Daily Check: What shooters are you guys playing ATM?

CMS

Previously A04_msh.
I've been playing Dragon Blaze on my PS2. Great game! I like it even better than Strikers 1945. Wish they could have changed the music though.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
I popped in the 360 port of DOJ-blex, hadn’t played a cave game in a while but managed to get a 1ALL in the dreaded white label after a few practice runs.

The game is somewhat of a blurry mess via VGA on the blast’s trisync (not being one of the CAVE ports that got an HD makeover). Once I installed a crafty+mech SLG it looked a lot better. As for white versus black label, it’s mostly how hypers build and how the lives/extends work in the 2nd loop. A fair number of changes in rank and bullet patterns make black label significantly easier even in the first loop. As for 2nd loop, don’t even bother with white label.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Nice dude. Once I get a stable TATE setup I'm gonna be trying to get better at DoJ white label.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Black Label ain't cheatin'! Just cause, I get my ass kicked a little slower that way. :)

Going back to Viper Phase 1 (new version) for the weekend, because that game is friggin' fun as hell. It's such a shame that with all the home releases of Raiden games over the years, that one somehow got missed.

... and I totally forgot how to play, haha. Getting killed off by stage 3 now.

I also need to dig out the PCE to give Gunhed a run for SOTM. Won't be doing any eyeball milking, honest.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
I know man, I was actually joking because Pasky and I have chetted about if using “start rank” (versus default rank) in batrider is cheating.

Pasky

Ya, I just said to me it's cheating, but would never downplay anyone else using it is all. Totally got what you were saying though haha. Unfortunately I only have white label. I can convert easily but I kind of like playing the harder version of games more, there's more sense of accomplishment when getting through them, at least for me.

eathis

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I stop Fast Striker for some weeks and when I go back to it yesterday in OMAKE mode I go easily to level 3 without losing a life and then I lose all my lifes in few seconds.
But I still love that game and the OMAKE mode :buttrock:

Galder

Crossed Swords Squire
Last Resort for the AES, really like the deep philosophy behind the 'ball' add-on of the spaceship. It is a ship with balls after all.

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Playing Truxton II for the first time. Really enjoying some of the power ups, and the music and pacing is great. I might have to adjust the dips to knock the difficulty down a bit though, if I ever want to try to 1cc it.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
I know man, I was actually joking because Pasky and I have chetted about if using “start rank” (versus default rank) in batrider is cheating.
I was joking as well, sorry that wasn't clear enough. For whatever reason I have a way harder time with DOJ than I probably should, lol.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
I'm slowly working my way through Pulstar on the NeoCD. I've never liked the shooters that set you back when you die as much as the ones that re spawn you in place, but it does force you to be a better player.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Also spent some time trying out Geometry Wars 3 for PS4. So far, not digging it as much as GW 1 & 2. The new 3D levels sometimes make enemies harder to recognize compared to the traditional 2D playing fields. Also, I miss the glowing neon over black look of the first two games as well.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I've been playing Zed Blade recently and I was surprised by how fast paced and fun it is. From the videos I watch before buying it I kind of thought it looked quite old fashioned and slow, but when playing it the speed really surprised me. It's a lot better than I expected and I can see me enjoying this one for a long time.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I've been playing Zed Blade recently and I was surprised by how fast paced and fun it is. From the videos I watch before buying it I kind of thought it looked quite old fashioned and slow, but when playing it the speed really surprised me. It's a lot better than I expected and I can see me enjoying this one for a long time.

NMK 4 lyfe!

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Back to Dodonpachi II Bee Storm. Really enjoy this game, but was never able to get deeper into other Dodonpachi games. Any others I should try if Bee Storm feels good to me?

Pasky

Odd how you like Bee Storm and not the others. Bee Storm is a pretty odd duck in the DDP world. I thought it was pretty medicore.

You should give Armed Police: Butt err bat rider a try. The character variety and all the hidden bosses, secrets, and other shit make it pretty fun.

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Maybe I just didn't give the other Dodonpachi titles a fair chance. Is there a "go to" that I should dig back into?

Then again, I do tend to have odd tastes once in a while.

I do want to find a Batrider PCB too.

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
If you like the bullet scratching mechanics, then the Castle Shikigami series is probably better suited than any other titles in the dodonpachi series.

Joe T.

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
I've got Macross and Macross II in my Egret II's right now. I've also got Ibara back in one of my other cabinets. I took a long time off from playing it but would still call it my favorite Cave game.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I've got Macross and Macross II in my Egret II's right now. I've also got Ibara back in one of my other cabinets. I took a long time off from playing it but would still call it my favorite Cave game.

Macross II? The horizontal one? Lmk if you ever want to sell or trade it. ^_^

Joe T.

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
That's the one. However, I just got it on Thursday, so I'll probably keep it a while. I'm banned from trading here anyway, haha.

daijiro_074

Crazed MVS Addict
I have been playing some R-Type on Master System, i love this game, i had it many years ago and last week i bought it again

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
I have been playing some R-Type on Master System, i love this game, i had it many years ago and last week i bought it again

From what I can recall, the Master System port of R-Type was extremely good. I had it a loooong time ago and I play the crap out of it. I remember using the cheat to get additional credits (I think) at the continue screen. Too bad there wasn't a great selection of shooters for the SMS.