GOG: Preserving Gaming's Past & Future

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Good documentary on the foundation and mission statement of Good Old Games (GOG), CD Projekt Red's DRM free digital.distribution platform.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
GOG is legit. Even if you dont buy from them, they give games away all the time.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I've re-bought so many old games there during the sales where they are all like $1.50.

GOG does a good job of bringing the best versions and extra goodies like maps and manuals to these old games. They are almost always pre-configured and ready to play without any tweaking. Especially the old dosbox games. It's about the only place I buy anything for pc anymore. They just got that decent code mystics port of last blade 2 as well.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Bought the old Alone In The Darkness games from them a while ago.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I should check this out more. All I have is KOF 2002 which I got I believe because I saw that it was free. Anything you guys particularly recommend that is inexpensive and exclusive to this service? I am into fighting games, shmups, and RPGs mostly

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Best place to get Unreal Tournament 99 as far as I know, it's still great.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I'm not sure what is exclusive but GOG is DRM free so that automatically makes it a win over the Steam gatekeeping. Once you buy the game, it can never be pulled off of your library for any reason. Just preserve the .EXE files somewhere.

If you haven't played The Witcher, I'd recommend that. They also have a ton of old RPGs like Wizardry, Ultima and Might and Magic and have good deals on batches.

Since you like RPGs, they have all of the SSI 'gold box' games as well as more recent D&D titles.

Those are good places to start if you're looking for some older and classic fare.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Just preserve the .EXE files somewhere.

You don't even have to since all of their releases are in lots of torrent compilations you can download. And instead of doing some assblasted reactionary move of putting DRM in their games to """stop""" piracy they just live with it, and unlike what the DRM vendor industry say, their business model is doing pretty fine.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Yep.

DRM certainly hasn't hurt sales for The Witcher 3.

Companies that want to earn the consumer's dollar can do it without draconian, patently anti-consumer policies that only punish people who legally buy the game.

And some of this DRM is shady as fuck.

CDPR hasn't changed the industry yet. It's a lazy industry that cares more about control than consumers.

CDPR is the model. They've pantsed an industry that has been promulgating lies ever since the suits found out there was money to be made.

The Witcher 3 proves you don't need DRM. You just need to work harder and produce a game people will pay for.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Those pollocks have done nice work in making a Steam for old games and the documentary is top notch.