Crucify me: I think the Gamecube is Nintendo's most forgettable system

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
But seriously, hear me out.

NES: Need I say more?
SNES: Lots of great classics and an incredible evolution of the NES.
N64: Nintendo's first foray into 3D consoles, the analog stick, lots of awesome, memorable games (the best wrestling games around)
Wii: Come for the motion controls, stay for the truly oddball stuff. I can't believe how much better The Last Story was than anything Final Fantasy.
Wii U: Console gaming nirvana this generation. Literally the most fun I've had with a console in years. An incredible, if somewhat small, library once you get past the gimmicks.

What did the Gamecube do? It had weird controllers, a lot of horsepower for its time, and while it certainly has a lot of great games, there aren't a lot that you can't find elsewhere. The Nintendo exclusives have largely been superseded by Wii and Wii U versions, too. With Smash Wii U out, why would you ever play Melee again? I don't even play N64 Smash anymore since I got the Wii U version, and I loved that game. Don't even get me started on Resident Evil 4. In addition to coming out on just about every other console, have you seen the proper HD mods for the PC version?

The only game that gets me hype for the Gamecube anymore is Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes. Yeah, yeah, crucify me for that, too.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
SSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHPPPPPPPPPPPPP

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Have you forgotten Eternal Darkness?

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
I never had one...played that ttyd game on my wii tho.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
With Smash Wii U out, why would you ever play Melee again?

Actually yes, yes I would. SSB Wii U still feels a bit too much like Brawl for my tastes, which as we all know was essentially Melee with all the fun sucked out.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Have you forgotten Eternal Darkness?

Hey, I didn't say the Gamecube was devoid of good games exclusive to the system, and everyone's going to have their favorites, but that's just one game you came up with.

Actually yes, yes I would. SSB Wii U still feels a bit too much like Brawl for my tastes, which as we all know was essentially Melee with all the fun sucked out.

Funny, because I think Smash Wii U feels like a slicker version of Smash 64. Better resolution, better framerate, comparable controls that work better. I've had loads of fun with it. The DLC kicks ass, too.

Last edited:

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
You're crazy the gcn controller was really comfortable and I think it has the best analog stick of any controller ever. Also melee is easily the best smash bros game and is still the most popular competitive smash game hands down. It had some amazing first party titles so I'm not sure why you say they are better on the Wii and Wii u that's bullshit have you played twilight princess with those shitty motion controls?
Double dash
Metroid prime
Twilight princess
Fire emblem
There are plenty of amazing titles

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Mario Sunshine is the best 3D mario game.

I feel like the parts where you were forced to go without the backpack were brilliant, and everything else was rather meh.

You're crazy the gcn controller was really comfortable and I think it has the best analog stick of any controller ever. Also melee is easily the best smash bros game and is still the most popular competitive smash game hands down. It had some amazing first party titles so I'm not sure why you say they are better on the Wii and Wii u that's bullshit have you played twilight princess with those shitty motion controls?
Double dash
Metroid prime
Twilight princess
Fire emblem
There are plenty of amazing titles

I see your Double Dash and raise you Mario Kart 8.
I didn't much like Metroid Prime, but it did get a Wii version.
Twilight Princess, another Wii version here, but I played the Gamecube version back in the day and found it to be a depressing attempt at retreading Zelda 64.
Fire Emblem? Not my cup of tea.

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
The Resident Evil 1 remake was a big letdown for me but Resident Evil 4 made it up.

Last edited:

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
The Wii, Wii U, and 64 are all weaker than the GC which has the most underrated library of any Nintendo system (though the GC vs 64 argument can go either way depending on your tastes). The GC has the first 2 Metroid Primes, the last great console Fire Emblem, the best Tales game, Rogue Squadron 2 and 3, and the list goes on.

The Wii had Muramasa, Monster Hunter Tri (which has a better revision on the Wii U), and the Operation Rainfall games, but too many games with mandatory painful control schemes that prevented them from becoming replayable classics. Then there's the Wii U with the Pro Controller which may be the best controller ever created, so Nintendo's mission is to prevent anyone from using it. How hard is it to program a map window into Xenoblade X or a texting menu into Tokyo Mirage? Worse yet, making the system setup dialogs run on the gamepad only is straight-up trollery.

Anyway, the GC is better than the Wii systems by default because the controllers weren't designed by sadists.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member

Download Project M. It's a free mod for Brawl, and you don't even have to hack your Wii to play it. It reinserts the characters from Melee that were removed from Brawl and takes all the best elements from Melee, Smash 64, and Brawl and rolls them into one game. It's fantastic.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
GameCube, more like GamePubic Hair amirite?

Nintendo 64 > Dog shit > GameCube

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Funny, because I think Smash Wii U feels like a slicker version of Smash 64. Better resolution, better framerate, comparable controls that work better. I've had loads of fun with it. The DLC kicks ass, too.

Have you played Smash 64 and Wii U back to back? I have, they play nothing alike. Smash 64 may be slow, but the engine is precise and very satisfying to play. Wii U, although a massive improvement over Brawl, still has some shitty design inherited, like wacky invincibility frames, pausing added to attacks and even the jumping still feels too floaty.

I could play Smash Wii U and 3DS, but I will always pick Melee and 64 first.

Download Project M. It's a free mod for Brawl, and you don't even have to hack your Wii to play it. It reinserts the characters from Melee that were removed from Brawl and takes all the best elements from Melee, Smash 64, and Brawl and rolls them into one game. It's fantastic.

I have played Project M, it's only marginally better than Brawl. There is so much wrong with Brawl, Project M only scratches the surface of Brawl's many problems. Allow me to list them:

• The graphics are really, really ugly and jaggy. Absolutely wretched art direction. It looks like a PS2 game.
• Subspace Emissary contained what was essentially official fan fiction, gross.
• The sound effects are so painfully lame and "safe". There's no power or satisfaction in performing any move in the game.
• Most of the music is poorly arranged and for some incredibly dumb reason, it's all sampled way too low.
• The physics engine, where do I start? It is so terribly broken beyond belief. I don't mean just the tripping, I mean everything from moving, jumping, attacking, hitstun, hitlag, invincibility frames, intentional pausing added to attacks and every little thing in between. It is so hard to get any attacks to actually connect, the invincibility frames are just all over the place. I swear there is input lag involved too, everything in Brawl feels so heavy and slow and delayed. Even knocking your opponent off the stage is slow. Unlike Melee where if you pound an enemy into the ground at high damage, he'll be gone instantly into the stratosphere, instead the knockback and hitstun speed is ALWAYS slow.
• There's too much shit to collect.
There's plenty of other stuff too, can't remember off the top of my head, been a while since I last played.

I am dead serious when I say Brawl is Nintendo's 7 year experiment to take Melee and precisely remove every last drop of fun from it and call it Brawl. They may as well have called it "Super Smash Bros. Melee Safe Version". Not even the Stage Builder can save it. Brawl's ONLY useful function is the Smash Stack exploit.

Last edited:

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
The Gaycube is the ideal console for Faggots, Fairies, Trannies and Sodomites period.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Which controller is constantly being re-released for the newer generations? I don't remember the N64 controller being re-released at all. I thought by the GC generation they improved vastly on the 3d perspective. I would revisit GC games usually over N64. Other then OOT, and maybe Sin and Punishment I barely want to touch anything on that system. It just did not age well.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
The Gaycube is the ideal console for Faggots, Fairies, Trannies and Sodomites period.

I take it you live in a mansion made out of the purple ones right?

Seriously though these troll threads are getting boring. No one is going to change anothers mind on whatever Nintendo system of the day to bitch about, and even if a valid example pops up someone will make shit up or choose something else despite the evidence to say otherwise so the arguing becomes instantly pointless.