Giving Blood

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Does anyone here have a problem with giving blood? The last time I gave blood was like 2 weeks ago. I had to do a MRI with contrast and the nurse told me that I turned pale white and couldn't stop sweating. This is a fear I've had since I was a kid. I have no problem taking injections in the arm but taking out sometimes makes me feel like passing out. Probably not drinking coffee before I go give blood might help a little.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

when i was an acolyte boy in church

there was a big ceremony

this was in the summer of 2003

i was wearing all these heavy robes and really nervous

we walked a bit

i was carrying a cross maybe i can't remember

then i fainted

there was a doctor and they carried me out

it was a Great Shame of my life

i hardly ever went back to church after that

they said it was syncope

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I know two people that will faint at the sight of blood. Bloody nose, scratch, or even the thought of it.
They really do turn Pale Ass White. It was the most bizarre thing to watch.

One has kids, so he's getting slightly more tolerable. The other is a lady that will likely never have kids because of this.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
oh on the topic of giving blood i remember when i did that i would always look at the site of injection and watch the blood come out, feel the tube even, it's warm!

donating at your local red cross could save three lives, y'all

be a Hometown Hero by donating today

don't forget about platelet donations, you can watch a movie while it's going on~

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
Vasovagal syncope is very very common during medical procedures including while giving blood. It is easy to work yourself into an episode. Don't look at the needle, the blood as it exits your vein, or focus on what is 'going' to happen. The more anxious you are the most likely that hypotension will set it and you will feel faint.

bryan

Geese's Thug
I would not be here typing this if people were not kind enough to give me blood. Thanks to who ever it was.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
The other is a lady that will likely never have kids because of this.

How does she handle menstruation? A magical portal inside her vagina that goes to a cosmic menstrual blood depository? Because I'd be wary of putting my penis anywhere near that.

Zapperkhan

Kula's Candy
This happens to me but it's not just needles and blood. Happened most days in health class too, just talking about the body systems and how they function would cause an episode pretty much everything in that wiki, sweating, loss of vision and fainting.

Best time was during sex ed in 5th grade were talking about dicks or something and I excused myself due to being light headed and freaking out cause it was really sudden. Thought I was going to puke so I went into a bathroom stall and while I was bending over dry heaving I blacked out and fell forward in a way to hit the flusher. I lost consciousness for a few seconds and woke up in a cold sweat on the cold nasty bathroom floor hearing the toilet cycle finish. Next year I had my mom sign the opt out of sex ed class to save me from embarrassment.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
This happens to me but it's not just needles and blood. Happened most days in health class too, just talking about the body systems and how they function would cause an episode pretty much everything in that wiki, sweating, loss of vision and fainting.

Best time was during sex ed in 5th grade were talking about dicks or something and I excused myself due to being light headed and freaking out cause it was really sudden. Thought I was going to puke so I went into a bathroom stall and while I was bending over dry heaving I blacked out and fell forward in a way to hit the flusher. I lost consciousness for a few seconds and woke up in a cold sweat on the cold nasty bathroom floor hearing the toilet cycle finish. Next year I had my mom sign the opt out of sex ed class to save me from embarrassment.

Oh man, so many issues, I'd love to dig into this.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I got 0+ but those leeches will never get any of it! NEVER!

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I'm fine with needles at the hospital / doctor as long as I don't look at them. When I was a kid I'd faint, now I really don't care.

There was a girl in my class in 4th grade who would faint at the sight of blood, and I happened to get bloody noses all the time. That made for an interesting year.

Zapperkhan

Kula's Candy
Oh man, so many issues, I'd love to dig into this.

Most recent thing (that wasn't going to the dr.) was watching Crank 2 in theaters and the first few minutes have a surgery scene, blacked out for like 30 seconds or so and I'm just kinda quietly sweating writhing in my seat between two friends for a couple of minutes. I've just kinda given up and accept that it happens. I don't have any memories or anything that flash through my brain, just weird triggers and I go all weird. I just consider myself someone who didn't make it through QA lol.

Last edited:

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
No issues here, but I do always look away. You tense up less when you don't know its coming so it goes in smoother and less pain.

This whole needle phobia thing should subside though, what we now have with needles (individually sealed sharpened) vs what it was in our parents/grandparents generation (cleaned and resharpened eventually) is night and day different. They had needles where you could feel the jagged tearing and all that.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I have no issues, in fact I love donating. I have O Neg blood so I get calls all the time for me to donate

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
If we all keep posting up gross surgery pics one after another here we could potentially wipe Zapperkahn out for days.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
How does she handle menstruation? A magical portal inside her vagina that goes to a cosmic menstrual blood depository? Because I'd be wary of putting my penis anywhere near that.

I've actually awkwardly asked this, and she says tries not to look. She is also a little used to it by now.

Earthquake24

Dodgeball Yakuza
No, no problems at all. Whenever I give blood, the needles don't even hurt and I've had some nurses who were awful at taking blood, some moving the needle point while it's still inside the vein. I always end up staring at the needle and the blood collecting into the vial. One of them who was a regular and seemed to always be the one taking my blood on doctor visits once said I was the only person she ever knew who could just stare at the needle and not be bothered.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
I've tried to give blood but apparently I'm not allowed. Damn rules

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Most recent thing (that wasn't going to the dr.) was watching Crank 2 in theaters and the first few minutes have a surgery scene, blacked out for like 30 seconds or so and I'm just kinda quietly sweating writhing in my seat between two friends for a couple of minutes. I've just kinda given up and accept that it happens. I don't have any memories or anything that flash through my brain, just weird triggers and I go all weird. I just consider myself someone who didn't make it through QA lol.

Crank is an awesome movie, 2 slightly less so.

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
giving blood, shots, needles.... no problem. I like to watch the needle go in, too.

donating plasma once in college - for some reason I almost passed out from that. No idea why.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
i used to donate plasma. I had no issues with it, besides the needle could be a bit painful when inserted. Sometimes i would get a burning feeling which wasn't very nice.