EARTHBOUND Label

Lukejaywalker23

Playa' From, Around The Way.,
I was looking at my earthbound label and I noticed that it doesn't have the same gloss as all my other carts. The quality is nice but just not as glossy. Did Nintendo/Square us different labels on later titles?

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Definitely sounds like a repro. Open it up and see if it has mask ROM chips.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Your label is a repro then, probably to replace a damaged original.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
It's a "Made in Mexico" cart, which are usually not as glossy as the Made in Japan ones. I don't know though. Pics would help.

Lukejaywalker23

is mega man x3 and final fight 3 also a Mexican cart? those labels always look messed up.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
They've been snailtrailed many times over by the general public prior to reaching your pristine, grail tier, collection.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Who cares? Just play the game. This is collectard shit dude.

This.

Luke, It could also be that the original label was probably in shit shape so he bought or made a repro. So It just lost half it's value lol.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
is mega man x3 and final fight 3 also a Mexican cart? those labels always look messed up.

Yes.

Your label doesn't say where it's made so I'm certain it's fake.

It should say "made in some dudes bedroom"!

EDIT: It appears that Earthbound is one of few (only?) carts that doesn't indicate where it was made. Weird. Maybe it is legit. Just open it up.

As far as I understand all carts from 1995 and up were made in Mexico.
I don't see why Earthbound would be an exception, but pfft maybe it is!

Last edited:

Lukejaywalker23

Yes.

Your label doesn't say where it's made so I'm certain it's fake.

It should say "made in some dudes bedroom"!

EDIT: It appears that Earthbound is one of few (only?) carts that doesn't indicate where it was made. Weird. Maybe it is legit. Just open it up.

As far as I understand all carts from 1995 and up were made in Mexico.
I don't see why Earthbound would be an exception, but pfft maybe it is!

Yeah the PCB is legit and so is the back sticker but I just wonder about front label. Its like it doesn't have any protective coating on it but its high quality. Wondering if Nintendo cut cost on the last few SNES games to be released and made shit labels. Its identical to the N64 labels in quality.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Yeah the PCB is legit and so is the back sticker but I just wonder about front label. Its like it doesn't have any protective coating on it but its high quality. Wondering if Nintendo cut cost on the last few SNES games to be released and made shit labels. Its identical to the N64 labels in quality.

Do you have any other "Made in Mexico" carts to compare it too? They all lack the glossy finish "Made in Japan" carts have.

Haha

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
Nintendo’s 1st party labels stopped getting plastic-coated in 1995. First title I bought at launch like that was Killer Instinct and I was preordering all major Nintendo/Rare releases back then. They are decidedly less glossy and get damaged easily, especially across the top edge.

My current copy DEFINITELY doesn’t have a repro label:
https://imgur.com/a/3MRig (Full resolution gallery link)
n5uZV0xl.jpg

SNQDantl.jpg

That small box isn’t a repro either: It’s an original production display box made with Nintendo's mid-‘90s non-digital publishing techniques. They zeroed out half the UPC to keep retailers from accidentally selling you the empty display box.

My original box/game were stolen from me in the late ‘90s but this crappy label is definitely legit. One way to identify a fake Earthbound is when the label is TOO glossy. Yours looks legit to me... and really nice.

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
That’s exactly what happened for the North American market. Japanese labels continued to be plastic-coated. N64, Game Boy, GBC, GBA all had crappy labels until 2003 or whenever Fire Emblem launched. That was the first North American GBA title I recall that returned to plastic-coated labels like Japan. Meanwhile, my imported Japanese GBA from before the US launch came with a nice plastic-coated “F-Zero for Game Boy Advance” (AKA “Maximum Velocity” here). I recall discovering several GBA bootlegs in 2003 by their glossy labels when they were supposed to be matte. Checking inside confirmed every single time until after Fire Emblem launched.

They got cheaper during the SNES life in other ways. They stopped including dust covers before Donkey Kong Country launched. They stopped printing L & R on the controllers. They stopped printing a few things on the console and started molding it instead (“Eject” lettering, for example). That may have also factored into them getting rid of the cartridge lock but there was clearly something else going on since they only did it in the USA and redesigned the cartridges to defeat the lock (Spring 1993).

Last edited:

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Who cares? Just play the game. This is collectard shit dude.

So you are okay with repro labels on real carts? I’m not ocd about condition but I’m really not a fan of repro labels.

And yes Mega Man X3 and Final Fight 3 are both made in Mexico labels

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
So you are okay with repro labels on real carts? I’m not ocd about condition but I’m really not a fan of repro labels.

And yes Mega Man X3 and Final Fight 3 are both made in Mexico labels

Yea I don't give a crap about a piece of paper on a piece of plastic. I'm not looking at the label when I'm playing the game. Like I've said before, "The art is in the cart".