Horrible MAMEcabs

JazzyNYC

Kabuki Klasher
Dude.... it's a test setup... meant for testing out parts and fixing boards.... it's not going have a big, functional cp layout right in the middle of the bench where they are working.

Yeah but the monitor should AT LEAST be near the CP to avoid breaking your neck trying to look at the damn thing....

and maybe since it is a TEST bench, how about putting at least 6 buttons in order to accommodate any PCB's that use them. Whats the point of a test rig when you cant actually TEST everything?

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Yeah but the monitor should AT LEAST be near the CP to avoid breaking your neck trying to look at the damn thing....

and maybe since it is a TEST bench, how about putting at least 6 buttons in order to accommodate any PCB's that use them. Whats the point of a test rig when you cant actually TEST everything?

Correct me if i'm wrong but it looks like there are 2 joystick ports above the build in one.I do agree that the build in one is very displaced.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert

Depends what he/she was working with really. Who knows... maybe they only serviced older games that were 2 button setups? If you had an arcade or home setup that you only had old games or specific game layouts, what would be the point of going through the expense and time of setting up stuff you won't ever use when working on your repairs? Would you then expect him/her to have a driving wheel, rotary stick, and gun setup as well? Maybe there is more not in the photo to accomadate different layouts.... maybe those pinouts above the stick you see are kick harness pinouts. Either way, as long as it works for them... it's not like you sit for hours to play a board you are in the middle of repairing.

Just saying... everyone sets up their work areas different... hell if mine was that clean i'd be happy for sure!

TheGreenMachine

Geese's Thug
Here some I've encountered at the annual Timonium arcade auctions here in MD.

This is a multicade setup which may/may nto have been a bootleg. But all the same it conveys the same sort of dread horror as most MAME conversions. If I had to describe it in one word it would be OMFGitsfrigginghuge:

This next one was especially awful. It had a 'fire photon torpedos' button but look as we might at the myriad of buttons we could not find the 'initate self destruct' button.

- TGM

payment_due

Arcade Trading Room Troll? Well its about damn t
YOu're most likely right. At the last auction I attended, there was a 6 player Xmen cab, I dont know if it was working but afterward I heard it only sold for $15. FIFTEEN bucks, lol.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
that looks like an XMen cab. Weird.
Looks like one? IT WAS ONE!!! Way to ruin a cabinet like that. If you can't utilize the dual monitor system, the least you can do is put a wide-screen LCD in it and make it look decent...well, more decent anyhoo :oh_no:

JazzyNYC

Kabuki Klasher
mame1.jpg

mame2.jpg

taken from a craigslist posting in Austin

payment_due

Arcade Trading Room Troll? Well its about damn t
lol i remember that one. I honestly can't tell if it's a joke video or if the guy is actually proud of it.

TheGreenMachine

Geese's Thug
lol i remember that one. I honestly can't tell if it's a joke video or if the guy is actually proud of it.

Not sure, from the way the guy talks it seems like he was proud.

No matter how much of an affront to all reason and good taste somethings are, you can bet somewhere some stupid fucker is proud of it. And it generally ends up on ebay.

We need a non MAME horrible conversion thread. You know because nothing ruins a great cabinet and a sweet kit like a horrible conversion.

- TGM

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The best part about those quasimoto cabs is that they are suppossed to be professionally done. I mean someone actually designed that to become their flagship CP for their cabs.

For some reason MAME lovers have next to no class whatsoever, why is that? I"ve seen 1 or maybe 2 MAME cabs that are actually pretty slick, but that's 2 out of thousands!

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
I actually saw 2 mames that looked allright,one was a streetfighter themed up right cab,build from scratch.
The other was a coffeetable that has the CP hidden in the side panel and when you switch it off it's just a table with a black glass plate
DSC00288.jpg

DSC00284.jpg

DSC00282.jpg

alphagamer

Aero Fighters Flyboy
The other was a coffeetable that has the CP hidden in the side panel and when you switch it off it's just a table with a black glass plate

that one is awesome! do you know more about it? where did you see it? are there more pics of it?

thanks!

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
I saw it at the insert coin event in Northampton,UK.
It was hand build and the guy said there were several options of woods possible.
Good thing i still had the business card i picked up from that table,wich had a nice flatpanel screen and amazing soundsystem.It was quite expensive,well not if you saw what was in it.It contained a brandnew mame pc and a ridiculous soundsystem.
SURFACE TENSION ARCADE TABLES
http://www.surface-tension.net/
The one in the pic i posted was around GBP 3500,-

MoriyaMinakata

Stakes Winner 2
15 Year Member
I actually saw 2 mames that looked allright,one was a streetfighter themed up right cab,build from scratch.
DSC00288.jpg

I think I would like this one better if it was a cocktail setup instead of both players on 1 side.

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey
(note to self when/why did i ever think using a xarcade on a real arcade cab was a good idea lol)

:-) I used an X-arcade panel for my mame cab. The reason I used it was it was just about exactly what I drew up to put in the cab! My mame cab is a 1982 Burgertime that had been converted countless times over the years. I had 2 blank X-arcade panels laying there so I used one and custom fit it. I used all Happ parts (I love Happ controls) and an overlay from mamemarquees.com It looks nice.

I'll post a picture of it later. Hopefully it doesnt end up on the horrible mamecabs list!

Ok here it is:

I ran out of money for the project, but someday I'll add some side art to go along with the Joust Knights. I was thinking a round Mame symbol.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Are you posting the photos 'cause you know the cab is horrible?

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey
Are you posting the photos 'cause you know the cab is horrible?

Nope, mostly to show discgolfer72 that the xarcade design layout isnt all that bad. And can be worked into a cab although about all I use from it was the shell and interface board.

That cab is actualy very nice, its a wierd style cab, but it looks and works nice. The pics dont do it justice.