Fave Mortal Kombat Game?

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Uh, Trilogy.

Taking Kintaro for an 8-ninja endurance match after stomping the everliving shit out of Motaro & Shao Khan was fucking retardedly awesome.

Chamelion, the see-through-color-changing-pallette-swap ninja was pretty cool too.

And I had a lot of fun using Rain and MK2 kung lao too.

"Macho Man" Butta Supremo

Yuri's Aerobics Instructor
PUNJABEE said:
I guess it looked like I was talking about MK3 but I meant MK2, sorry. As for the whole 3.1 thing, that wasn't MK3 3.1, it was MK 1 3.1.

I was referring to MK2.

I'm almost positive the final version was 3.1

PUNJABEE

Banned
buttasuperb said:
I was referring to MK2.

I'm almost positive the final version was 3.1

Ahh I gotcha. I have them on MAME but not here. I like the whole 'version 9.2' challenger thing. Those are even cheaper than the regular game!

luggal

Kuroko's Training Dummy
MK2 by far.

After SF2, this was the next game I lined up many a quarter on. Well, I got sick of losing my quarters, so I bought the dedicated cab back in '95 to sit next to the big red. It's still fun to play now and again.

I don't remember which version, but following a Babality, having Kitana chuck a fan at the sprog was pretty funny.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
luggal said:
I don't remember which version, but following a Babality, having Kitana chuck a fan at the sprog was pretty funny.

Didn't you read the second post in this thread? :oh_no:

To expound a little on my original post, I will say that the original MK1 was a lot of fun in the arcades. I remember my arcade got one of the earliest revisions, and it was pretty bullshit... CPU was a lot harder, and you couldn't even knock down Goro with jump kicks or uppercuts. It took me forever to find a cheeze pattern to beat him and I could only do it with Scorpion (or Kano if I was lucky). They must have upgraded the chips like 3 or 4 times before the whole Reptile thing. I remember the weekend that arcade lowered the price from 2 tokens to 1 token to continue, and EVERYBODY was playing the two machines they had... there was so much competition that weekend, and I racked up some 56 and 45 win streaks. That was fun. And you have to admit that back then the Fatalities had a lot of "wow" factor. There were some fun Fatality glitches there too, like the Johnny Cage double head uppercut, making the heart that Kano rips out float in the air, freezing them before doing Sub-Zero's Fatality, etc.

MK3 got so much hype and ended up being pretty retarded. The dial-a-combos could be sorta fun though. The problem is that EVERYONE around here played the same characters... Kabal, Sub-Zero, Cyrax, and then Smoke when the code was released. The best part of one of the early revisions of MK3 was the glitch where when you beat the game, if you started pressing the Start button rapidly right when the credits started, you got a free game, and could keep doing that over and over as long as you didn't lose. :chump: The Fatalities in MK3 were a fucking joke. Anything that blew the character up sent an embarassing amount of body parts flying around the screen... wow, I didn't know they had 5 silver arms! And anything that chopped off the top half of the body left the arms floating in the air. Oops. Sub-Zero's polar bear hump Animality was hilarious though.

Ultimate MK3 was fucking retarded and nobody played it around here. Especially since it had the worst CPU AI of all time... you memorize patterns or you die.

MK4 got a bit of hype too but nobody seemed to care about that either. Midway was so sure of themselves that they send the cabinets early to arcades WITHOUT the PCB included, just to build up hype for when the game was out. It didn't work. I mean it's bad enough when they're constantly having to send out new chip upgrades to arcades every month or two because they didn't have all the special moves/endings/character balance in place, now they were rushing out the cabinets before they even finished a playable version.
icon25.gif
I think the only thing I'll remember about MK4 is the Fatality where the guy rips off the opponent's leg and beats him to death with it. Now THAT'S funny.

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
like many others have said, MK II > the rest

it was weird how the AI would behave differently depending on which side you were playing on...using the Player 2 side made it easier to exploit the CPU's programming, making it walk backwards into the corner for easy setups and all, while using the Player 1 meant the CPU was way more aggressive for some reason. making it much harder to set up certain things...

PUNJABEE

Banned
BBH said:
MK4 got a bit of hype too but nobody seemed to care about that either. Midway was so sure of themselves that they send the cabinets early to arcades WITHOUT the PCB included, just to build up hype for when the game was out. It didn't work. I mean it's bad enough when they're constantly having to send out new chip upgrades to arcades every month or two because they didn't have all the special moves/endings/character balance in place, now they were rushing out the cabinets before they even finished a playable version.
icon25.gif
I think the only thing I'll remember about MK4 is the Fatality where the guy rips off the opponent's leg and beats him to death with it. Now THAT'S funny.

I remember this shit. One of the arcades where I lived got an empty cab for like 3 days and the other got an unfinished 'prototype' pcb. It had like 4 characters selectable, and no endings.

It was retarded.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
PUNJABEE said:
I remember this shit. One of the arcades where I lived got an empty cab for like 3 days and the other got an unfinished 'prototype' pcb. It had like 4 characters selectable, and no endings.

It was retarded.

haha whoa dude, I actually lived in Austin too around the time the game came out

Le Fun had that empty cabinet for at least a couple weeks IIRC. When the game was finally released, Einstein's got FOUR cabinets. They sure were assuming it was going to be huge (especially when a tiny arcade like that devotes that much space to it). Needless to say all 4 cabinets did not stay there for long. :kekeke:

I don't remember seeing the "prototype" board though.

PUNJABEE

Banned
BBH said:
haha whoa dude, I actually lived in Austin too around the time the game came out

Le Fun had that empty cabinet for at least a couple weeks IIRC. When the game was finally released, Einstein's got FOUR cabinets. They sure were assuming it was going to be huge (especially when a tiny arcade like that devotes that much space to it). Needless to say all 4 cabinets did not stay there for long. :kekeke:

I don't remember seeing the "prototype" board though.

Nah, I lived back in the Valley back then, not ATX. The arcades down there were "Tilt" and "Funworld".

"Macho Man" Butta Supremo

Yuri's Aerobics Instructor
BBH said:
The best part of one of the early revisions of MK3 was the glitch where when you beat the game, if you started pressing the Start button rapidly right when the credits started, you got a free game, and could keep doing that over and over as long as you didn't lose. :chump:

haha, yea that was awesome.

SuperGunGuru

Galford's Armourer
BBH said:
icon25.gif

Heh that's funny that they'd send out an empty cab like that. MKII is also my fav. Best game in the series for me and the best looking cabinet. I love my dedicated MK2. :drool:

cMortal_Kombat_II.jpg

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
MKII

but I played a lot of the UMK for the N64, probably because it was the best port of MK at the time and it was good cheap fun (a lot of button memorizing)

back in those days though, I was more into playing the SFA series (I didn't know what I was missing with the Neo Geo)

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Grizzly King said:
I never was a fan of the MK series but of them all I liked the first one the best. To me though, the movements of the characters were too damn stiff looking and didn't feel fluid.

GK

MKII is the best, because it didn't have the stiffness that the others had (or at least not as much). It is the best playing one in the series. MK3+ was a big step backwards.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
PUNJABEE said:
Nah, I lived back in the Valley back then, not ATX. The arcades down there were "Tilt" and "Funworld".

hahaha that's so ironic, since I'm in the valley now :( I'm guessing Fun World was the one that got the prototype PCB?

Tilt is still alive but Fun World died... sorta. Some of the games got moved to a place in Sun Valley Mall, and Jerry's still the manager... but it's never been the same as those glorious Fun World days.

Shawn Carr2o

6200|!!|Drillslug Driver
I like playing MK1, MK2, MK3, UMK3 & MK Trilogy. MK Trilogy for the N64 was just like the arcade and they had all the characters like,

Liu Kang
Sonja Blade
Sub-Zero
Sub-Zero (Sub-Zero's older brother)
Kung Lao
Scorpion
Reptile
Jax
Smoke
Noob-Saibot
Cyrax
Sector
Kitana
Melina
Kano
Raiden
Ermac
Rain
Shiva
Shang Sung
Jade
Striker
Jonny Cage
Sindle
Baraka

MK Trilogy for the PS1 let you play the as 4 bosses, but the N64 version was way better though except you only had I think 5 continues. :( :D