Gamestop/EB Wii Preorders start tommorow

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Yep, just got an e-mail alert to that effect. Just like the PS3 pre-orders, a reserve doesn't actually guarantee a system on launch.

And dammit, I'm not a fan of this weekday silliness. I'll have to miss a couple hours of work if I end up heading over to the closest EB (out of town) to wait in line to get a reserve.

Highlander67

Sultan of Slugs
jro said:
Yep, just got an e-mail alert to that effect. Just like the PS3 pre-orders, a reserve doesn't actually guarantee a system on launch.

And dammit, I'm not a fan of this weekday silliness. I'll have to miss a couple hours of work if I end up heading over to the closest EB (out of town) to wait in line to get a reserve.

From the reports I have read, Nintendo should have about 1.2 million units for the US at launch.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Highlander67 said:
From the reports I have read, Nintendo should have about 1.2 million units for the US at launch.
Yeah, that sounds reasonable. Isn't EB/GS claiming that they expect about 50 consoles per store? That's still fairly low, but I doubt that many people will be lined up at opening.

Still, though, I'd wanna be in the first 5-10 in line so I can be sure my system will be available at launch.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
I don't think it will be as crazy as the PS3 preorder madness.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
I just got called from my local EB store. They stated that they are slated to get 8-12 units at launch and that I should show up by 8am tomorrow to have a good chance to pre order one.

Get fucking serious. I am not going to stand in line to pre order a system. I want a Wii but they need to stop acting like it is as limited as the PS3 launch. I will either order on line, pick one up after launch or wait to they are available in stores.

bay

Armored Scrum Object
Gameoz said:
I just got called from my local EB store. They stated that they are slated to get 8-12 units at launch and that I should show up by 8am tomorrow to have a good chance to pre order one.

i think the ps3 allocation was only in the teens per store as well..

i don't think sony or nintendo want us to play their consoles till 2007

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Waiting in a line for a guaranteed system is one thing, but waiting in a line for a pre-order that could possibly not even net you a release day purchase?

Fuck that shit.

I'd much rather just hit up Circuit City or Best Buy sometime in the early AM; since they're shipping so many consoles, it shouldn't be too hard to get one that way.

cafu1982

Krauser's Henchman
bay said:
i think the ps3 allocation was only in the teens per store as well..

i don't think sony or nintendo want us to play their consoles till 2007

or at least pay a premium until after the christmas rush.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
Average Joe said:
Waiting in a line for a guaranteed system is one thing, but waiting in a line for a pre-order that could possibly not even net you a release day purchase?

Fuck that shit.

I'd much rather just hit up Circuit City or Best Buy sometime in the early AM; since they're shipping so many consoles, it shouldn't be too hard to get one that way.

I agree.

Also, I live in MN and it is already cold where I live.

Being Mexican, if I show up two hours before a store opens I will probably end up in hand cuffs. 911...we have a Mexican in front of an electronics store that is not open. The others are probably already inside.

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
Average Joe said:

Fuck that shit.

True Story.

There are many places that will get the systems as well. It isn't like Nintendo could just ignore them.

Highlander67

Sultan of Slugs
Gameoz said:
I agree.

Also, I live in MN and it is already cold where I live.

Being Mexican, if I show up two hours before a store opens I will probably end up in hand cuffs. 911...we have a Mexican in front of an electronics store that is not open. The others are probably already inside.

Oh noes you didn't

warnerbros.jpg

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Christ, 8-12 systems is ricockulous.

Due to my predeliction to buying plenty of games with a new system, I'm leaning toward just waiting until EB starts selling online bundles. I don't really mind picking up some games and accessories, may as well save the trouble of waiting in lines and still not being guaranteed a system.

My guess is EB/GS makes sure to fill bundles first, as they stand to lose far more money if they have to refund those vs. refunds for the consoles alone.

Meh.

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
I called 3 stores in my general area, one being an EB Games and the other two being Gamestops.

The EB games wouldn't give me an exact number, but it'll be under 20. The first Gamestop didn't answer their phone after about 7 rings, so they can suck a dick. And the second GS told me that they are getting in about 18 systems.

This is kind of disappointing, since the shipping number for the console is so high. I'll most likely be standing in line tomorrow morning to for a pre-order, but if I manage not to get one or get lazy and just sleep in, I at least have online pre-orders to fall back on.

GeoStigma

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Based on the EB/GS policy of, "pre-ordering doesn't guarantee you anything" I think I'll just stick with one of the deserted stores in my area that no one ever goes too (i.e. K-Mart, Toy R Us).

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
KumagaiToshiro said:
I called 3 stores in my general area, one being an EB Games and the other two being Gamestops.

The EB games wouldn't give me an exact number, but it'll be under 20. The first Gamestop didn't answer their phone after about 7 rings, so they can suck a dick. And the second GS told me that they are getting in about 18 systems.

This is kind of disappointing, since the shipping number for the console is so high. I'll most likely be standing in line tomorrow morning to for a pre-order, but if I manage not to get one or get lazy and just sleep in, I at least have online pre-orders to fall back on.
This actually continues a trend with Nintendo and Gamestop. Way back when the Gamecube launched, I was an assistant manager at Gamestop (still Babbage's then). Nintendo allowed us to do 24 pre-orders, no more (I got one of them, of course). We got exactly those 24 consoles in for launch, then no more than another 20 or so before Christmas.

Toys R Us, on the other hand, had them overflowing the shelves, just a block down the street. Nintendo seems to strongly favor Toys R Us and Wal-Mart, in particular, over boutique stores.

My guess is the same thing is happening with the Wii. 15 consoles to Gamestop, 75 to Wal-Mart.

Interesting.

For comparison's sake, Microsoft let us do 126 reserves for the original XBox, and they actually delivered 140 systems for launch.

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
jro said:
This actually continues a trend with Nintendo and Gamestop. Way back when the Gamecube launched, I was an assistant manager at Gamestop (still Babbage's then). Nintendo allowed us to do 24 pre-orders, no more (I got one of them, of course). We got exactly those 24 consoles in for launch, then no more than another 20 or so before Christmas.

Toys R Us, on the other hand, had them overflowing the shelves, just a block down the street. Nintendo seems to strongly favor Toys R Us and Wal-Mart, in particular, over boutique stores.

My guess is the same thing is happening with the Wii. 15 consoles to Gamestop, 75 to Wal-Mart.

Interesting.

For comparison's sake, Microsoft let us do 126 reserves for the original XBox, and they actually delivered 140 systems for launch.

Maybe they expect to do better business with those places? Though, that doesn't make sense, since the Toys R Us near my apartment is never that busy. The Walmart is, though, but what else is new? Here's to hoping I can actually get my pre-order and I don't get shafted before the launch and can actually get my system.

twalden

Leona's Therapist
20 Year Member
I've never bought a console on launch day and with this standing in line crap, I don't think I'll start now. I got my Gamecube in 2004, so I'm in no hurry to get a Wii.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
jro said:

Nintendo relys more on the parents of the Casual/non Gammer... GOing all the way back to the NES.

Most of these people might not think to go into a game store to get thier kids a Nintendo for XMAS.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Guess I'll be one of the saps in line tomorrow... As opposed to PS3, I actually really want a Wii to play. I really hope I can get one.

MJ1984

Banned
Yeah my EB is only letting in 9 preorders - same amount as PS3. Ridiculous considering it is supposed to launch with 4 X the number of PS3's. I guess I'll be standing in line at walmart again. At least it's warm in there.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
My friend called Nintendo World and they told him to get to the store "NOW" because their running out and today might be the final day for preorders. He got there around two in the afternoon and their were already five people in the store and he was able to get his preorder in and another for Zelda.

I hate this BS that all these stores do. You know their holding them for the employees. It's the same shit that happened when my friend and I went to the local Wal-Mart for our DS. There were six people including us at the door and that just happened to be the number of systems they had... :smirk: The best was when one of these guys with his kid was yelling how they were supposed to get 20-30 systems, and it went down to just six? Yeah right.