FS: Naomi Dreamcast controller adapters

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A LOT of people asked for these after seeing my prototypes so here is the production result:

jheuq1.jpg

There are two options:

Do It Yourself Kit: $15 plus shipping ($21 shipped in USA)
---This includes just the pcb and the two connectors. You get the DC controller ports yourself from an old broken Dreamcast and solder it together.

Fully assembled adapter: $50 (free shipping in USA)
---These will be on a first come, first served basis since broken Dreamcasts don't magically fall out of my ass. You can get on the waiting list and I will sell them in order as I acquire dead Dreamcasts and harvest the ports. I will keep a waiting list posted in the thread.

I had them made in white and red because it is similar to the Naomi logo color scheme. These allow you to use Dreamcast controllers or the Dreamcast controller to play games that support the use of DC controllers. This is virtually a MUST if you want to play Typing of the Dead or Lupin 3: The Typing. You just plug the keyboards in and they work by default. The other games require the controller to be turned on in the game test mode.

This thread discusses some of the games that work with the DC controls and the extent of how they are used:

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26535

It's probably worth noting that if you buy two DIY kits you can probably turn your own profit by selling an assembled pcb since each Dreamcast harvests two DC controller ports.

Fully assembled PCB Waiting List:

Caldwert (Neo)---shipped
sparksterz (Neo)---shipped
Loegan43 (KLOV)---shipped
Dotty (AO)---shipped
Adderall (Neo)---shipped
Dache (AO)---shipped
Rob Black (Neo)---shipped
Richmal (AO)---pass for now
fyxim (AO)---shipped
crunchywasp (AO)
necron99 (Neo)

Last edited:

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Rating - 100%
40   0   1
if someone buys two of the diy versions for me. ill provide the DC controller ports for their two. ill even solder the boards for them

KalessinDB

Mr. Big's Thug
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
How intact do the controller ports have to be on the DC, Mitsu? I got a deck that appears to have dead ports, dunno where the problem is. Figure they could be harvested for something like this...

Dion

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How intact do the controller ports have to be on the DC, Mitsu? I got a deck that appears to have dead ports, dunno where the problem is. Figure they could be harvested for something like this...

If your DC has dead controller ports it is because there is fuse on the controller port pcb that blows. The ports themselves are very simple. I can almost 100% guarantee you that the ports themselves have no problems unless they are physically run over by a car or dropped from a plane. It can be tricky to desolder them but if you take your time its no problem. Just make sure the 5 holes for the actual port pins are completely clear and free. The pins are really flimsy and can be easily broken if you pull up on it before removing all of the solder.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Can you use a PS360+ or Cthulu PCB with this? What about the light gun & racing wheels?

I actually have a broken Dreamcast but i have no skills w/ soldering, would this be an easy mod for beginners? If so, please put me down for the 2 DYI.

Dion

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use a PS360+ or Cthulu PCB with this? What about the light gun & racing wheels?

I actually have a broken Dreamcast but i have no skills w/ soldering, would this be an easy mod for beginners? If so, please put me down for the 2 DYI.

I don't know what a PS360+ or Cthulu is but almost sure it will not work. The games themselves have to have been programmed to take advantage of the DC controllers. Pretty sure no light guns or wheels work with this. Only VMU units (most used feature), keyboards (TOTD and Lupin 3: typing), and DC controls (for a few games)

undamned

Pleasure Goal
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Can you use a PS360+ or Cthulu PCB with this?
MC Cthulhu has Dreamcast support, so it should work on whichever games utilize DC controls. Not sure if PS360+ has DC firmware. Just remember if you want VMU access, you'd need to pair up 1 real DC controller as well.
-ud

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Is there a game list of Naomi games that works w/ dreamcast controls?

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
stop making stuff I wanna buy!! this is awesome mits!! I always wanted to try the lupin typing game.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Rating - 100%
40   0   1
buy 2 pcbs have them sent to me ill ship one fully populated to you in the usa.

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
i'll take you up on that werejag, so i order 2 sets & have them shipped to you & you send me one?

Dion

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a game list of Naomi games that works w/ dreamcast controls?

The link in my first post has a list of games that work with it. It is not a complete list but I hope that as more people start playing around with the DC controllers we can put together a comprehensive list. You will find most of the games support VMU use to exchange data between the home and the arcade. Which is actually really cool if you are a console junkie also. Just make sure you have a Japanese bios also. Most of the games require a Japanese bios to use this. TOTD and Lupin the Typing can use any region bios.

stop making stuff I wanna buy!! this is awesome mits!! I always wanted to try the lupin typing game.

I've already sold more of these than anything else I've personally produced on my own. I'm more proud of my S-JIHP because of the time and thought I put into it. I've really enjoyed learning the versatility of the Dreamcast/Naomi platform. The DC was really ahead of it's time and it's sad that it never really took off like it deserved to.

i'll take you up on that werejag, so i order 2 sets & have them shipped to you & you send me one?

He wants two DIY kits bought and sent to him and he will send you one fully-assembled unit in exchange. It's a good deal.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Rating - 100%
40   0   1
yes HDRchampion ill assemble your diy adapter and ship it out. ill provide the dc ports and all the labor and free shipping to you

my cost is the other diy board for myself

on a side note i want atleast 2 of these boards total for myself so someone else wants this deal i have 4-5 dead dreamcasts right here ready to be salvaged

Dion

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of making a video of how to salvage these ports. It is not the easiest thing to do but if you do it right it comes out perfect. The trick is to free up the 5 holes for the pins of each of the actual ports. Make sure they are free and clear before you try to yank it out. Otherwise you will ruin the port.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Rating - 100%
40   0   1
i had no issues with the two ports off the first dc. solder wicked em and a slight bump it just fell out all pins intacted on both

Dion

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had no issues with the two ports off the first dc. solder wicked em and a slight bump it just fell out all pins intacted on both

I never have success with wick for through-hole solder removal. Especially with pins connected to the ground plane. :( I only find it useful for surface mount cleanup.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Rating - 100%
40   0   1
well my pace rework station is having a issue at the moment. i need a few parts to fix it. so i had no choice. i was pleasantly surprised when it worked flawlessly

undamned

Pleasure Goal
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I'll likely be hand wiring up something similar for a consolized CF NAOMI I hope to work on later this year. Probably only make a few for some guys I know who want to run CVS2 at their events, but first thing I need to sort out is some sort of shell/module that will bolt onto the connector side of the NAOMI. It can house most of the extra guts & connectors without really mucking up the NAOMI itself. Still torn about whether to add the USB decoders, as that will require an additional I/O converter (yucky). Probably just stick with the DC controller interface.
-ud

Dion

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll likely be hand wiring up something similar for a consolized CF NAOMI I hope to work on later this year. Probably only make a few for some guys I know who want to run CVS2 at their events, but first thing I need to sort out is some sort of shell/module that will bolt onto the connector side of the NAOMI. It can house most of the extra guts & connectors without really mucking up the NAOMI itself. Still torn about whether to add the USB decoders, as that will require an additional I/O converter (yucky). Probably just stick with the DC controller interface.
-ud

Sounds interesting.

undamned

Pleasure Goal
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
i was under the impression a i/o is required
Negative. NAOMI has a MAPLE bus built in (same interface as DC controllers/VMUs), but utilizing the MAPLE bus is up to the game program. That's why people are asking for a compatibility list for games because not all games support the MAPLE bus.

The only way you could use DC controllers for more games would be if you had a separate DC decoder board (which doesn't exist) connected to a NAOMI I/O board.
-ud

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Rating - 100%
40   0   1
so you telling me games will work without a i/o board? i dont think you understood what i asked before. i know alot about the maple bus im not asking about that. you mentioned you wasnt going to use a i/o to run CVS2. so how do you get around this requirement of having a i/o.

maybe i didnt understand you all im asking is to understand your envision

Last edited: