Great movies that are easily missed

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Any recommendations for good movies that you barely hear of? Looking for stuff like Blue Ruin, Moon and, to lesser extent, Jackie Brown. I could have easily missed those if I didn't hear about them by chance (mostly here).

Edit: while we are at it, also in the mood for cyberpunk movies (preferbly new). Doesn't have to be great. Just enjoyable enough. Examples: Blade Runner 2049, Ghost in the Shell movie, Total Recall remake, The Surrogate .... Etc.

Last edited:

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
If you have never seen it, see Rolling Thunder. It's one of Paul Schrader lesser known scripts. It's a great revenge film that doesn't get much appreciation.

If you like crime films see Cohen and Tate.

If you want to see something weird and artsy see Alphaville.

Just off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
John Carpenters The Thing

I don't think it's easily missed but a hell of a lot of people I talk to have never seen it. :(

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
If you have never seen it, see Rolling Thunder. It's one of Paul Schrader lesser known scripts. It's a great revenge film that doesn't get much appreciation.

His script got unrecognizable in that movie though... still a great flick I think. A B-tier Taxi Driver.

2D_mastur

10 Year Member
His script got unrecognizable in that movie though... still a great flick I think. A B-tier Taxi Driver.

People stay that, but the only thing they have in common is an explosive violent ending.

They are very different in tone and character.

Last edited:

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Fantastic Planet
Beyond the Black Rainbow
Under the Skin
It Follows
A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night
A Scanner Darkly
THX 1138

For cyberpunk, there isn't much. I'd say read Gibson's Neuromancer / Sprawl trilogy if you haven't. That and Snow Crash.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Fear of a Black Hat is a great mockumentary that doesn’t get mentioned much. Think a hip hop Spinal Tap.

For cyberpunk I can’t think of many other films besides Johnny Mnemonic or Lawnmower Man. Not great, but not horrible either. Lots more cyberpunk type stuff if you want to go anime. Ghost In The Shell, Akira, and Bubblegum Crisis are some that cone to mind. Snatcher is also great if you want a classic cyberpunk adventure game.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Edit: while we are at it, also in the mood for cyberpunk movies (preferbly new). Doesn't have to be great. Just enjoyable enough. Examples: Blade Runner 2049, Ghost in the Shell movie, Total Recall remake, The Surrogate .... Etc.

Im sure you seen Alita. Whgat about Ex-Machina, Elysium, or tv series Altered Carbon.

If you dont mind subtitles, there was a Korean movie called Natural City. Blade Runner ripoff...Also Jin-Roh Wolf Brigade live action.

2D_mastur

10 Year Member
If you like trashy cyberpunk movies try "Split Second".

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Predestination

I accidentally watched this twice. I saw it around when it came out, then someone recommended it a few years later. I wasn't sure if I had seen it until about 30 minutes into the movie.
This is a good one.

The Nice Guys

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Fantastic Planet
Beyond the Black Rainbow
Under the Skin
It Follows
A Scanner Darkly
THX 1138

For cyberpunk, there isn't much. I'd say read Gibson's Neuromancer / Sprawl trilogy if you haven't. That and Snow Crash.

I'm still waiting for a good movie based on Snow Crash. Loved that book.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
If you like boxing movies, Adam Carolla made a pretty funny one called The Hammer. I wouldn't call it great but it was worth a watch.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I don't think that anyone really talked about They Live until 5-10 years ago.

Another underappreciated movie is "Near Dark". I watched it as a 10 year old and was horrified by it. Took me years until I finally found out what the title of the movie was.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I've also been meaning to watch "Sorcerer" for some time.

Friedkin (French Connection, Exorcist) says more people ask himi about Sorcerer than any of his movies.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Sorcerer is good, and I'm thankful for its existence for giving us one of the greatest Simpsons gags of all time, but it doesn't stand a chance compared to The Wages of Fear.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Sorcerer is good, and I'm thankful for its existence for giving us one of the greatest Simpsons gags of all time, but it doesn't stand a chance compared to The Wages of Fear.

Fuck I had forgotten about that movie... aside from the lame ending it was a masterpiece.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Fantastic Planet
Beyond the Black Rainbow
Under the Skin
It Follows
A Scanner Darkly
THX 1138

“A scanner darkly” is fantastic and feels like a psychedelic mushroom or acid trip

I would recommend “moon” if you like sci fi or if you really want to go deep check out “ Metropolis” I must warn you it’s a silent German film but very interesting non the less.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Nort is on point with Sorcerer. Moon is also awesome.

I'll nominate Hardware, Flatliners, Near Dark and Body Heat. I'll also give a shout to What Keeps you Alive. Imma throw in Videodrome and Deadringers.

Last edited:

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
Many good suggestions here. I love Jeremy Saulniers movies, like Blue Ruin.

The Seventh Continent (1989)
Green Room (2015)
The Rider (2017)
Border (2018)
Columbus (2017)
The Duke of Burgundy (2014)
They Shall Not Grow Old (2018)

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
The Yakuza (Sidney Pollack, '74) - top notch Paul Schrader script, superb performance by Ken Takakura.
Black Rain (Ridley Scott, '89) - you'll want to see that after Yakuza, because of... Takakura.
Thunderheart (Michael Apted, '92) - with a great looking Val Kilmer & an engaging script.
Uncovered (by Jim McBride, '94) - McBride is a great, totally overlooked talent.
Stormy Monday (Mike Figgis, '88) - arguably the best Sting movie.
Liebestraum (Mike Figgis, '91) - excellent Lynch rip-off, sometimes better than the original.
White Sands (Roger Donaldson, '92) - great Mickey Rourke performance.
Dead Calm (Phillip Noyce, '87) - Sam Neill & young Kidman on a yacht and nothing but dead calm around them.
Purple Noon (René Clément, '60) - one of my favorite films.
...and everything from Claude Chabrol.
Ghost in the Shell (Shirow/Oshii, '95) - the cyperpunk anime.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Did anyone in the US watch lock stock and two smoking barrels?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Guy Ritchie films were popular with young American men in the 2000s. LS&TSB, Snatch and RockNRolla. They permeated pop culture at the time, for sure.

I checked right now and just learned Guy directed the Aladdin remake. Weird.