Crucify me: I think the Gamecube is Nintendo's most forgettable system

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Gamecube is a decent enough console, the controller is better than the N64's (no brainer there really though IMO) and i got a soft spot for pikmin and doshin the giant.
The type of games i usually dislike but not half bad in this instance, so props for that at least.
I've played about 20 games on it so can't give a real informed opinion on the machine, but what i played i liked to be honest.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Have you played Smash 64 and Wii U back to back? I have, they play nothing alike. Smash 64 may be slow, but the engine is precise and very satisfying to play. Wii U, although a massive improvement over Brawl, still has some shitty design inherited, like wacky invincibility frames, pausing added to attacks and even the jumping still feels too floaty.

I was stewing on this all day.

I have, and it's jarring to go back to the N64 version. I played the shit out of the N64 version back in the day, and I could roll with it again, but why would I?

One thing about Smash 64, and I remember this being a complaint back in 1999, was that it felt stiff. Sometimes your character wouldn't behave the way you'd want him to. Smash Wii U doesn't give me that feeling at all. Perhaps your outlook on it being precise comes from how stiff it is. You can get used to it, but I find it unsatisfying since playing Smash Wii U.

The jumping in Smash Wii U feels too floaty? You must have been a riot in the arcade playing the old Virtua Fighters.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I'm in the minority for sure, but the Gamecube is my favorite Nintendo system. I didn't have a NES or SNES growing up, so that probably plays a part in it.

Super Mario Strikers, Baten Kaitos, Paper Mario, RE1+RE4, Fire Emblem, Tales of Symphonia, Mario Golf, Mario Kart DD, Pikmin 1+2, and Animal Crossing are all excellent games that still hold up extremely well even today.

Like STK said, it is indeed entirely forgettable- like, shit, all of the games mentioned in the post there, those are damn fine games, and I couldn't think of a single one of them off the top of my head. It was a fine system, way better than the Wii or the WiiU, but yeah, totally forgettable.

I can't decide if "forgettable" vs "bad" is an interesting debate or not.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I do believe that the Gamecube was more powerful than the XBOX, PS2 or Dreamcast.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Everything worthy on GC got either ported to PS2 or Wii, except for:

Wind Waker (eventually came to Wii U)
MGS TS
Eternal Darkness

Sunshine is boring beyond the first hour you spent trying the water gadget. It lacks the location and gameplay variety Mario 64 had.

So yes, I agree with OP.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Everything worthy on GC got either ported to PS2 or Wii, except for:

Wind Waker (eventually came to Wii U)
MGS TS
Eternal Darkness

Mario Kart Double Dash
F-Zero GX
Star Wars Rogue Leader
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Forgot about Paper Mario 2.

And maybe ............. maaaaaaaaaybe .... Luigi's Mansion. But that's about it :envy:

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Well can't help the good games got ported or the 1st party ones made it to next generation systems. That means they were good enough to be played years later. Unlike most of the PSX,N64,Saturn era, but that's for another thread...

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Bah, not gonna bother with lists. I'll just say that I've got about 70 GC games that beg to differ with this "Gamecube is Nintendo's most forgettable console" opinion; all awesome, all still get rotation, nearly all only available on GC. I'm a fan of the controller, the system has a simple and to-the-point UI, the footprint is nice and compact, and of course (as most will agree) the GBA player is fantastic.

I don't give a shit about stats like sell-through and adoption rate, etc., I love the GC and always will. Anyone who isn't a fan of the console, that's fine; for anyone that regards the GC as something special in gaming to them as I do, that's all that matters.

Last edited:

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
SSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHPPPPPPPPPPPPP

He's right though. As a console there was nothing special about the Gamecube.

4 controller ports (N64 DC XBOX all have this, PS2 just needs a multitap)

Online (PS2 DC and Xbox all kick the dogshit out of it)

The only thing the cube has over its contemporaries is its library. Arguably one of the BEST all time libraries (especially if you include GBA)....although many of its best games are either no longer exclusive or never were.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
In all honesty I always believed the PS2, GC, OG Xbox was the 3d generation that was similar to the 2d NES generation. It's the 1st one that people can go back to and really appreciate the many good games this generation has to offer. This doesn't mean you can't find a PSX, N64, Saturn 3d game to play, but they all have not aged well. Much like the Atari did as well.

Looking at the GC was sandwiched between the juggernaut that was the PS2 and the powerful Xbox that was offering online console games. To me I can understand why GC gets lost in the shuffle, but it's a great system IMO.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Gamecube is not forgettable - you are just a bunch of old senile bitches.

There is not enough Metroid Prime appreciation in this thread. Fuck you all.

GameCube is awesomely unique in that it took beloved franchises and did unique things with them that did not rely gimmicks. And for the most part those risks paid off awesomely.

Luigi's Mansion was brilliant. Metroid Prime was flawless. Mario Kart added the tag team feature and it was cool. Wind Waker shocked everyone with those beautiful cell shaded graphics. These were just their flagship games - but there were so many unique fun experiences. DK Jungle Beat. Battalion Wars. Odama. Even the oft shat upon Starfox Adventures was rad.

Fucking Rogue Squadron. Viewtiful Joe.

Damn it! Good thing I never leave my house otherwise I'd bitch slap all of you.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
The only thing good about Metroid Prime is that it makes me appreciate Super Metroid that much more.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I pity people who can only value things by benchmarking them against something else, instead of just appreciating them for what they are...

That constant need to compare. Ugh.

Must suck not being able to enjoy any games in the hope that someday some game will come along and make you as wet as Super Metroid made you when were 11 years old.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
You may like the Wii U and there's nothing wrong with that, but it's Nintendo's most forgettable console. It's neither impressive nor dubious. It's just a console that failed.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Gamecube is not forgettable - you are just a bunch of old senile bitches.
People aren't saying it's completely forgettable. It's just MORE forgettable than any other Nintendo console. And I think that's fair, even as someone who likes the console.

Gamecube is Nintendo's Saturn: meaning, a solid console that should have done a billion times better than it did, except it was coming off the negative momentum of what came immediately before.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
The only thing good about Metroid Prime is that it makes me appreciate Super Metroid that much more.

What was so bad about Prime?

I pity people who can only value things by benchmarking them against something else, instead of just appreciating them for what they are...

That constant need to compare. Ugh.

Must suck not being able to enjoy any games in the hope that someday some game will come along and make you as wet as Super Metroid made you when were 11 years old.

Agreed. Can't we enjoy these old consoles without the need to compare? Don't we have enough, "X nintendo console sucks" threads? Even the SNES got a sucks thread.

You may like the Wii U and there's nothing wrong with that, but it's Nintendo's most forgettable console. It's neither impressive nor dubious. It's just a console that failed.

Agreed that the Wii U will go down as Nintendos biggest console failure so the GC can be saved that fate.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I remember when it was launched and my first thought was 'that controller is fucking bullshit'.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
What was so bad about Prime?

Agreed. Can't we enjoy these old consoles without the need to compare? Don't we have enough, "X nintendo console sucks" threads? Even the SNES got a sucks thread.

Agreed that the Wii U will go down as Nintendos biggest console failure so the GC can be saved that fate.
Do you not fucking understand the difference between failure and forgettable? Are you really that fucking stupid? Things can be more memorable BECAUSE they failed so spectacularly.

Atari E.T. is less forgettable than whatever the best game Atari ever had was. Get it now, you troglodyte homunculus?

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Do you not fucking understand the difference between failure and forgettable? Are you really that fucking stupid? Things can be more memorable BECAUSE they failed so spectacularly.

Atari E.T. is less forgettable than whatever the best game Atari ever had was. Get it now, you troglodyte homunculus?

What the fuck is your problem?
Both the GC and the Wii U have been acknowledge as failures by Nintendo.
Yes the thread started out as "forgettable" and not "failure" but we now are talking about failure.