Daily Check: What shooters are you guys playing ATM?

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Macross on the Aero. I've really been trying to not only 1all, but get all the successive RDF medals.

I get to about level 4-and my shit just shorts out. Stupid deaths, missed medals.

Not even sure if it's possible to beat it this way...but if so, the score would be epic!

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Been playing Armed Police Batrider on MAME almost non-stop since I discovered the game about a week and a half ago. Love the game, music and learning the quirks of the rank system. Trying to 1CC using Strawman (C), Shorty (B), and Gain (C). Can't get passed the 3rd stage boss yet, but improving.

Gain is awful in batrider. Consider Car-pet, Maria, Miyamoto, or some of the Garegga ships. I’ve been playing non-stop since I got the PCB back in august. Cleared advanced a couple times, but I’m going for the letter score 1CC now. Getting damn close.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Sick, I'm really trying haha. I feel like I've hit a brick wall but maybe I'm not getting the rank system as much as I think I am.

Chempop

There are small nuances that have taken YEARS for people to discover. It takes a long ass time to really “get” how it works, especially if this is the first YWG game you are really sinking your teeth into.

Here is a breakdown of how it works.

ALMOST everything you do increases rank. That literally means every single-individual bullet you fire, some shot types increase rank more than others, as well as the option types.

Dying reduces rank. That’s the only way to make the game easier on the fly. The trick is to keep rank from getting too high in the first place. And here is the dark dirty secret: Hold the START button when you boot up the game to play with a lower rank default. It isn’t considered cheating because nearly everyone does it.

Collecting small value medals (up to 1000), does not noticeably increase rank (but anything over 900 does).

Using a full bomb doesn’t increase rank, but using partial bombs does A LOT.

Collecting “special” power-ups, excess power-ups, full bombs, and 1Up/extend increases rank A LOT.

Increasing you firing rate (by tapping fast and then holding) gradually increases rank exponentially.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
I see, thanks for the tips! When playing for score how do you manage rank when you're going for medals? Do you just get used to max rank?

Chempop

Yeah you get used to the hell they unleash on you when you push rank, but on the flip side, there are SO MANY tricks to score well that you can die/suicide often and just keep getting extends at every 1.5 million.

PLUS, there is a 1UP in stage 5 (highway), and special extends with every 3 full bombs you let drop.

Another strategy is to limit how many power-ups & options you get. A good survival technique with Shorty for example is to only pick up 1 option. Even better, just tap shot periodically. When you really need stronger firepower, just do an aura-charge to unleash max-power.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
I brought my Netbook and an Xbone controller with me to the Caribbean and have been playing Crimson Clover World Ignition.

Anybody pipe this into their cab yet? The game is a ton of fun and would be good fuel for the Blast City.

Omerta

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Shmups and NG.com wouldn't be high on my priority list in the Caribbean...

Last edited:

Kaioh

Sakura's Bank Manager
Bought the eXceed collection and Crimzon Clover on Steam this past week. Crimzon Clover is so damn good! Any other games on Steam you guys would recommend?

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Any other games on Steam you guys would recommend?

Besides Crimzon Clover:

Alltynex games (KAMUI, ALLTYNEX Second, RefleX)
eXceed games (2nd and 3rd)
Astebreed
Danmaku Unlimited 2
Ether Vapor Remaster
Jamestown
Satazius
You probably have Ikaruga somewhere else already, but it's on Steam as well now.

Not on Steam, but everyone shoud hunt down: XOP Black and Ultra.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
A bit more Blazing Star today. I'm not very good at this game yet, but I'm going to keep at it.

I need some more shooters for my Neo. I only have Blazing Star, Ghost Pilots and Alpha Mission 2. Not enough to keep my shooter cravings at bay after selling my Saturn collection 6 months ago when I moved house :(

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Hold the START button when you boot up the game to play with a lower rank default. It isn’t considered cheating because nearly everyone does it.

Wish I knew this when we had it for SOTM. Not sure how I missed that... not like it would've affected my score much.

Chempop

I’m glad you know now Teddy, it’s something that may feel a little dirty, but I assure you it’s the norm outside of world record holders.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
was playing some parodius da for the super famicom this morning before work. it was tough at first but a fun shooter overall

potetoboy

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
been playing Act Fancer: Cybernetick Hyperweapon on the NAC, the game is hard as hell!

kyosuke75

Mr. Big's Thug
Was playing me some Gaiares on the genny. Awesome Renovation game...

I tried to put in Grind Stormer but didn't work. Apparently, the pcb the rom is on is a Tengen one that was faulty.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I played all the way through Blazing Star for the first time last night. I lost count of how many credits I used, but it was a lot. That game must have been damn stressful in the arcade, either that or I am just terrible at it.

Also, the boss at the end was pretty creepy. I got some strange looks from my partner when she heard a baby scream and looked up at the screen.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
been playing some paranoia on the duo r. very tough game especially with the slowdowns but not bad

also bomber raid on the master system. a pretty good shooter. if the game had rapid fire, it would have been much better

daijiro_074

Crazed MVS Addict
I love the ''old school shooters'' , sometimes i play them when i have time, this weekend i have been playing some Gradius and Star Force on Nes.

mookie3three

Mr. Big's Thug
Playing Espgaluda on PS2. Really love this game. Might be that it is easier than II, but I think I like this one better.