Hyper 64 any good???

arcadematt

Quiz Detective
Hi Im a huge MVS and SNK fan, but have very little knowledge of the Hyper 64. I have read reviews and i am getting mixed opinions about It. It seems that only Buriki One is getting any positive reviews. I would like to know how fellow neo geo fans rate It or If any of you own any hardware/games.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I've always been interested in it, but not enough to own one, even at the low prices on ebay right now, christ I mean you get get a brand new one with buriki for about £25 posted.

Personally I'd only want SS64 and SS warriors rage, the rest .. meh

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I've played a little of each game and they are all fun. But my favorite of the 4 games was Fatal Fury, and even though the PS1 port isn't perfect, it's good enough.

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
For the price you can get one now you'd be a fool not to pick one up, Fatal Fury Wild Ambition, Buriki One & Samurai Shodown 64 2 Warriors Rage are all worth playing.

I've had mine since 2001 and still boot up SS64 frequently, just has so much too it thats worth seeing!

Also the 2D on SS64 is just to die for!

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
I've got one with Samurai Shodown Warriors Rage, Fatal Fury Wild Ambition, and Buriki One. Unfortunately the Fatal Fury had some issues, and Buriki One flat out doesn't work, but I've played Terry330's copy of Buriki.

Buriki's probably the game that takes the most time to enjoy, and is pretty good. I personally like Fatal Fury Wild Ambition the best; it feels like the quickest and generally has the tightest gameplay of the 3 games I've played. Samurai Shodown Warriors Rage is good, but I think that it isn't as faithful a follow-up to the Samurai Shodown series as FF:WA is to Fatal Fury.

Anyhow, I'd definitely recommend picking one up at the current price.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Hells yes it's worth picking up. You can get a whole batch of the fighting games and a MOBO for a good price (I did just this week.) Fatal Fury is great, in fact (other than MOTW), it might turn into my favorite. The game was meant for side stepping, what with the whole 2 levels thing they always did. Buriki One feels like I will get addicted to it once I keep it in there and the 2 SS 64 games are solid. the graphics are blocky, but most anything from 32-64 bit is.

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
I had a Hyper setup back when I had my cab. I really liked Wild Ambition and SamSho 64. I remember them being on the slugish side in terms of gameplay but somehow they were both still fun to play. Buriki was a total blast to play, especially when my friends came over. The controls were so different but once you adjusted it was super addictive.

My friends used to beat the hell out of my cab when they played Buriki. :oh_no:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Like others have said Buriki is the best of the system. If you are in the UK you should pick one up as they are dirt cheap on ebay uk posted.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Wild Ambition is the best game out of the 4, the system is fluid and the gameplay is rock solid. All 4 games are excellent, they have plenty of nice little details to appreciate. I like how FFWA feels like a Real Bout on steroids 'cause the combos can be directed to 3 levels on the fly unlike the regular RB series where your combo is either high or low and it is dictated by how you start that combo, unlike FFWA where freedom reings supreme.

The Hyper64 system is well worth getting, not 'cause is a 3D powerhouse by any means, but beacuse the games are pretty nice and the build on this system is pretty cool. The kits are impressive and at the rate they are going now is almost ungorgivable not to pick up one. I bought mine like 5 years ago from ckchan, he's the best when it comes to this stuff, I bought everything 4 games and mobo rev 2 brand spanking new and I paid way more than the going rate but I don't regret it at all.

Get one now, as cheap as it is it would be a crime not to at least try it for size.

P00t

Fuck eBay & PayPal,
Just buy one, jesus, they're as cheap as a Happy Meal and Electricgrave handjob.

ISODee

Armored Scrum Object
I like the hyper version of SS and Buriki/Fatal are decent.

Azuos

n00b
I haven't played the Hyper, but I did play the Playstation's version of Fatal Fury and the playstation sequel of SS64, Samurai Shodown Warrior's Rage. All I can say is that they are awesome!!

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I have all the games too. Fatal Fury is great, and Buriki is possibly the most unique and interesting game SNK ever made. The Samurai games are both respectable and have a classic aesthetic that takes me back.

They are cheap, but keep in mind the main thing you will probably pay for is shipping.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Buriki - Unique game. Worth playing and appreciating. You can't play it anywhere else.

SamSho 64 - I love the use of 3D as space and not just graphics. The fights cover a good amount of ground and angles. In terms of a 3D fighter it was ahead of its time.

SamSho 64 II - The atmosphere is top notch.

Wild Ambition - I didn't care for it, except for Joe Higashi's stage. There's a little bit of fan service with costumes and such... perhaps that was PSX version only. I don't recall. The PSX version had the nice Intro Movie, anyway.

Overall, I'd say "appreciation" is the feeling I have for the system.

rugal2000

, Troll Me, , Cuz I is 3lit3, ,
Buriki one was a flamboyant last effort from snk.
Vectorlogic had like 1000's of these. Most of the cheap ass stuff u see on ebay in the UK originates from them.
They were making a game called "neo sparks" at one time.

Bay78

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
I heard its not a good investment. No selection of games and etc. But.... its relatively cheap

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I heard its not a good investment. No selection of games and etc. But.... its relatively cheap

Then you heard wrong dude. I love my Hyper and well worth what I spent. Experiencing Buriki and Sam Sho on a 64 bit system is tops.

loegan43

I've served my time in the Dark Army., Have you?,
15 Year Member
Then you heard wrong dude. I love my Hyper and well worth what I spent. Experiencing Buriki and Sam Sho on a 64 bit system is tops.

Buriki is an awesome game, way ahead of its time. I've been playing it for a little while now and gotta say it's a very well put together game. Better than any MMA game I've played 'cept for unidisputed. The Hyper is well worth it for Buriki alone.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I've always wanted to get one just for Buriki One.

Question:

Since this was an arcade machine, do you have to purchase one with a cabinet or are there easy 'home rig' setups where you can hook it up to your TV and play with some kind of fighting sticks?

I'm seriously considering getting this right now. Buriki One and Fatal Fury (even though I have the PS port) all look rather enticing. Buriki One is the only missing part to my 'Southtown game' archive (for Ryo Sakazaki), and I'd certainly pick up the two SamShos and FFWA. I mean, if I'm going to go balls deep on the system anyway, why not get the games that came out for it? I'm pretty sure at this point SNK-P will likely never release any more home console ports of these OLD games anyway. Although I'd snag 'em on PSN or XBL if they ever became available.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I've always wanted to get one just for Buriki One.

Question:

Since this was an arcade machine, do you have to purchase one with a cabinet or are there easy 'home rig' setups where you can hook it up to your TV and play with some kind of fighting sticks?

I'm seriously considering getting this right now. Buriki One and Fatal Fury (even though I have the PS port) all look rather enticing. Buriki One is the only missing part to my 'Southtown game' archive (for Ryo Sakazaki), and I'd certainly pick up the two SamShos and FFWA. I mean, if I'm going to go balls deep on the system anyway, why not get the games that came out for it? I'm pretty sure at this point SNK-P will likely never release any more home console ports of these OLD games anyway. Although I'd snag 'em on PSN or XBL if they ever became available.

You need a supergun to play it if you don't have a cab. Dean is back so I wonder if he will offer the service again.