holy shit how good was the soundtrack for soul blade/edge (psx)??

fmdof

Morden's Lackey
Sony-PSX.jpg

i never thought this got released let alone had games.

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
Sony-PSX.jpg

i never thought this got released let alone had games.
it bears mentioning that until the PSX was a real product, the original Playstation was referred to as the PSX.

edit: also, the PSX was released. and it had games because it played Playstation 1 and 2 games.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
it bears mentioning that until the PSX was a real product, the original Playstation was referred to as the PSX.

edit: also, the PSX was released. and it had games because it played Playstation 1 and 2 games.

mushiki had one :buttrock:

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Yeah, I played that game to death as well. What was great was that it had the original arcade music, remixed arcade music, and an original track for each stage. Amazing value.

Now, they'll charge you extra for that shit.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
the Soul Edge intro song is simply divine and nothing less. God himself produced that track.

2Heed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member
Where the fuck is Cervantes' Bravely Folk Song?

That's the most memorable song title ever. I don't see how "bravely" hasn't caught on with gamer geeks like "spoony" has.

I think the production quality (music, atmosphere, character design, story, narration...actually, everything aside from graphics) in the Soul Edge/Calibur series has gone steadily downhill lately, although IV was a step in the right direction with Hilde, who is definitely one of the stronger designs and fits the series like a glove. The original Soul Edge/Blade has aged extremely well given how early into the grand scheme of 3D fighters it was introduced in. The quality still shines through and looks quite good for an earlier polygon title. I think Namco really needs to give the series a serious break for a while and come back to it with some fresh ideas, a refurbished roster (INCLUDING LI AND HWANG DAMMIT), and get rid of the silly fantasy characters/settings (a little mythology/fantasy ala Sophitia/Cassandra is OK in small doses, but I could really do without Astaroth, Lizardman, Necrid, and to a lesser extent Yoshimitsu).

ferrarimanf355

Bullets QB
That's the most memorable song title ever. I don't see how "bravely" hasn't caught on with gamer geeks like "spoony" has.

I think the production quality (music, atmosphere, character design, story, narration...actually, everything aside from graphics) in the Soul Edge/Calibur series has gone steadily downhill lately, although IV was a step in the right direction with Hilde, who is definitely one of the stronger designs and fits the series like a glove. The original Soul Edge/Blade has aged extremely well given how early into the grand scheme of 3D fighters it was introduced in. The quality still shines through and looks quite good for an earlier polygon title. I think Namco really needs to give the series a serious break for a while and come back to it with some fresh ideas, a refurbished roster (INCLUDING LI AND HWANG DAMMIT), and get rid of the silly fantasy characters/settings (a little mythology/fantasy ala Sophitia/Cassandra is OK in small doses, but I could really do without Astaroth, Lizardman, Necrid, and to a lesser extent Yoshimitsu).

I think that despite some implications that IV was to be the end, Soulcalibur V will happen. It just prints money.

That being said, I really didn't care for IV. It just wasn't that much fun.

BTW, for those that care, the SB soundtrack is on iTunes. I have it.

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
Namco is still around, and like Sega, they own various business's in japan.

They also merged with Bandai, so they are somewhat of a conglomerate now.

Probably lost their focus after all the merging and diverse holdings. But I am sure they could probably still make a great soundtrack.

2Heed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member
Actually, now that I think of it, was the arranged version of the Soul Blade/Edge soundtrack ever released on CD? I have the original and Khan versions, but never did find out. It's a shame, as all 3 are outstanding.

And although this is somewhat off-topic, it's fun to play as Seigfried when he was all nutty cuckoo.

Oh, and ferrariman, I have no doubt that there will be a Soul Calibur V, and have no problem with it if there is. I think II-IV have been unremarkable outside of character creation, and hope the series ends (if it ever does) on a high note.

Last edited:

Buro Destruct

Namco is still around, and like Sega, they own various business's in japan.

They also merged with Bandai, so they are somewhat of a conglomerate now.

Probably lost their focus after all the merging and diverse holdings. But I am sure they could probably still make a great soundtrack.
hey thanks the history lesson in "obvious facts anyone can glean from having a modicum of attention", professor.

i was referring more to what happened to namco as a creative developer? their games of the late PSX-early PS2 era are some of the best packages of visual and audio aesthetics in gaming history.

@genji - tekken 5 is solid, tekken 6 is pretty mediocre except for a few stand-out tracks. as a whole soundtracks to namco games have gone down in quality since the PS2.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Namco Sampling Masters FOR LIFE!

hey thanks the history lesson in "obvious facts anyone can glean from having a modicum of attention", professor.

i was referring more to what happened to namco as a creative developer? their games of the late PSX-early PS2 era are some of the best packages of visual and audio aesthetics in gaming history.

@genji - tekken 5 is solid, tekken 6 is pretty mediocre except for a few stand-out tracks. as a whole soundtracks to namco games have gone down in quality since the PS2.

I'd contend it really began with the soundtracks to Ridge Racer and T1. Both games had really good music and that tradition just kept on rolling for a long, long time. I still have RRR, Rage Racer, and T3 on my iPod ready to go at a moment's notice.

I'm sure like any good dev, the talent involved just got bored or moved along to other jobs. But yes, they definitely had something special dialed early on in the 32-bit era that hung around for a while.

I think the soundtrack to Soul Calibur is pretty fucking impressive, and smokes the rest of the SC games by a mile. (I actually don't include Soul Edge/Blade in that, since I was so much of a Tekken whore at the time that I didn't even play the PS1 title.)

:emb:

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
This was the first game I got when I got a Playstation and is still one of my favorites. The music was and still is top-notch, which the rest of the series can't match up to.

One that hasn't been posted: Continental Gale (Rock). One of my favorite stages in the game, if only to watch punks that get tossed out of the ring fall a long distance to the ground.

SPINMASTER X said:
the Soul Edge intro song is simply divine and nothing less. God himself produced that track.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Last edited:

Buro Destruct

I'm sure like any good dev, the talent involved just got bored or moved along to other jobs. But yes, they definitely had something special dialed early on in the 32-bit era that hung around for a while.
i did some research into this the other day and found that essentially the two longest running composers for namco are hiroshi okubo and nobuyoshi sano (who supposedly works at cavia now, but as far as i can tell he's just freelancing). interestingly enough, sano (who is typically credited sanodg for namco releases) and okubo are responsible for every single one of my favorite ridge racer tracks.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
i did some research into this the other day and found that essentially the two longest running composers for namco are hiroshi okubo and nobuyoshi sano (who supposedly works at cavia now, but as far as i can tell he's just freelancing). interestingly enough, sano (who is typically credited sanodg for namco releases) and okubo are responsible for every single one of my favorite ridge racer tracks.

Did either one of them compose Bassrider for the PSP Ridge Racers? Love that track.

Buro Destruct

Did either one of them compose Bassrider for the PSP Ridge Racers? Love that track.
hiroshi okubo did.

as well as disco ball which was my favorite from that game.

i could talk about this series' musical legacy til i'm blue in the face.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The intro still kicks ass. When Soulcaibur for teh DC came out I was not happy with the intro but SCIII and SCIV fixed that.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
dkid usually writes interesting blurbs on the Namco/Capcom music he posts on youtube.

Buro Destruct

Ha! That is also my favorite track in that game. I thought I was alone on this one.
its frenetic nature cannot be denied. objectively its repetitive and garish as hell on the ears but it gets my toes tapping almost immediately. i like the weird aggressive disco motif it has with the solid 4/4 beat and the violin stabs it uses latter half of the track.

rage racer is a game i never got into. i just didn't like the harder rock style the game had with the music. somehow that style bled into almost every facet of the game for me (also the 'rage' part helps). solid soundtrack though.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I LOVE the intro of Soul Blade as well. It was so amazing, I let the intro/demo run for hours way back when. Nothing ever top that.