Fake AES+22 games eBay listing: warning

Not sure if this is the right place to put this or not so mods please move if necessary.

Heads up about this fishy auction for an AES with 22 games:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262658370180

Lots of warning flags: super short auction length, no reserve, disparity between item location and seller location (UK/ Germany), wrong category for listing, seller has lots of other high value items for sale on short listings with no reserve etc

I ran a reverse google image search on the auction's pics and it turned up this identical US auction from 2011. Has the same item description etc.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330602350528

If you're tempted - don't. Clearly a jacked eBay account.

Last edited:

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Interesting. I wonder if its a fake auction to just take the money and run.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Item already taken down - can only ebay do that?

One way or another someone's on to him.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
I bought a version of this in 2011. Same listing, in my case it was a buy-now. It is a complete scam, of course, but the trick of it is they first hack a legit ebay account - could easily be yours.

Once they hack it, they change over the paypal account that receives payments. Because you are a top seller in good standing - your payments clear instantly.

They put up this listing, usually as a buy now, and you the buyer checkout. After 4-5 days you get no messages, you get no tracking info, you start to think it's a scam...you contact the seller and they tell you, "I haven't received any money and I haven't sold that item - I don't know what's going on."

In my case it took a few weeks, but thankfully ebay and paypal worked with me and the account holder and we were able to recover the money from the 3rd party paypal account.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I bought a version of this in 2011. Same listing, in my case it was a buy-now. It is a complete scam, of course, but the trick of it is they first hack a legit ebay account - could easily be yours.

Once they hack it, they change over the paypal account that receives payments. Because you are a top seller in good standing - your payments clear instantly.

They put up this listing, usually as a buy now, and you the buyer checkout. After 4-5 days you get no messages, you get no tracking info, you start to think it's a scam...you contact the seller and they tell you, "I haven't received any money and I haven't sold that item - I don't know what's going on."

In my case it took a few weeks, but thankfully ebay and paypal worked with me and the account holder and we were able to recover the money from the 3rd party paypal account.

DAMN, stuff like this makes me about snap. If people would just put this much energy into being better human beings. :oh_no: