Dragon age origins: The thread

2Heed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member
Just scored a brand-new collector's edition PS3 version for the same amount as the SRP of the standard. I know the PC version's supposed to be the best, but there's nothing like playing these big, epic games on a (slightly-less-than) big, (not-so-epic) television screen.

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
There are some pretty big bugs.

1. Some of the missions down seem to finish even though I finished them.
2. Ive had the map screw up on me. Just a big triangle rotating view with nothing behind it.
3. Enemies get stuck behind walls. All kinds of small stuff.

Im currently about 20 hours in now. Ill probably be completing it soon.

My party is killer though, hopefully I can import into Dragon age 2...

Oh and justice isnt my favorite character. Hes cool at first, but kinda levels off.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
It's a huge expansion- it's somewhere along the lines of DA 1.5, here, I've seen at least one review that offered it up as that. About 2 gigs. We're talking Shivering Isles, something like that, bigger. I think you're going to have to keep fishing if you're going to get another fan of the game to agree with you on that!

I am willing to complain about the bugs, though- loaded up my save yesterday, was just trying to finish the Vigil up, and my character's weapon had mysteriously disappeared from her inventory. Seriously. Just gone. That's a pretty bad glitch.

Yeah, I know. But Shivering Isles was $30, not $40. Bioware is a bunch of rip off artists, pure and simple.

It wouldn't be so bad if only that DLC was overpriced... But all of it for DA is! And if everyone buys it anyway, well, that's what the new prices on everything will be eventually. I really wish people wouldn't support random price hikes. Otherwise they wouldn't work and companies wouldn't pull that shit in the first place.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Yeah, I know. But Shivering Isles was $30, not $40. Bioware is a bunch of rip off artists, pure and simple.

It wouldn't be so bad if only that DLC was overpriced... But all of it for DA is! And if everyone buys it anyway, well, that's what the new prices on everything will be eventually. I really wish people wouldn't support random price hikes. Otherwise they wouldn't work and companies wouldn't pull that shit in the first place.

I think that's a pretty ignorant blanket statement. I'm by no way a BioWare fanboy, I didn't enjoy most of their games but loved the Mass Effect series. I think you should wait to pass judgement on the value of the game until uou play it. BioWare seems to put a lot of care and time into their games.

Plus I think Shivering Isles was $29 too much. The Oblivion series is overhyped IMO.

HeartlessNinny

I think that's a pretty ignorant blanket statement. I'm by no way a BioWare fanboy, I didn't enjoy most of their games but loved the Mass Effect series. I think you should wait to pass judgement on the value of the game until uou play it. BioWare seems to put a lot of care and time into their games.

Plus I think Shivering Isles was $29 too much. The Oblivion series is overhyped IMO.

Blanket statement? What the hell are you talking about?

I said the DLC for Dragon Age is woefully overpriced.

It is.

The end.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Blanket statement? What the hell are you talking about?

I said the DLC for Dragon Age is woefully overpriced.

It is.

The end.

Have you played the DLC for DA yet?

No you say? Oh, well why didn't you say so. Your perspective on the situation seems sounds. Forgive my doubt.

HeartlessNinny

Oh, yeah, sure. I'll pay through the nose for a bunch of DLC only to find it was more expensive than it should have been...

What a bullshit argument. Hey Jedah, did you know that castration feels great?

What, you don't agree? Well did you try it? No? Then fuck off.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Oh, yeah, sure. I'll pay through the nose for a bunch of DLC only to find it was more expensive than it should have been...

What a bullshit argument. Hey Jedah, did you know that castration feels great?

What, you don't agree? Well did you try it? No? Then fuck off.

Ever thought of checking out a new concept called "rental". It's from the Latin word "Rena" meaning to borrow, and the Latin word "Tali" meaning in exchange for monetary goods.

It's a fascinating idea. You rent the game for a set period of time, for a nominal fee, and return it on the agreed upon date. This allows you to play a game without paying full retail price.

I think it'll really catch on.

BTW: Don't worry about making a bunch of excuses, I'll write them up and send them via PM. It'll save you the trouble.

HeartlessNinny

And just how the fuck am I supposed to rent DLC? What the hell kind of dream world are you living on?!?

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Do you play off the DA: Awakening Disc or does it install data to your HDD like the Shivering Isles does?

Whoever said "Oblivion Series" is a tard. It's Elder Scrolls.

PS: Shivering Isles owned.

PPS: I got the Shivering Isles by renting the Oblivion GotY edition and then just installing it to my HDD. Then my friend did the same on his 360, and we returned the game that day.

Last edited:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Do you play off the DA: Awakening Disc or does it install data to your HDD like the Shivering Isles does?

Whoever said "Oblivion Series" is a tard. It's Elder Scrolls.

PS: Shivering Isles owned.

PPS: I got the Shivering Isles by renting the Oblivion GotY edition and then just installing it to my HDD. Then my friend did the same on his 360, and we returned the game that day.

You can do either one- I had traded in my old copy of DA, so I picked up the retail disc and play if off there. I still have all my old saves on my HDD, though, so my character and my old plot stuff is still there, though- it was pretty sweet in Awakening when Alistair showed up all stately as King and actually acted like a bad-ass monarch instead of a whimpering little pussy like in the original. Kind of like he had learned how to command some respect for a change. Of course, given that there are multiple ways for the "who rules the kingdom issue" to play out in the first one, it would be pretty interesting to see how those scenes play out if he's not in charge, I would think.

Oh, yeah, back on topic, though- you can just DL the content if you want, then you have to have your old original disc in the tray to play and it treats it like The Stone Prisoner or something like that, basically. It's huge, though, I think 1.8 gigs, so even if you have the original, buying the disc will save you a nice chunk of HDD space.

Yeah, I remember when you figured that out on Shivering Isles- I actually looked for a copy of GotY edition at my local BB Video, was going to try the same thing, but of course, shitty ghetto BB that it is (they carry jack and shit for games), they had no Oblivion of any kind, GotY or otherwise. So I just ended up buying a used copy of GotY for $22.50 since I didn't have any Oblivion at all at that point.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
You can do either one- I had traded in my old copy of DA, so I picked up the retail disc and play if off there. I still have all my old saves on my HDD, though, so my character and my old plot stuff is still there, though- it was pretty sweet in Awakening when Alistair showed up all stately as King and actually acted like a bad-ass monarch instead of a whimpering little pussy like in the original. Kind of like he had learned how to command some respect for a change. Of course, given that there are multiple ways for the "who rules the kingdom issue" to play out in the first one, it would be pretty interesting to see how those scenes play out if he's not in charge, I would think.

Oh, yeah, back on topic, though- you can just DL the content if you want, then you have to have your old original disc in the tray to play and it treats it like The Stone Prisoner or something like that, basically. It's huge, though, I think 1.8 gigs, so even if you have the original, buying the disc will save you a nice chunk of HDD space.

Yeah, I remember when you figured that out on Shivering Isles- I actually looked for a copy of GotY edition at my local BB Video, was going to try the same thing, but of course, shitty ghetto BB that it is (they carry jack and shit for games), they had no Oblivion of any kind, GotY or otherwise. So I just ended up buying a used copy of GotY for $22.50 since I didn't have any Oblivion at all at that point.

I'll just buy the disc then, as it is $40 and should have some resale value down the road if I trade DA and Awakening.

$40 is a little much to pay for Digital Content.

In my game Alistair is dead :P Though he was crowned as the King.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I'll just buy the disc then, as it is $40 and should have some resale value down the road if I trade DA and Awakening.

$40 is a little much to pay for Digital Content.

In my game Alistair is dead :P Though he was crowned as the King.

Did you make him sacrifice himself, then?

Or did you make him hump Morrigan?

Or both?

I have to admit that I think it's a bit silly that you (can) sacrifice yourself at the end of Origins only to have Bioware be like, um, no, nevermind, we didn't like that ending, we were just kidding, that fast.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Did you make him sacrifice himself, then?

Or did you make him hump Morrigan?

Or both?

I have to admit that I think it's a bit silly that you (can) sacrifice yourself at the end of Origins only to have Bioware be like, um, no, nevermind, we didn't like that ending, we were just kidding, that fast.

I didn't have him bone Morrigan.

I had him sacrifice himself. Kind of a cool ending, his first and last duty as king was to save the Kingdom. But yeah, I let him do it because he was the more senior Grey Warden, and uh that's how they said it worked in the game when kill an archdemon (or whatever the dragon was called.)

So does awakening take place before your character potentially kills himself?

HeartlessNinny

Because they also released it as a stand alone game available for purchase or rental.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=76824
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=76825

But you already knew that right? I tell ya, this just keeps getting better.

I was talking about all of the DLC. But to be fair, yes, I suppose I could just rent Awakenings.

None the less, my opinion is the same: it's overpriced. Even if I rent it and love it to death (which is unlikely — I enjoyed DA, but not as much as everyone else, it seems), the point remains the same: it costs too much damn money.

You always have an awful hard time understanding why anyone would possibly disagree with you, man. That's not such a great personality quirk.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
I was talking about all of the DLC. But to be fair, yes, I suppose I could just rent Awakenings.

None the less, my opinion is the same: it's overpriced. Even if I rent it and love it to death (which is unlikely — I enjoyed DA, but not as much as everyone else, it seems), the point remains the same: it costs too much damn money.

You always have an awful hard time understanding why anyone would possibly disagree with you, man. That's not such a great personality quirk.

I have no problem with people disagreeing with me. That's life man. I have issue with people having opinions based on nothing but conjecture and ignorance. I haven't even gotten the chance to play the first game much less the expansion, but I won't say it's too much until I play it.

Be informed, and play it. If at that point you feel it's too much, gravy man. You do yourself a disservice by not doing that.

wizkid007

20 Year Member
I just beat the game.... twice. Two different paths.

I got to say that some of the little things that you do in the game play into the dialogue at the end.

I like how they played out the ending, and there are some cool twists to the story line as well.

I cant wait for DA 2

!!!!!!!!!!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upgrade your walls if you want the good ending. Otherwise, well, I didnt want to find out as I did upgrade them.

The brood mother is pretty easy once you figure out how to beat her, have 2 mages in your party and a rogue with maxed out lock picking if you want some help from a special someone.

The Architect plays a key role and will affect the next game depending on what you do.

HeartlessNinny

I have no problem with people disagreeing with me. That's life man. I have issue with people having opinions based on nothing but conjecture and ignorance. I haven't even gotten the chance to play the first game much less the expansion, but I won't say it's too much until I play it.

Be informed, and play it. If at that point you feel it's too much, gravy man. You do yourself a disservice by not doing that.

This is precisely what I'm talking about. I'm intimately familiar with the details on this game. You're just annoyed because I've posited a premise you don't agree with.

The DLC is dramatically over priced. This is my premise. I make that statement based on the fact that similar items of DLC offered by other companies was a better value for the money (specifically, cheaper). I provided two examples. You poo-pooed one because you didn't like it... And offered nothing further, except a few mild insults.

I admit I shoot my mouth off from time to time. This isn't one of those times.

wizkid007

20 Year Member
This is precisely what I'm talking about. I'm intimately familiar with the details on this game. You're just annoyed because I've posited a premise you don't agree with.

The DLC is dramatically over priced. This is my premise. I make that statement based on the fact that similar items of DLC offered by other companies was a better value for the money (specifically, cheaper). I provided two examples. You poo-pooed one because you didn't like it... And offered nothing further, except a few mild insults.

Some of the DLC is overpriced, a bit, but the rest I really enjoyed. Shales awesome, and some of the other extra places were cool but they were a little short. But then again, I bought all of it. And it really added to the overall experience. Hell sometimes I drop 10 dollars at the pacific mall arcade when I go, and that is two pieces of DLC, in the end, 10 bucks isnt even money anymore.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,

You never cease to amaze me. Here's the bottom line, you haven't played the expansion so kindly STFU until you have.

Or, you could continue to spout off ignorant gibberish and hope something sticks.

BTW: God of War III is overpriced. Granted, I haven't played the game, but playing the two previous games gives me a wealth of knowledge so vast, I can ascertain the worth of any and all future installments without so much as playing them for myself. K thnx bye.

HeartlessNinny

You never cease to amaze me. Here's the bottom line, you haven't played the expansion so kindly STFU until you have.

Or, you could continue to spout off ignorant gibberish and hope something sticks.

BTW: God of War III is overpriced. Granted, I haven't played the game, but playing the two previous games gives me a wealth of knowledge so vast, I can ascertain the worth of any and all future installments without so much as playing them for myself. K thnx bye.

So you try everything in the world before you form an opinion on it. Really. What a load of shit. I direct you back to the joys of castration. What, you still have a dick? Then fucking take your opinion and shove it up your ass.

HeartlessNinny

Some of the DLC is overpriced, a bit, but the rest I really enjoyed. Shales awesome, and some of the other extra places were cool but they were a little short. But then again, I bought all of it. And it really added to the overall experience. Hell sometimes I drop 10 dollars at the pacific mall arcade when I go, and that is two pieces of DLC, in the end, 10 bucks isnt even money anymore.

Well, Shale is a bit of a gray area, since he comes with the game if you buy it new, but if I got a used one without knowing that, $15 would be a preposterous amount to pay for him. That's 25% of the full price of the game, for fuck's sake. I honestly don't see how anyone doesn't see that as overpriced as fuck.

As for the other stuff, I'm glad you liked it, but I talked to a few people whose opinion I respect about it, and it doesn't sound worth it at all, to me at least. I read a few reviews, too, and it just seems to come up short.

I hear that Awakenings is pretty solid though. Like I said before, I'll wait 'til I can score the disc for $20 or so and I'll buy it.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I didn't have him bone Morrigan.

I had him sacrifice himself. Kind of a cool ending, his first and last duty as king was to save the Kingdom. But yeah, I let him do it because he was the more senior Grey Warden, and uh that's how they said it worked in the game when kill an archdemon (or whatever the dragon was called.)

So does awakening take place before your character potentially kills himself?

No, it's pretty silly, it takes place afterward. If you decide to import a character that you sacrificed, there's pretty much no explanation other than you're just miraculously resurrected and that's it.

You're sent in (regardless of importing or not) to help clean up the remaining Darkspawn in this one area, which are fighting each other as well as the humans there. When you get there, you find out that the Darkspawn are launching surprisingly well-coordinated attacks and that some of them have developed the ability to talk. So you have to figure out if they're being directed by something new, or what the heck is behind everything.

You also are the new Warden Commander, since you start out as the only Warden, and you get to be the Arl of the new area, since it's the Warden's base, which is kind of fun. Like, when shit goes down, you get to be judge, jury, and executioner, pretty much. That was the deal when Alistair showed up in my game, that was the scene, him making it clear that my character was the be Arlesse, and he was also about to take away an Archmage (whatever those mages are that use blood magic and get hunted by Templars), and I had the choice to let him do it, or use the right of conscription and make the guy a Grey Warden.

And then you get to watch other dudes get joined and all. It's pretty clever how you get to be on the senior side of things this time around, pretty fun seeing things from the other side.

And you do get one party member back, who's very eager to become a Grey Warden, and you get to decide if does or not.

Really, the story's quite well-done, for being an extension of the first one it's better than I was expecting, even. Makes my expectations for the proper sequel quite high.