Good "challenging" Aes fighter

ocdspacemonkey

Crossed Swords Squire
Hello All

Im hoping someone can recommend me a good fighting game for the neo which is actually challenging to play the cpu.

Now im quite good at fighting games as i expect 99% of this forum are, most of you like me will have been playing them on and off since time began...or even longer in some of your cases:lolz:;) (im 27 in 3 weeks)
Although ive played alot of fighting games in that time ive never really played many neo fighters,
I played sam showdown, fatul fury etc a little in the arcades when i was a kid but never really got my teeth into them because i didnt have coins to put in the slot:(
the closest i really got was to the 16bit ports of fatal fury etc

Since buying my Aes ive bought two fighters...Last Blade and Matrimelee,
The fist one i bought was LB and the first thing i noticed when i put the cart in and played a couple of rounds that the game was really easy, so i pressed reset and put the difficulty to 5.,played a few rounds but was still finding it stupidly easy, so i reset again and just put the difficulty to 8.....and still way to easy, to the point where you can just win by jumping and pressing hard slash, thats with every character on the highest difficulty and complete the game, and not lose a match?? i was like wtf????

So i buy Matrimelle, and to cut a long story short every thing from the above applies to this game to, except for the last boss......which even has to be won by pure brain dead cheese:oh_no:

What i would like to know, is there fighter which actually makes you work for your victories on the highest difficulty, where you HAVE to get the combos down, where you HAVE to be a joystick wizard to beat the damn game at this kind of level.

I totally understand that in 2 player both these games are excellent with a really good 2p opponent, where you both have to step it up and know the mechanics to a tee to beat eachother, but is there a neo fighter that i can get a bit of this in 1p mode??

hmmm:scratch:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Neo fighters (basically -any- fighter) are not really meant to be played vs. CPU.

90% of them are very easy, regardless of the difficulty settings. Some give you more challenge than the others, though (AoF2, KoF95 and Samsho 3 (on highest diff of course) come to mind). Rule of thumb: The older the game, the more, let's say, unforgiving and cheesy the CPU.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Neo fighters (basically -any- fighter) are not really meant to be played vs. CPU.

90% of them are very easy, regardless of the difficulty settings. Some give you more challenge than the others, though (AoF2, KoF95 and Samsho 3 (on highest diff of course) come to mind). Rule of thumb: The older the game, the more, let's say, unforgiving and cheesy the CPU.

I must suck at MotW - because it seemed like Grant hit me 3 times and I was out.

I was getting AAA and AA rankings... so I was doing pretty good up until him.

I'm just learning the ropes of fighting games.

Now that I have a good stick to use.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Bosses are different beasts! :)

Take Igniz and Zero in 2k1 for example, you can beat them quite easily if you know how to do it but until you find out about it, they'll give you a hard time.

But there are lame bosses as well, like Zero in KoF2k, Orochi in KoF97, etc.

ocdspacemonkey

Crossed Swords Squire

The thing is 90% of my fighting game experience has been in 1 player mode and ive never noticed this kind of poor cpu play ever before,
I really am disopointed:confused:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Okay, then give Art of Fighting 2 a try, most people find it very difficult so it may be right up your street.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Well done, theres very few neo fighters I can complete on one credit. I'm shit at the samurai shodown series, but I do find LB1 a little easier.

KOF98 is pretty simple, mostly.

I just suck \\o

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
AOF2 is one of the few games I ever got seriously angry at.

Still love the game though.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I'm really not good at identifying patters in hard fighters , so I just end up getting my ass whipped, over, and over, and over.
:(

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
You can beat the AI fairly easy with their patterns but that's no fun.

Fighting them normally is the way to go.

Unfortunately that fun also works in tandem with frustrating.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I can 1cc many Neo fighters on on highest diff against the CPU but that doesn't mean I'd be a good versus player, I'm mediocre at best and that's being generous.

Too much 1P playing has an impact on your skills because the CPU let's you do things a good human opponent would punish immediately. Eventually your game will become perfunctory and lazy and your attacks and defensive actions just as predictable as the CPU's.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Sometimes you just can't fight fairly though, you have to play the patterns, AOF2 is surely one of those, and it doesn't make it enjoyable because you're just doing the same thing over and over. 2P is the way to go, but no-ones going to play AOF2 with me 2P really are they.

djdelly

Teh Mizzle
I'm really not good at identifying patters in hard fighters , so I just end up getting my ass whipped, over, and over, and over.
:(
Neither am I, which is why I will never beat KOF 94 and SS2... :(

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Sometimes you just can't fight fairly though, you have to play the patterns, AOF2 is surely one of those, and it doesn't make it enjoyable because you're just doing the same thing over and over. 2P is the way to go, but no-ones going to play AOF2 with me 2P really are they.

That's a pity because 2P is where AoF2 really shines, I still love it a lot.

For me, playing AoF2 in 1P is like playing a manic shmup, you gotta be persistent, find the gaps in the bullet storms and take advantage of them or you'll never make it to the end.

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
Another vote for AOF2 as a challenge. Even knowing the patterns, I still get my butt kicked.

Too much 1P playing has an impact on your skills because the CPU let's you do things a good human opponent would punish immediately. Eventually your game will become perfunctory and lazy and your attacks and defensive actions just as predictable as the CPU's.

This very same situation has happened to me. Years and years of playing against the CPU has caused me to overuse the jumping D attacks. I do it almost automatically now, and every time I play a real human I get punished for it.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Neither am I, which is why I will never beat KOF 94 and SS2... :(

I used to think that about KOF94, but honestly, Rugal is tricky, but actually very easy on it.

1st round: get him in the corner, AB dodge, C throw, AB dodge, C throw, AB dodge, C throw = dead.

2nd round: ABC charge so that he ABC charges too, then go in and punish him.

Round 2 is definitely harder than the first, the first is a no brainer. But its definitely not impossible. I still haven't done it on 1 credit though, only two.

KOF95 is a different matter, I can't even get to Rugal.

LB2 I got recently on MVS , and christ I find it so much harder than the first, I can usually get to the bosses with zantetsu or moriya pretty easily, on LB2 shigen just kicks my ass every time with his 'turn grey, you can't hurt me' bullshit.

Perhaps we should have a thread in gameplay listing the best ways to finish each game. a thread for each game, or a general 'how to finish xxx' thread.

I do have a text file I keep which I write down any way I find to beat bosses but it only has two or three games in it :annoyed:

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
AOF2 and FFS come to mind. I'm bad at fighters, but I find those two to be the most difficult.

Like Takumaji said, the older games are mosty harder (with games from 94 being the hardest, give a year [samsho3] or take a year [FFS].

djdelly

Teh Mizzle

fuck that... I have both LB on MVS and LB2 both, but LB2 is kicking it in MN :emb:... I can do shit against the computer in either.... 2-3 credits to get to the Boss, providing that I haven't given up and put MOTW back in...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
KOF95 is a different matter, I can't even get to Rugal.

Choose a chara with long reach and low-D-sweep your way to victory. It doesn't work all the time but it's amazing how often the CPU falls for it.

LB2 I got recently on MVS , and christ I find it so much harder than the first, I can usually get to the bosses with zantetsu or moriya pretty easily, on LB2 shigen just kicks my ass every time with his 'turn grey, you can't hurt me' bullshit.

My all-purpose weapons of choice for easy wins are Okina and Lee, the first in Power mode, the latter in Speed mode. Speed mode Lee is a combo monster with lots of easy but damaging setups and Power Okina has the easiest super cancel (:hcb:+:A:/:B: -> :forw::hcf:+:B:), apart from his standard arsenal of quite safe and damaging moves. Even Shigen is no prob with him.

Oh, and it can't hurt to know a thing or two about how to repel high, low and jumping attacks with D, as a matter of fact it's essential for high-level play.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
1 player fighting games :oh_no:

its 2009.

get a usb joystick/adapter and get on ggpo.

bring out your neo geo when your friends are over.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
So is MotW easy?

Last Blade 1 and 2 are pretty simple for me on Level 4. but Sam Sho 2 for some reason works me over.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
1 player fighting games :oh_no:

its 2009.

get a usb joystick/adapter and get on ggpo.

bring out your neo geo when your friends are over.

I enjoy playing in 1p for the storylines, and lets face it no-ones going to play some of the neo fighters against me on the cab :D

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I find MotW easy but only with Marco and Rock, I always get beaten to the ground with other charas. Never really bothered to learn them.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I really like freeman in motw, I've finished it with him pretty easily.