How long will this amiibo craze last?

thatdemoguy

Guerilla Warrior,
Nintendo has it all wrong with how they do shipments anyhow, no one wants Peach, Mario, and the other ones that are WAY OVERSTOCKED. Most people want their niche character that probably hasn't had a figure at all. Look at Captain Falcon or Little Mac for example.

THIS!!!!

The commonplace characters will ALWAYS be there and wont have a problem selling. But when all your "restock" shipments are the same 6 characters which already fill the pegs, then theres a problem. I shouldnt be able to walk into a store and have my pick of 25 different Mario amiibo, but not be able to find a single Marth, Wii Fit Trainer, or Villager. And its not that there arent more coming into the stores, because im very friendly with all my local retailers who keep me informed of new shipments, its that every shipment is just more of the same crap that everybody already has.

This issue, along with the scalpers who shill bid on their own auctions to try and keep the price high, are really starting to piss me off. And im seriously considering just saying forget it.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
It is pretty ironic that the "main" characters like Mario and Link aren't the ones people want. Everyone wants the niche ones.

thatdemoguy

Guerilla Warrior,
Its not that literally nobody wants the main characters, its just that they are so abundant that getting them was no issue.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Nintendo has it all wrong with how they do shipments anyhow, no one wants Peach, Mario, and the other ones that are WAY OVERSTOCKED. Most people want their niche character that probably hasn't had a figure at all. Look at Captain Falcon or Little Mac for example.

Pretty much this. They use they just ship them in cases and they have the more "popular" figures more times over in the shipments then the niche characters which everybody would rather have. We've gotten toys of the Mario, Metroid, Zelda and Pokemon toys already. You see them everywhere. Even at Nintendo World the only three they had where Samus, Link and Zelda. You look in the store and they have other toys with them already on it, but where's the Fire Emblem toys? F-Zero characters? One big reason for me pre-ordering Mega Man was so it could go on the shelf with the other Mega Man toys I have. I rarely use him in the game but I love the way he looks. Meanwhile I do use Shulk a lot in the game and seeing how he was a GameStop exclusive pushed me over the edge so I got him when I pre-ordered Mega Man.

That's what makes me so worried about when Ness pre-orders open. People are going to go apeshit to try to get him, myself included. I've got to get at least two of him because for the reason that we never got any toys related to Earthbound in the US, while Japan's got tons of stuff. (I was VERY tempted in getting the new mini-figures that came out a few months ago in Japan for Mother 2 but decided not too) I hope they'll see that packing who they think is the more popular characters won't work.

It's kinda like in the 90's when they had toys based off Batman: The Animated Series. EVERYBODY wanted a Harley Quinn figure and they never made her until a few years into the run of the toys. When they finally did she was "short boxed" which meant for every five "Arctic Armor Batman" figures that came in the case of toys there might be two Harley Quinn's which is why, to this day I never got her and she's one of the more expensive ones out there.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
You guys and your little figurines.

Kinda like a slightly less creepy Master Tasuke.

:keke:

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
I just bought Smash Brothers and got a few of these thinking that it wouldn't be a full experience without them. Can I be the millionth person to say that I really hope they come up with some better uses for them in-game? It's mildly amusing to have a match of all amiibos and tinker with them to see which ones do the best, but they could be so much more.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I just bought Smash Brothers and got a few of these thinking that it wouldn't be a full experience without them. Can I be the millionth person to say that I really hope they come up with some better uses for them in-game? It's mildly amusing to have a match of all amiibos and tinker with them to see which ones do the best, but they could be so much more.

Don't they really do something cool for Hyrule Warriors? I haven't messed with it yet.

thatdemoguy

Guerilla Warrior,
Don't they really do something cool for Hyrule Warriors? I haven't messed with it yet.

Nope. The Link amiibo unlocks the spinner weapon in game. And a few others unlock one special open once a day in game. Nothing really amazing.

In Mario Kart 8, quite a few of them unlock themed outfits for your mii racers in game.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Nope. The Link amiibo unlocks the spinner weapon in game. And a few others unlock one special open once a day in game. Nothing really amazing.

In Mario Kart 8, quite a few of them unlock themed outfits for your mii racers in game.

Yea, I got that in MK8.
At least the characters look good on a shelf. Who knows what future games will bring.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I'm surprised that nobody has started bootlegging these things yet.

Ironman

n00b
So there is a Mario Party 10 edition that comes with a Mario amiibo. Does anyone know if this is a different figure than the sand alone Mario amiibo?

thatdemoguy

Guerilla Warrior,
So there is a Mario Party 10 edition that comes with a Mario amiibo. Does anyone know if this is a different figure than the sand alone Mario amiibo?

In function it is the EXACT same thing. But it is in a different pose.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I had to google what these things were as the 8 page thread piqued my interest.

Have you guys got hair on your cocks yet?

Last edited:

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
The other day went to a store and saw some "Mario World Edition", then when I got home I checked and wtf they're on March schedule, I felt tempted to drive back and buy them just for the weird early release.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Just grabbed Zelda from my local TRU...her amiibo is done pretty well. Goes well with Link.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't like the Mario Party ones at all....the poses or the artwork. I may pick up the Toad one because I love Treasure Tracker, but that will probably be it from that series...

Last edited:

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
^ I agree with you about the Zelda amiibo, it looks very nice in both pose and detail. I am probably going to end up getting some of the Mario Party ones to use exclusively with that game since the amiibo can't hold multiple saves. Sucks about that but since the MP ones look so different it'll be easier to keep them aside and avoid confusion at game time as Mario Party has been very popular at my house going back to the beginning.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
amiibo.jpg

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
LOL the guy has at least ten copies, maybe whole boxes of that.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
LOL the guy has at least ten copies, maybe whole boxes of that.

Further proving it isn't rare, but they are making it rare by buying so many of them.

Nintendo really needs to get their heads out of their asses.