First cart you ever owned

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Homecart was SS2 but I haven't had an AES in a decade plus.

MVS was KoF '98.

NGPC was probably KoF R2 but I can't remember. I remember getting a few games at the US launch. Had almost a complete set of US games by the end (including some of teh rarez) and sold it for peanuts back when they weren't worth anything. That shit helped keep me in rent and food when I was between jobs though so tough to complain.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
My first taste of Neo Geo outside of emulation and a few Genesis ports was King of Fighters R-2 that I purchased with my NGPC around launch in 1999.

The first MVS carts I bought were KOF 99 and Strikers 1945 Plus which came with my MVS cabinet in 2011. Still love Strikers Plus despite the mixed to bad reviews I see for it online.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Magician Lord is not a cheap MVS cart. You'd have better luck looking for a cheap AES version.
I caught myself one day thinking about buying the AES cart to transplant roms into a MVS board for one second. lol. Crazy how those less loved MVS games are priced now.

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
As an aside. If that guy from 10 years ago wants to sell me another Neo Drift Out for 15-20 bucks, I’d be happy to honor his previous offer haha.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I caught myself one day thinking about buying the AES cart to transplant roms into a MVS board for one second. lol. Crazy how those less loved MVS games are priced now.
Seeing how early Neo Geo cartridges have double sided boards (solder on top and bottom) and smaller than normal through-holes, I can tell you they are a pain in the ass to desolder.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
When i had a aes fatal fury 2 and when i changed over to mvs,wind jammers.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
FFS, KOF95, and SS2 - got these all in January 98 when I got my first home system. They were the three games I most coveted on the Neo at the time not having played many others (we didn't have many MVS around Cincinnati in the mid to late 90's).

A month later The Last Blade was my first brand new cart and it blew me away coming from the other three games I had. I had just heard about it, didn't know a damn thing about it, but took a chance and ordered it from....Game Dude I think? It was from one of those importers that used to advertise all the time in the back of Diehard Gamefan.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
AES: NAM-1975 (US), Fatal Fury (US), and some others.

Last edited:

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member
My 1st ever Neo Geo home cart was a used Samurai Shodown in I guess about 1993, 1st new game was KOF 94 which I preordered after a recommendation from my local games importer.

I had not even heard of MVS games until early 2000’s when I found this forum, then I bought loads as they were cheap as chips to buy.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
My 1st ever Neo Geo home cart was a used Samurai Shodown in I guess about 1993, 1st new game was KOF 94 which I preordered after a recommendation from my local games importer.

I had not even heard of MVS games until early 2000’s when I found this forum, then I bought loads as they were cheap as chips to buy.
To specify, you meant owning arcade Neo games right?
Yeah I remember that was like opening up a whole new world.
I bet lots of us here, me included, were really awestruck by the idea of owning PCBs or being able to play them on your TV via consolization.
Shit, thinking about that...was probably the last time video games had some magic for me.

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member
After joining this forum I found out about arcade versions of the home carts, so went to my local arcade and asked if he had any and he gave me a boxful of carts and a machine for about £100.

Previous to that all my Neo Geo playing was on an imported home system.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Seeing how early Neo Geo cartridges have double sided boards (solder on top and bottom) and smaller than normal through-holes, I can tell you they are a pain in the ass to desolder.
You need a Hakko desoldering gun. When I was troubleshooting a cart recently I could remove a chip in less than a minute.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
KoF R1 and the original NGP. I got it with my birthday money sometime in 1999. Saw a local ad from an import store. God I loved that thing ! Took it with we everywhere. The only Neo Geo item in my financial reach. What was crazy was that I ordered it and had to pay it to the mailman. Crazy system that wouldn’t work these days.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
Metal Slug 4 NGH US was the first cart I bought. I believe it was around $250 back in 2010.

Kid Fenris

Rugal's Thug
10 Year Member
The King of Fighters '96 - I got a nice deal on it a month or two before I actually had an AES. It's a rougher game than the more popular KoFs, but it was cheap, the character lineup is a lot of fun, and unlike most KoF games from '97 onward, there's no enhanced version available somewhere else.

On the NGPC, I got Match of the Millennium with the system and didn't need another game for a long, long time.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
AES: Samurai Shodown :love:

MVS: Metal Slug 2 & Aero Fighters 2, same seller

Neo Geo CD set including those: Samurai Shodown 2 & 3, Fatal Fury 3, Art of Fighting 3

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Fatal Fury Dog Tag... what pos that insert was... think it was from Ravengames in Kent.

First NGCD game - Super Sidekicks 3 / King of the Monsters 2, from CEX in Rathbone Place, London.

NGLad

n00b
First cart was SamSho2 with a janky AES. I was just learning how to solder too, so I thought "hey, I'll try to install Unibios while I'm at it!". Took me 3-4 hours to do, gimped through the whole process. Thought I pulled traces. Pretty surprised it worked.