Have you ever beaten ghost pilots?

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
Sure anyone can credit feed through it, but have you ever taken the time out from playing other more enjoyable games to do so?

As for myself, yes, 20+ years ago I credit fed my way through ghost pilots. The game was much longer than I expected. I've booted it up a few times since then but have no drive to push my way through it again, even decades later.

Kudos to the game for making me feel like I made it through a war though.

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
I posted this in the wrong forum accidentally. Someone with the power, please feel free to move to General Discussion or delete it.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I feel like Ghost Pilots is one of those misunderstood games that will click once you start playing it properly (no credit feeding) since there doesn't seem to be anything technically wrong with it... but it's too fucking long so I'll never find out

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Found a post I made about it in the shooter thread a couple years back. Gosh, our search engine sucks.

I played through Ghost Pilots last night for possibly the first time. Although, I probably played it years ago and forgot about it. I was surprised by how long it was, as it took me over an hour to finish. It's not a particularly innovative shooter, but it does what it does well. There are lots of swarming planes and homing missiles coming at you throughout the levels which forces you to keep your head on a swivel. You can't just cruise around in spite of the slow pace due to the sheer amount of crap they throw at you. And some of the bosses were pretty good, not crazy memorable, but fun and with multiple levels or tiers that you have to chip away at which I liked.
Not a great game or anything, but a solid old school shooter that I enjoyed, and will probably revisit down the road.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I don't get the Ghost Pilots hate. It's a solid game that plays very well, has good graphics and sound and is always good for a round or two. I played it tons back in the day on NGCD and still do every now and then. Went to 1cc it but never made it so far and prolly never will because it becomes really challenging in later levels. It's totally doable and worth it if you're not jaded, tho.

Technically, the game has lots of Neo elements like nice parallax scrolling, scaling, big explosions, in-yer-face sound fx, you'd be hard-pressed to port it to another 16bit system of that era without cutting lotsa corners. Looks innocent but there's more to it than it may seem at the first glance.

On the downside, enemy sprites and bosses aren't very elaborate, there's nothing really super outstanding here, maybe that's why ppl shun it.

Still a more than decent Neo game that does not at all deserve the bad rep it has. In some ways it's the World Heroes of Neo shmups, underrated, overlooked but very playable (and likeable) nonetheless.

Johnny16Bit

Camel Slug
I did credit feed-beat it once just to see how much of a challenge it would be to score / 1CC (= ridiculous).

I quite agree with Tak, it's not horrible. The game does suffer from its unbearable length - it was part of that whole memory card experiment I guess, like super spy or crossed swords. It's also quite tedious when you realise you're spending so much of your time just doing the wiper, going left and right all the time.

It looks and sounds great, and is good for short sessions, so definitely fine for a game at the arcade at the time I guess; not so much at a home game. I think it falls short of being real good because of small details, but it's certainly not a disaster.

KGRAMR

Another Striker
Found a post I made about it in the shooter thread a couple years back. Gosh, our search engine sucks.

I played through Ghost Pilots last night for possibly the first time. Although, I probably played it years ago and forgot about it. I was surprised by how long it was, as it took me over an hour to finish. It's not a particularly innovative shooter, but it does what it does well. There are lots of swarming planes and homing missiles coming at you throughout the levels which forces you to keep your head on a swivel. You can't just cruise around in spite of the slow pace due to the sheer amount of crap they throw at you. And some of the bosses were pretty good, not crazy memorable, but fun and with multiple levels or tiers that you have to chip away at which I liked.
Not a great game or anything, but a solid old school shooter that I enjoyed, and will probably revisit down the road.
So, there is another arcade shooter that is about one hour long as Truxton II/Tatsujin Oh. Personally, i haven't played too much Ghost Pilots but i'll try getting a 1CC on it in the future....

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I feel like Ghost Pilots is one of those misunderstood games that will click once you start playing it properly (no credit feeding) since there doesn't seem to be anything technically wrong with it... but it's too fucking long so I'll never find out
The planes can't move fast enough, and there are no speed upgrades.

Yes, I've played through Ghost Pilots. With only one credit I can't get very far using a turbo controller.

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
I think there's a rapid fire cheat/hack available in mame. That's worth using if you play these days.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The planes can't move fast enough, and there are no speed upgrades.

Yes, I've played through Ghost Pilots. With only one credit I can't get very far using a turbo controller.
Yeah the plane speed is a joke and the physics are wonky. The plane moves at a different speed depending on whether you are travelling diagonally or not.

Without autofire it's pretty much impossible to recover if you die after a certain point. An unassisted/stock 1cc may be technically doable but good luck with that.