closing WOW, I had no idea there was a minty llght green GC in Japan for Tales of Symphonia let alone the fact it came with a matching colored GB Player too. I'm tempted to see how much some douche is charging for that on ebay because well it's Nintendo.

I'd always considered getting a JP cube and while I'd love to have this...

PanasonicQ.jpg

The price on this bitch is way to high for what it's worth imo.

I might cave & snag that Minty Green unit since I don't own a JP Cube.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I'd always considered getting a JP cube and while I'd love to have this...

PanasonicQ.jpg

The price on this bitch is way to high for what it's worth imo.

I might cave & snag that Minty Green unit since I don't own a JP Cube.
The Q really looks the part BonusKun, but like you say, it's not worth the admission price unless your a ninty nut/collector.
I'd love to own one, a very desirable little cube, small and perfectly formed.

CrazyDean

Zero's Secretary
If I were to buy a JP Cube, it'd be the spice (orange). It's pretty weird that the US got the orange controllers but no orange consoles.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
The controller button layout was another instance of Nintendo doing their own thing and not giving a fuck about any other publishers. Nintendo very easily could have bundled the GC controller like they did but should have also proceeded to have a more generic button layout controller as well. Good Nintendo of old would have had a game or two that would have been perfect for the GC controller which in the past would have been a bundled with said game, like StarFox64 with the rumble pak.

They made the same mistake with the Wii. The classic controller for Wii was tolerable but not great. They finally got their shit together with the Wii U and had the Pro controller ready, which quite frankly is the best controller released in years.

Nintendo has so many neat ideas that expand gaming in many ways. They miss step repeatedly when they treat these ideas like only having a hammer in a toolbox.