How Do You Pay For The Hobby?

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
The real answer is you already bought this shit years ago when the second hand market was affordable. Fuck paying the current asking prices for most retro game stuff. Even if you're a baller and spending a G a month on games you're a fucking idiot. I've bought about 6 games this year and spent maybe $200 and still felt ass raped.

There it is.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Having a very small list of reasonable wants.

Last edited:

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
Back in 08-09' when people were liquidating their collections to pay for mortgages, that's when all the good deals were to be had. When I bought my cab, it came with 14 mvs carts.

terry.330's post above said it all. I've been saying for at least 5+ years that it doesn't make sense to even bother getting into AES given the prices and the fakes. That is starting to be true for MVS now as well as for many other systems.

As for good deals "back in the day", man, I don't know how many people here remember cosmicco and "Queenie". She would send inventory lists in the late 90s and early 2000s with, I don't know, 32 copies of Pulstar MVS for $26 each. She had everything and EVERYTHING was cheap (except for new games). Then you had Shinichirou, who sold BTG Jpn AES for $200 all day long. Anyone else remember SNK USA blowing out their last remaining stock of Metal Slug X US AES for $199 and Last Blade 1 for $149? Hard to believe, but its true, and most of the stock sat there forever.

When you remember things like that it makes it impossible to pay today's rates for anything. Which means you probably won't be adding much to your collection, hopefully you got the big stuff out of the way already :)

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Good post jt.

Thats why i have a hard time paying over the odds for any of this old stuff. On the other hand i dont mind paying big dollars for newly developed neo games because i can still see the value in something that was developed today and it means new games will continue to be developed because they are making a profit.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
I remember when i first started looking for gaymes you could get stacks of jap MVS carts for a steal - lots of 10-20. Sometimes there would be dupes and junk, but when you're paying like $8-$15 a cart, fuggg it.

I never thought MVS carts would turn into a shitfest, Kit-Fever specifically, dat cardboard box and paper LOL Fucking seriously dudes.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Repair Arcade and Pinball on the side as well as automated controls via radio.

Terry & JT hit the nail on the head. I will add that when a good deal comes around the flippers go nuts. Kills the whole point of this community.

For example: Galuda II Full kit even off an ass like STV $530

Why is there a bare PCB for sale on here for $500, when it should be around $350ish?

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
Some of the responses in this thread. :lolz:

I only buy what I can afford and I remind myself that I have a backlog of games, so I really should not be buying more.

Zapperkhan

Kula's Candy
Solidly middle class with no college loans and gaming is my main hobby. Got a sweet deal on rent with a friend who bought a house, and hasn't raised rent in 6 years (flat rate plus a share of utilities). Still have enough leftovers for retirement contributions.

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
I think it's all about budgeting. I save up a bunch of 'extra money' over time, and then I spent it in a spree. I have a regular job. My other hobbies are dj'ing and vinyl collecting.

I know dudes who ruined their lives with the hobby. Like taking 2 mortgages to buy new pinball machines (those super expensive 8k stern machines and shit).

I just don't understand.

Zapperkhan

Kula's Candy
I think it's all about budgeting. I save up a bunch of 'extra money' over time, and then I spent it in a spree.
Pretty much this, my bank account hits a certain point and I treat myself. Between my Roth IRA and 401k at work, retirement savings is a breeze. I just make sure I have my safety net of cash in my bank account.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Unintentionally having 'expensive taste' is annoying tbh.

I sort of envy those who dismiss older gaming enjoyment in favour of spending all their time and money on the latest COD, HALO or Elder Scrolls etc. Much cheaper vs hours of entertainment in the long run.

Personally, I still have a (frankly) horrible hit list of Home Carts I'd love to own and play.

I'd "go MVS!", but can't help feeling the influx and popularity of market ready CMVSs has, already, laid waste to that market...

Moria/the man

New Challenger
Work Over Time.
Make sure to get the games you really want if you can't afford much. I would take the MVS rout if I were you. I just made that switch myself.

FreedomGundam

New Challenger
Both my wife and myself work at pretty-decently-paid positions (she's an accountant, I'm an engineer), so no real stress for normal day-to-day stuff, and we can afford to spend on things we like.

Though I'm one of those guys with too many damn hobbies: I collect toys (robots, Transformers, action figures, etc), build and paint models kits (Gundam and the like), modern video games, building and modding arcade sticks, and now arcade gear (CPS2/CPS3/Naomi, and will be getting my MV-1FZ soon).
I've only been into arcade stuff in the past 6-7 months, and coincidentally, my interest or dedication to the toys and models has been waning for the past while. So I've been selling a good chunk of my other hobby stuff (still keeping a lot of the high-end stuff, though) to fund the arcade stuff. Plus, I do the random odd arcade stick mod for locals here for some pocket money that usually goes back towards the hobbies.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
terry.330's post above said it all. I've been saying for at least 5+ years that it doesn't make sense to even bother getting into AES given the prices and the fakes. That is starting to be true for MVS now as well as for many other systems.

As for good deals "back in the day", man, I don't know how many people here remember cosmicco and "Queenie". She would send inventory lists in the late 90s and early 2000s with, I don't know, 32 copies of Pulstar MVS for $26 each. She had everything and EVERYTHING was cheap (except for new games). Then you had Shinichirou, who sold BTG Jpn AES for $200 all day long. Anyone else remember SNK USA blowing out their last remaining stock of Metal Slug X US AES for $199 and Last Blade 1 for $149? Hard to believe, but its true, and most of the stock sat there forever.

When you remember things like that it makes it impossible to pay today's rates for anything. Which means you probably won't be adding much to your collection, hopefully you got the big stuff out of the way already :)

No, I meant buying mvs lots for cheap and sell off any duplicates. Sometimes selling a few higher priced dupes will pay for the whole lot.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
For me it's just about being patient and shopping around. If I don't get satisfactory offers, I haggle. If I don't get a result from haggling, I move on.

KalessinDB

Mr. Big's Thug
Most of what Zapperkhan said is my answer. Middle class, decent job, no college loans left, I have money going into the 401k and I have a pension (yay government work). No kids, not married, own my house. So my big hobby is gaming - mostly home consoles, only dipping my toes into arcade collecting now. I have everything I truly WANT-want from a couple years back when it wasn't nearly as expensive (I've been cleaning old price labels off my games, just can't bring myself to take the $4.99 one off Demon's Crest!), now it's just "Ooh that looks neat. Do I have the money this month?"

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
I'd "go MVS!", but can't help feeling the influx and popularity of market ready CMVSs has, already, laid waste to that market...

CMVS have definitely upped the price on some MVS carts.

Bargains are still to be had if you're willing to buy in bulk and sell off the swaps. A lot of my collection was bought this way and I got tons of games cheap this way.

Most of my retro games were bought in 1999 to 2003 when the prices were a lot cheaper.

If you generally just want to play the game, just buy the cart only (MVS, SFC, SNES, Mega Drive, Genesis etc) - much much cheaper.

Generally, if a game is too expensive these days, I do without (e.g. SSV Special MVS)

jdotaku

Angel's Love Slave
I've not really been gaming for a few years now little to no money spent in like idk 3 years. The urge is still there though lol. Pricing is one issue. Another is priorities what with school, work, family life, dating and I like to do other things as well anyway last time I was doing this gaming hobby justice I was of course working a 9-5 and also selling games when done or flipping valuable games for profit.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
I've only purchased a couple of games this entire year...both for the Neo. 10 to 7 years ago I was buying Neo games like a madman. I was collecting AES, MVS and Neo CD titles. Needless to say I made several purchases per month. I'm no longer in a buying mode; I rarely ever play games these days. Maybe it's a lack of time or just getting older. So this hobby has zero impact on me financially; however, in retrospect I never felt like it was driving me into the poorhouse.