Ghostlop is a solid clone of Puzzle Bobble

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Can't believe I've slept on this one for so long.

Ghostlop has fewer colored orbs to knock out (really just two), but it has a great gimmick in the colored throwing ball used to clear the ghost orbs. A for Red and B for blue, can even switch the ball color as it is moving. This makes for an incredibly fast paced puzzle game, or at least as fast as Puzzle Bubble can be. For now I think I even prefer it a bit to regular Puzzle Bobble and like it a lot more than Magical Drop.

(Panel De Pon aka Tetris Attack is still king of the competitive block puzzle game though)

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Normally I'm not a huge puzzle fan, but Ghostlop is one of my favorite games on the Neo. My only gripe is it can be a bit too easy.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Given the quality, or lack there of, of some of the other "puzzle" genre games on the Neo Geo I was always surprised that this got canned. If they didn't think it would make a good enough return in the arcades, they could have pushed it out as a Neo CD exclusive. I'm sure it wouldn't have fared any worse than Zintrick... and I'd rather play Ghostlop than Zintrick.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Y'know there are still neo geo games I have never played and this is one of them.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
Ghostlop is actually really good. I had always thought it was a licensing issue being so close to a Ghost Busters theme, maybe more of copyright infringement.

Zintrick isn’t the worst on the Neo but it’s far from the top. I’ve talked about Gururin before, it’s one of my favorites and also one of the most unique puzzle games across platforms.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Given the quality, or lack there of, of some of the other "puzzle" genre games on the Neo Geo I was always surprised that this got canned.
I'm not sure what you mean, since Magical Drop, Puzzle Bobble and Puzzle de Pon are all very solid.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I'm not sure what you mean, since Magical Drop, Puzzle Bobble and Puzzle de Pon are all very solid.
lol, I never said they weren't - I said "some" of the other puzzle games - e.g., Guruin, Pop 'n' Bounce...

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Alright, dig it!

Excellent!

Sensational!

Also the final boss, the master of all ghosts, is genuinely a challenge. Works out OK in balance of the early fights being too easy.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
lol, I never said they weren't - I said "some" of the other puzzle games - e.g., Guruin, Pop 'n' Bounce...
Okay. Pop'n Bounce is a Breakout clone, so I don't think I'd classify it as a puzzle game.

why? it's really not a bad game. I like the twist it adds to PB.
Yeah. Knocking the shape loose is fun.

KGRAMR

Another Striker
It really does suck that the game was never officially released back in the day :( Data East was really one of the best if not the best 3rd party developers on the Neo Geo.