FS: Naomi Dreamcast controller adapters

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
With a USA-G bios, CVS2 and MVC2 both look for an I/O board upon boot up.

But, that's because USA-G doesn't support Maple Bus.

undamned

Pleasure Goal
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
With a USA-G bios, CVS2 and MVC2 both look for an I/O board upon boot up.

But, that's because USA-G doesn't support Maple Bus.
Which begs the question: how hard is it to get a game to utilize the MAPLE bus for controls? I'm sure for the 2 you mentioned, it's as simple as a flag somewhere in code, but if it's that simple for other games, that could really open this capability up.
-ud

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Rating - 100%
40   0   1
any body else want to take me up on the deal of soldering up and populating their adapter? ill provide the dc controler ports also. just buy two diy versions from Mitsurugi-w and have them shipped to me

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Yes, the ones that have been programmed to utilize the NAOMI's MAPLE bus. I'm guessing it's less than a dozen games.
-ud

I have a Capcom Naomi panel on my Blast City, but I honestly don't want to go through the games to see which ones work and which ones don't.

... aint nobody got time for that.

undamned

Pleasure Goal
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I have a Capcom Naomi panel on my Blast City, but I honestly don't want to go through the games to see which ones work and which ones don't.

... aint nobody got time for that.
I don't think people are concerned with which games function with the official VMU panel. They want to know which games can be controlled with a DC pad. It is undetermined whether all games that support DC control also support VMU interaction (or vice-versa).

I'm not requesting that someone do any testing for me but, with a NetBoot setup and a DC adapter, it wouldn't be outlandish for someone to blow through the library. I just don't have a NetBoot setup at the moment.
-ud

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Rating - 100%
40   0   1
received the adapters today soldered one up, tested fitted it. i would have sweared before this it would fall out without the lips on the connectors but this is very solid design and wont fall out.

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tested a few. Most only support VMU function. But like you, I have only tested a few to see. I have heard Border Down works in some way but can't figure out how.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
I really don't think you can play anything without an IO attached, maple bus support or not.

I took my netboot setup, and tested a few games. CvS was the first one I got controls working with. In test mode, set VM kit type to CAPCOM (the SEGA option only supports VMU, the CAPCOM option supported controllers and VMU, and I verified that behavior with powerstone 2).

Once I had CvS running with contollers, I shut down, disconnected the JVS IO, and rebooted the game. It gave me JAMMA IO NOT FOUND and that's it. It made it past the boot screen and capcom title/date screen, then hit that error. Marvel Vs Capcom 2 also would not boot without either a capcom or sega JVS IO attached.

It makes sense to me; without an IO you have no coin input, so I could see the games not booting without one even if a controller suffices for player input. If anyone has verified it working otherwise, post up, because I exhausted any options I could find to boot with no IO.

Last edited:

Dion

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
received the adapters today soldered one up, tested fitted it. i would have sweared before this it would fall out without the lips on the connectors but this is very solid design and wont fall out.

Just saw this response somehow. It was not the most difficult thing to design but I did take my time, ruler in hand, and measured everything out. I'm proud of how well everything fit together actually. I spent quite awhile researching connectors and decided these would work well. Usually I would try a few different options before settling on one but they worked so well I went with them.

I really don't think you can play anything without an IO attached, maple bus support or not.

I took my netboot setup, and tested a few games. CvS was the first one I got controls working with. In test mode, set VM kit type to CAPCOM (the SEGA option only supports VMU, the CAPCOM option supported controllers and VMU, and I verified that behavior with powerstone 2).

Once I had CvS running with contollers, I shut down, disconnected the JVS IO, and rebooted the game. It gave me JAMMA IO NOT FOUND and that's it. It made it past the boot screen and capcom title/date screen, then hit that error. Marvel Vs Capcom 2 also would not boot without either a capcom or sega JVS IO attached.

It makes sense to me; without an IO you have no coin input, so I could see the games not booting without one even if a controller suffices for player input. If anyone has verified it working otherwise, post up, because I exhausted any options I could find to boot with no IO.

Good stuff. I was wondering the difference between Sega and Capcom options. Just never had the chance to test it out.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Rating - 100%
40   0   1
anyone else want in on the deal? looking for one more person to buy 2 diy versions and ill provide the ports and labor for their one populated adapter

yoooooon

n00b
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Can you use dreamcast extension cables also? I know it won't be mounted but you'll potentially save the life of a DC. (I've fixed a bunch of DCs for MvC2 tournaments.)

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Rating - 100%
40   0   1
just use my diagram to wire up teh cable to each of the 5 pins on the ports
dcpinout%u00252B3.PNG

Dion

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use dreamcast extension cables also? I know it won't be mounted but you'll potentially save the life of a DC. (I've fixed a bunch of DCs for MvC2 tournaments.)

Some people have bought my DIY kits in order to use with extension cables rather than soldering to the maple bus. The main reason I did this was to do away with some cables since having a full Naomi setup requires ungodly amounts of wires and cables as it is.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Rating - 100%
63   0   0

Sure, it's what I did. I bought an extension cable off ebay (you can find pairs of them cheap), and just cut off one end and soldered the wires to the PCB. I don't do two player much, so I just soldered the Player 1 side for now.

Keep in mind, though, that the wires are extremely thin and likely won't correspond to the official Dreamcast wire colors. So make sure you really study the wires once you cut off one of the ends. Once the PCB is soldered, you'll likely need to add some hot glue to make sure the extension cable doesn't move as you don't want to rip out the wires by accident.

20150110_011038_zpsc2ed2662.jpg

20150110_011055_zps3d25efc3.jpg

20150110_011329_zpsa295f602.jpg

Last edited:

baphomet

n00b
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, as has been said, this can definitely be done
Its what had done until I picked up a few of the adapters. The wires in those extension cables aren't very sturdy. I didn't have any issues in the few weeks I had used them like that, but I guarantee at some point I would have had to fix them. It wasn't worth the trouble to me. Not to mention these look significantly better.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Rating - 100%
40   0   1
Yea, as has been said, this can definitely be done
Its what had done until I picked up a few of the adapters. The wires in those extension cables aren't very sturdy. I didn't have any issues in the few weeks I had used them like that, but I guarantee at some point I would have had to fix them. It wasn't worth the trouble to me. Not to mention these look significantly better.

qft

i got tired of mine falling apart due to those wires.

Last edited:

Dion

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love seeing what you guys do with my designs. Feels good that fellow collectors find them helpful or convenient.

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Got a pile of Dreamcasts with broken drives from a friend, so I have a bunch of controller ports I can harvest now.

In the spirit of the community generosity I see so much here, you guys can have some for free.

Just shoot me a PM and pay for the shipping, and they are yours.
(a $5.50 flat rate box will get it to you in 2 days)

I have a dozen or so 2-port assemblies, each one will fit one of Mitsu's 2 port PCBs. You'll have to desolder them from the board and solder them to Mitsu's PCB like he's shown.

imr9ly6l.jpg

Edit- yes, there's more than the 4 shown in the pic, those are the first to be pulled out.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Got a pile of Dreamcasts with broken drives from a friend, so I have a bunch of controller ports I can harvest now.

In the spirit of the community generosity I see so much here, you guys can have some for free.

I have a dozen or so 2-port assemblies, each one will fit one of Mitsu's 2 port PCBs. You'll have to desolder them from the board and solder them to Mitsu's PCB like he's shown.

imr9ly6l.jpg

Edit- yes, there's more than the 4 shown in the pic, those are the first to be pulled out.

How cool!

Get one from Rec and have it sent direct to Mit's! :D

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
48   0   0

imr9ly6l.jpg

Damn that's nice of you! Shot you a PM :)

Dion

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

imr9ly6l.jpg

Very generous! Good man!