Leviathan
Four Lions
Tropa de Elite
The Addiction
The Serpent And The Rainbow

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
^Aguirre also; hell, all of the Herzog/Kinski ones.

All their collaborations were great.

Aside from his work with Herzog, Kinski also shines in The Great Silence.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I would recommend Shot Caller and Felon if you havent seen them. Great movies that went right under the radar for most people

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Oh wow, I just thought of this one: Ravenous. Released in 1999 and starring a then-unknown Guy Pearce and then-unknown pedophile Jeffrey Jones (the Ferris Bueller principal and dad in Beetlejuice).

It's a horror set in 1840s California and digs around the wendigo legend, about men who become cannibals and get the strength of the person they ate, but are cursed with hunger for human flesh. It sounds like a lame Sci Fi channel (uhhh Syfy channel) made-for-TV movie but I remember really liking it. The non-existent marketing and the incredibly bland movie poster is what killed it. I haven't seen it in maybe 15 years, would definitely like to rewatch it now and see if it holds up. Dunno if it's on any streaming service.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ravenous_(1999_film)

Legend has it that the director or someone who worked on the movie cried when they saw the movie poster, because they knew it would fail at the box office. I read that long ago but can't find it on wikipedia or imdb.

It appears there's another film with the same title released in 2017 that has nothing to do with the 1999 film.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
El Topo
Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls
The Holy Mountain

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I was going to recommend El Topo and The Holy Mountain but I thought people here saw those, dunno. Never seen Beyond the Valley of the Dolls.

Also, Speed Racer by the Wachowskis. That is the ultimate movie, much like FFVII is the ultimate RPG.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Ravenous is definitely something to see for those who haven't already. Completely forgot about it.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Not all of these are super rare but are kind of smaller movies that came and went:

Stranger than Fiction (Will Ferrell's first attempt at making a non-Will Ferrell movie... boring tax adjuster suddenly can hear a narrator in his head that narrates his every action and realizes he's the main character of a book about his own death)

Freaked (Alex Winter's bizarro comedy/practical FX extravaganza about an asshole who ends up forced in to a group of circus freaks... not a "great" movie but wonderfully weird and one of the last great practical f/x movies)

The Final Girls (meta horror-comedy a la Cabin in the Woods about a girl who gets reunited with her deceased mother when she and her friends get trapped in an old slasher movie her mom starred in... alternates between being silly and sweet/emotional effortlessly)

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (not as unheralded after Robert Downey Jr became Tony Stark but this movie is the reason he got cast in the role... noir detective story using the Shane Black formula where every living human being is a one-liner machine but works sooooo well with RDJ and Val Kilmer... my wife's favorite movie ever)

Seven Psychopaths (dark comedy from the In Bruges guy... group of weirdos including Sam Rockwell, Christopher Walken, Woody Harrelson and Colin Farrell all intersect in a Tarantino-lite story)

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
The ninth configuration deserves a mention incredible film.

NightWolve

NEST Puppet
I got a really good one I thought of that likely slipped by, almost forgot to post about it...

The Art of Self-Defense - 2019

Think of a Cobra Kai dojo with a John Kreese (Martin Kove) figure and the whole "Mercy is for the weak!" mentality... Take that concept, play with it to further extremes with tips from Quentin Tarantino and THIS is what you get!

It sucks even slightly describing the plot because the pay-off was so great, the trailer gives away too much perhaps as well... I went into it with a blank slate, just because of Jesse Eisenberg, and a basic tag was enough: some guy got beat up who wants to learn martial arts to defend himself. Starts slow, boring almost, but they put a hell of a twist in this, that's for sure!

HIGHLY recommended!

It's f*cking "woah" great by the end!

Last edited:

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
I was going to recommend El Topo and The Holy Mountain but I thought people here saw those, dunno. Never seen Beyond the Valley of the Dolls.

Also, Speed Racer by the Wachowskis. That is the ultimate movie, much like FFVII is the ultimate RPG.

STAGE bruh, if you were 6Ls deep, would you let me punch your fat, hairy beer gut? Just remember to exhale.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Coherence and Primer, budgets $50,000 and $7,000, respectively. Most people have probably heard of Primer, but Coherence is also really good.

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
Coherence and Primer, budgets $50,000 and $7,000, respectively. Most people have probably heard of Primer, but Coherence is also really good.

I enjoyed them both. While on the topic of Shane Carruth, Upstream Color is a real odd ball of a movie which I also liked.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I enjoyed them both. While on the topic of Shane Carruth, Upstream Color is a real odd ball of a movie which I also liked.

Spaced that one, good call. Carruth is a really interesting case of a guy with massive talent who's made so few movies and seems to thrive on the challenge of taking ambitious, high-brow stories and telling them really effectively on a shoestring budget.

Alex Garland is really the only comparative sci-fi writer/director (I mean in output type/quality, not project budgets), IMO, and Carruth is arguably the better writer of the two. Tells his stories more coherently.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
No one ever talks about Synechdoche, New York anymore. Ebert said it was the best movie of the 2000s, but it only pulled in 4 mil at the box office.

Charlie Kaufman's got a new movie called I'm Thinking of Ending Things, which might be coming out on netflix soon.

kirax7

Cheng's Errand Boy
Lucky Number Slevin, The Adjustment Bureau, The air I breathe

Some of the movies I'll re-watch occasionally but I never see anyone talk about them.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I saw a great movie last night. Total Classic.
I can't remember what it was called.
It was about this newspaper tycoon and he was dead and everybody was telling stories about him.
Orson Welles was in it.

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
The Legend of 1900
Yes Madam
The Great Outdoors
The Goods
The Man Who Knew Too Little
Cold Pursuit
Overlord
Fury - I know it's well known, but I'm surprised at how many have never seen it.
Upgrade
Looper - Another I'm surprised others haven't seen

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Into the Night
The Wanderers
Rumble Fish
Fright Night 2
The Gate