Have you ever beaten ghost pilots?

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I like aspects of it, but not on the whole enough to 1cc it.

The major strikes against it for me, are Raiden syndrome (slow ship/fast enemy bullets) and bomb explosions that don’t clear the screen.

If I want to scratch the Ghost Pilots itch, I play SkyShark.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Piston Takashi codirected this with a guy named Tama, who only did three more games after this.

The planner, Yama O, apparently this was his first game. After this just a bunch of Special Thanks credits.

The two programmers who worked at SNK for a few years, this was their last game.

Then there's a ton of guys listed for Design, whose only credit is for this game or one other. One guy listed here is still in the industry, Capsule Kodama, most recently as a producer for the RE4 remake.

I used to joke to, uh, myself, in my mind, that this game was developed by recent college grads, and it seems to be true for the most part. A couple big names and people still in the industry in 2023 worked on this, but for the most part this was made by SNK guys on their way out or by new guys who never did anything afterwards.

As much as this game is just not fun to play, I respect the people who made it. At least they made something. Salut, cheers, ganbei, whatever. Still talking about this shit game 30+ years on.

Source: https://www.mobygames.com/game/16843/ghost-pilots/credits/arcade/?autoplatform=true

Long live Ghost Pilots.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
He doesn't get close in this video, and he mentions he hasn't at 38:11. Haha, it's funny I was able to look this up.

I thought he's 1cc'd most Neo shooters. How can you 1cc Last Resort, Blazing Star & Pulstar, but not Ghost Pilots?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I thought he's 1cc'd most Neo shooters. How can you 1cc Last Resort, Blazing Star & Pulstar, but not Ghost Pilots?
At this point I would pay money to see you. Neo Elephant Man.

Johnny16Bit

Camel Slug

To 1cc Ghost Pilots, you need to be a Japanese left-handed sperg redhead.
To 1cc the rest is just regular superplay.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
this is the moment Joe's love for bbh dies.

Have you guys considered he might not want to 1cc ghost pilots? Do you really want to spend potentially 1 hour per attempt, with many many practice attempts, to do it?

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Have you guys considered he might not want to 1cc ghost pilots? Do you really want to spend potentially 1 hour per attempt, with many many practice attempts, to do it?
to be fair though... he does do this with countless other games that really, really, are not worth the time and effort of most people who are aware of their own mortality and the other things our short lives have to offer.

So, yeah, still don't understand, fully, why he hasn't tbh.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
this is the moment Joe's love for bbh dies.

But, it's also about your skill. If you have more skill, it will take fewer practice attempts.
1CC's are a combination of tactics (knowledge), and skill.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I beat it bitd in the arcade, and again when I got it on MVS. But never 1cc'd it nor do I care to bother with that. I enjoy the game but it does have it's issues.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Just played through Ghost Pilots for the first time in many years.

The problem with this game is it's a 1984 game released in 1990. Don't let the graphics confuse you, that's an illusion.

In fact I can't think of a game that better encompasses that. When you think of early arcade games, you think of games where it's just kind of the same game that goes on and on, with little change in variation. That's exactly what this is, with a 16-bit coat of paint.

Unlike every other game released in 1990, the developers hadn't realized that levels need to differentiate themselves. Every single level is almost the exact same, with very minor differences. It's crazy how 1984 this game is.

There's that fake-out at the beginning where it looks like Ghost Pilots has branching paths a la Darius...and then after a few levels, you go back to the route select and, uh, choose the other remaining route. So no branching paths at all. Not sure what their thinking was with that.

Maybe the best thing about the game - well, aside from the misleading kickass logo - is the bomb. It's a juicy bomb, very juicy. There are three bombs to choose from, and the third one also has a nice sound effect when it drops.

I would pay money to have a look at people's reactions in 1990 upon buying a Neo-Geo for $650 and then an additional $200 or $300 to buy this at the time.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Until ~the mid 90s, really, the attitude was that anybody could make shooting games, and they often were projects for engineers who had just graduated from college. In last month’s SOTM, Sage posted some interviews with Takatsuna Senba where he mentions this.

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
A friend of mine made a rudimentary shooting game and proclaimed that making one is more about having good art than anything else. The gameplay in his game was not that fun.

KGRAMR

Another Striker
Until ~the mid 90s, really, the attitude was that anybody could make shooting games, and they often were projects for engineers who had just graduated from college. In last month’s SOTM, Sage posted some interviews with Takatsuna Senba where he mentions this.
Hell, even Zero Wing was a project to train upcoming Toaplan staffers and was initially not intended to be release.