FS: Naomi Dreamcast controller adapters

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Know of any other games for the Naomi that require a Sega I/O?

I haven't tried all. I think one of the racing games I tried needed a higher revision. If I'm not mistaken either Airline pilots or Sega Strike Fighter also. Need to confirm.

The Capcom I/O has it's advantages but to take full advantage of the systems you need to use the JVS I/Os. It's a good reason to pick up one of my S-JIHPs to set up controls. The you can just use the Capcom I/O for video and audio and just keep the JVS I/O connected at all times.

Last edited:

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Yes, it's reeeally hard to just go down the list of games available to netboot and just try them all. It gets rather boring quickly with all the Naomi's three screen boot system (sending data, checking data, loading game). And if you have a Piforce-based netboot system, then just figuring out what the games are is really crucial to enjoying it as you need to know what the games ARE in the first place. I haven't found a list of the Naomi games sorted by genre, so I just printed out a list of the games from my "piforcetools.py" and then went on System16 and looked at the screen shots and tried to sort them as best I could into Fighting, Puzzle, Horizontal Shmup, Vertical Shmup, Light Gun, Typing, Driving, and the other random games that need special controllers.

So here are the things I know:

The majority of the Fighting, Puzzle, Shmup, and Sports games all tend to work on a Capcom I/O.

Typing games all work if you have a Sega I/O and a keyboard plugged into the maple bus.
These are: La Keyboard xyu, Lupin The Typing, and The Typing of the Dead.

There are 4 light gun games. They load on a Sega I/O.
These are: Confidential Mission, Death Crimson OX, Lupin The Shooting, and Maze of the King.
[The House of the Dead 2 isn't netbootable as it ran on its own custom Naomi.]

There are two Driving games that will load with a Sega I/O and work on 15kHz without issue, they are Crazy Taxi and Jambo! Safari.

Games that have issues of some kind:

- Melty Blood Actress Again needs a 512MB netdimm to load.
- Senko no Ronde New Ver needs a 512MB netdimm to load.
- Puyo Puyo Da needs a special controller (you might be able to make one??).
- Puyo Puyo Fever needs a Sega I/O because the Joystick mapping is rotated sideways on a Capcom I/O.
- Samba de Amigo - has to have the macracas and macraca i/o board to be playable.
- Monkey Ball - needs the banana analog controller.
- Airline Pilots - V3 I/O and controller(?)
- Sega Strike Fighter - V3 I/O and controller(?)
- 18 Wheeler needs a 31kHz monitor or else it loads as a double image.
- Wave Runner GP needs a 31kHz monitor or else it loads as a double image.
- Club Kart European Session needs a 31kHz monitor.
- Initial D games all need a 31kHz monitor.
- King of Route 66 - might need a V3 I/O (gives "Bad Comm" error with V1 I/O).
- Dynamite Baseball Naomi requires that analog flicking bat controller panel for it to be playable.
- Dynamite Baseball '99 requires that analog flicking bat controller panel for it to be playable.
- Sega Marine Fishing needs a reel controller.
- Virtua Golf - I haven't tried this, but it used a custom control panel.
- Usagui Yamashiro Mahjong Hen - haven't tried, but most mahjong games need a control panel.

Unknowns:
- Alien Front will load on either I/O, but something is wrong as the tank doesn't move forward, it just spins around.

Last edited: