Firearm enthusiast thread

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
You know HK just released a semi auto mp5 pistol, right?

Yes I did see that about a year ago. I would rather have the iconic folding stock with the long barrel however. Plus I think the guns from the 80’s are probably better made materials wise but that’s just my suspicion.

Can you get an arm brace for the new model do you know?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
You know HK just released a semi auto mp5 pistol, right?

How much though? I'd love to have one but good grief, are they super expensive.

I've had my eye on one of those Scorpion Evo's for a super long time now. That ultra short barrel model is just freaking awesome...such want. Probably never get, but such want.

If I have a "next gun" it might be something super silly. So silly that I'm not even sure I want to even post about it here or not. I may land up changing my mind in time, we'll see.

With that said, I'm more than pleased with what I currently have. I'm still trying to master that 44 magnum super redhawk. That thing is seriously challenging to shoot. In the past year, I've got to the point where I can very accurately shoot it from 25yds, I'm working on 50yds now. I have taken ti to 100 yds and I'll say that a 7.5" revolver at 100 yds with some hammer loads is one of the most difficult things I've ever shot.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yes I did see that about a year ago. I would rather have the iconic folding stock with the long barrel however. Plus I think the guns from the 80’s are probably better made materials wise but that’s just my suspicion.

Can you get an arm brace for the new model do you know?

You can put a brace on it.

@smokehouse - it looks to be under $3K for the real deal, so if you need that authentic German engineering.

I’d probably drink the Kool Aid, lol.

I don’t need a new firearm but if I do run in to some spare cash and have the need for a new gun I’ll most likely get a lever gun in .357 magnum.

Probably a copy of an 1873 Winchester.

Last edited:

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I've had my eye on one of those Scorpion Evo's for a super long time now. That ultra short barrel model is just freaking awesome...such want. Probably never get, but such want.
I like those too, but I figured if I was to get one for a range toy at least get one with a longer barrel than my handgun for some slightly better performance.

Also looked at Sig MPX which is awesome but like $800 more, and it's nearly as heavy as my 300 BLK which is superior in every way besides ammo costs. Stribog STILL (even on 3rd gen) has feeding and mag issues. B&T's 2x offerings started at $1300 more with similar telescoping stock (wasn't going to spend like 3K+ on a range toy), so I landed on the Scorpion after a TON of research (and after seeing this one with the different front end I actually liked). There's tons other options, AR + AK based too even, but I was going for smaller and light weight which is the only real benefit of these over a rifle caliber SBR (which I already have a couple of).

@smokehouse - it looks to be under $3K for the real deal, so if you need that authentic German engineering.
I don't know if anybody but dealers actually got them for under 3K - seems to be unobtanium for a very long time. List is like $3300 or something, most say they are selling them at $2995 (ALL out of stock), cheapest on GunBroker every time I checked was something stupid like $4300 (actually, just checked – that one had to have sold last night - now one up for $4000 'buy now').

I also don't know if it's in my head, or something I would get used to, but I've shot several of these, from SD to A5?, the MP5K w/ triangle stock I think from that Turkish? company that bought their molds, and I don't know... I just didn't enjoy shooting them beyond the cool factor. I think it's the roller delay like a split second after the shot that throws me off... which I'm sure is probably like a hundredth of a second of something stupid like that which I probably couldn't actually even notice, but there's something I couldn't pinpoint that I didn't like, or at least wasn't used to in the couple mags I shot on each.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I like those too, but I figured if I was to get one for a range toy at least get one with a longer barrel than my handgun for some slightly better performance.

Also looked at Sig MPX which is awesome but like $800 more, and it's nearly as heavy as my 300 BLK which is superior in every way besides ammo costs. Stribog STILL (even on 3rd gen) has feeding and mag issues. B&T's 2x offerings started at $1300 more with similar telescoping stock (wasn't going to spend like 3K+ on a range toy), so I landed on the Scorpion after a TON of research (and after seeing this one with the different front end I actually liked). There's tons other options, AR + AK based too even, but I was going for smaller and light weight which is the only real benefit of these over a rifle caliber SBR (which I already have a couple of).

I'm getting to the point where a firearm has to have an intended "purpose" for me to consider buying it. I know too many people with a ton of firearms they never shoot and after being a basement dweller game/toy "collectorz" for a decade+, I swore to myself I'd never collect anything again. Because of that, no purpose, no buy.

I'm not sure what I'd do with a Scorpion...or a MP5 for that matter. Something tells me I'd take it to the range, rat-tat-tat with the thing a few times...then store it right next to the AR pistol I already never freaking shoot. With that said, AR pistols in 223 are retarded and I'd gladly shed mine if I could get out of it what I have in it. Big mistake there.

At this point, I'm either shooting steel with my S&W 627, having a "44-day" with the Henry and Super Redhawk, or taking my bench AR out to 100 yds for accuracy shooting. Other than that? I don't shoot the other firearms I have all that much.

All I'd like to have at this point (that I don't own) is a 1-200yd big bore revolver.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Makes sense.

Honestly full auto is probably where the MP5 shines, and actually makes sense.

I want an actual VZ61 Skorpion. They’re fascinating and I think pretty damn cool (check out the forgotten weapons video on it.)

But without full auto it’s just an oversized 32ACP pistol. I mean even with a stock it’s pointless if you don’t have that full auto. But man that thing in full auto is great. You have a real slick little package. 20 rounds of 32ACP in some BGs trying to jack your truck or whatever.

Or realistically a helluva lot of fun at a sub gun match.

So it’s sorta pointless to get one unless I want to mod it and go to federal prison.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Makes sense.

Honestly full auto is probably where the MP5 shines, and actually makes sense.

I want an actual VZ61 Skorpion. They’re fascinating and I think pretty damn cool (check out the forgotten weapons video on it.)

But without full auto it’s just an oversized 32ACP pistol. I mean even with a stock it’s pointless if you don’t have that full auto. But man that thing in full auto is great. You have a real slick little package. 20 rounds of 32ACP in some BGs trying to jack your truck or whatever.

Or realistically a helluva lot of fun at a sub gun match.

So it’s sorta pointless to get one unless I want to mod it and go to federal prison.

There's many firearms that to me, are pretty much rendered useless in "legal" form. Take the FN P90, for example. In original form, short barrel, and with US banned ammo, that firearm is one of the most deadly and efficient firearms I've ever seen. It's ability to place a ton of small but high velocity projectiles in one spot and in a big hurry is quite amazing. Sure, there are more overall effective rounds out there vs the 5.7...but in that small of a controllable package and with a 50 round magazine? It's hard to top that.

Remove full auto, pop a stupidly long barrel on it, and load it with neutered US allowed ammo and the thing is a joke. I've always felt the same about sub machine guns like a MP5, an UZI, any of the MAC subs, the original CZ Scorpion, and others. Take away their ability to have a high cyclic rate and they're kinda pointless.

I'd love to have a P90, or a real MP5, or a real UZI, MP7, or others like them...but in "legal to own" form? Pass.

Last edited:

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
What guns are you guys lusting after at the moment? I still can’t shake wanting a high end 1911 or colt python. It’s funny cause I’ve owned both before ( had an Ed brown full size Kobra naked slide pictured)

I need to learn not to sell rarer guns I always end up regretting it.

B72A12D9-3433-4E8E-88DF-FAE55F598D3F.jpeg

Last edited:

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
I know it sounds dumb... but a 10/22 with a binary trigger sounds like a ton of fun.

Dumb because the trigger costs as much as the rifle.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
I know it sounds dumb... but a 10/22 with a binary trigger sounds like a ton of fun.

Dumb because the trigger costs as much as the rifle.

Not dumb at all, I’ve known people who drop a thousand bucks building their ideal 10/22. Such a cool gun to upgrade! Plus at least it will be cheap to shoot once you have it the way you want it.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
About the only firearm that's still on my list is a 10" BFR in 460. More than likely, I'll get one in the next year or so. I want to try my hand at long range pistol shooting.

Here's a great shot my wife got last night, some of my 44 magnum hand-load spicy bois
P1hIDhnh.jpg

Last edited:

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
About the only firearm that's still on my list is a 10" BFR in 460. More than likely, I'll get one in the next year or so. I want to try my hand at long range pistol shooting.

Here's a great shot my wife got last night, some of my 44 magnum hand-load spicy bois
P1hIDhnh.jpg

Man that looks awesome!

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member

P1hIDhnh.jpg

Nothing more American then shooting a 44 on 4th of July! How long have you been hand loading? I’ve considered buying a press.

Is it kinda fun to do or a pain in the ass?

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Nothing more American then shooting a 44 on 4th of July! How long have you been hand loading? I’ve considered buying a press.

Is it kinda fun to do or a pain in the ass?

Hmmm...how to put this? How about this:

-It's a completely separate hobby, expect to put the same time/effort you would into a new hobby
-During times with reasonable prices, the savings on common ammo is small (9mm, 223, etc). Where you'll save tons of $$ is with less common rounds. For example, my 44 loads are WAY cheaper than factory.
-The ability to customize ammo is great. If you're willing to put in the time and effort to do it, you can dial in some great loads.

Personally, I like the work, I like the hobby. It is a lot of time (on occasion), but it's not time I mind donating.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
A couple pages back Smokehouse had a good series of replies to me regarding reloading.

You could always start with a book like the ABCs if reloading and then go from there. I learned a lot by reading the book about cartridges.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Yes I’ve watched a few videos that iraqveteran8888 put out on reloading in the past. The only real rare round I shoot is 8mm Mauser but I shoot it often and it’s pretty expensive. I’ll grab that book and check it out... Thanks guys

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Yes I’ve watched a few videos that iraqveteran8888 put out on reloading in the past. The only real rare round I shoot is 8mm Mauser but I shoot it often and it’s pretty expensive. I’ll grab that book and check it out... Thanks guys

I'm not sure how much you shoo that, but a single stage press would work for that round, it's what I use for the match 223 ammo I load. I'm not really a fan of loading precise ammo on a progressive. I know I can, I just feel "safer" doing it one at a time.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
So I just bought an 80% Glock clone frame.

Now I know why the anti-gun crowd is in a tizzy. These are uhm...really stupid easy to finish. An 80% AR lower is a trip to the moon and back by comparison. An AK is cold fusion in comparison.

Time to make a space gat. Pew Pew.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
So I just bought an 80% Glock clone frame.

Now I know why the anti-gun crowd is in a tizzy. These are uhm...really stupid easy to finish. An 80% AR lower is a trip to the moon and back by comparison. An AK is cold fusion in comparison.

Time to make a space gat. Pew Pew.

While I'm not a fan of the ATF...or many firearm laws on the books, the whole "80%" thing seems like its really poking the skunk, just like the "arm brace" stuff.

With that said, a co-worker did the same thing. About the only problem he had was one of the slide rails on the lower was slightly crooked and was causing some cycling issues. He thought it was all kinds of things but eventually figured it out and simply filed it down a bit as it was crooked and rubbing the slide.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The arm brace thing I wouldn’t touch with a ten foot pole. The consensus (at least it was) that in CA a brace was a stock and you’d go to prison for violating state law.

Milling an AR receiver is legit. Only these Glock Frames seem a bit dubious to me. But hey, worst comes to worst, you can always make a Luty SMG with parts from Home Depot :emb:

And it’s probably actually cheaper to buy a legit glock than do one of these Polymer 80s.

I’ll let you guys know how it goes but I’ll probably approach the project slowly. Bit of a panic buy, lol.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Any of you guys have a red dot on a pistol?

I need to get some some more ammunition in case Trump
Wins the election.

I’ll need to get some ammunition also incase Biden wins.

I really want the Supreme Court to take up a new firearm case. It’s been a decade since a meaningful decision and there are still questions in the wake of the Heller and McDonald decisions.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

Wins the election.

I really want the Supreme Court to take up a new firearm case. It’s been a decade since a meaningful decision and there are still questions in the wake of the Heller and McDonald decisions.

On a semi auto, no. I do have an 8 moa Burris Fast Fire III on my full size revolver, it's great.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member

Wins the election.

yf29dq.jpg

Sup?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Holosun red dot? I’m surprised how far the red dot market has come in the past ten years. Anything to be aware of when getting iron sights? Will standard height sights work - I won’t need suppressor height because CA is lame and I cant go suppressed.

I guess my build will be G17 grip length with G19 slide/barrel. Probably have the slide RMR cut.

Any thoughts as to internals? I’ll probably go Glock OEM initially.