ID's Rage (9.13.11)

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
81/100 over at metacritic as of this post. A good number of the reviews question the lack of multiplayer deathmatch. With the biggest gripe of Rage being a ho-hum story with an anticlimatic endgame. So Rage sounds like a pretty yet shallow FPS with a lite hoarding hook.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
81/100 over at metacritic as of this post. A good number of the reviews question the lack of multiplayer deathmatch. With the biggest gripe of Rage being a ho-hum story with an anticlimatic endgame. So Rage sounds like a pretty yet shallow FPS with a lite hoarding hook.

And thank goodness for that. Games today focus too much on the market demand for this. Design theory becomes 'we have to make the multi work' and too many games end up suffering in other important areas as a result.

I decided to wait on Rage for now. Looking at my list, there are just too many games I'm excited about trying/revisiting and I just won't be able to make time for Rage. Maybe someday.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I'm going to pick this up on Thursday and give it a whirl, I have some coupons for best buy.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
c8wzO.jpg

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
I've been playing the PS3 version a bit today, and so far I think it's a lot of fun. The graphics are pretty amazing, and I like the general vibe of the game.

id is good at making games where it's just plain fun to shoot guys, and so far this is no exception. That said, I'm only about a half hour in.

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member
Played for a bit on the 360.
-Graphics are very nice as are the facial expressions and voice acting.
-Story is run of the mill post-apocalyptic tried and true. Loved the asteroid part.
-Seems to me like a prettier Borderlands without the co-op campaign mode.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I really want to play this one out of curiosity, but I get the feeling this will be one of those games that go down in price quickly...hmm. Did anyone see anything about approx. play time for the story?

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
10~12 (probably more depending on difficulty level and your play style).

HeartlessNinny

I really want to play this one out of curiosity, but I get the feeling this will be one of those games that go down in price quickly...hmm. Did anyone see anything about approx. play time for the story?

If you're lukewarm, I'd say wait. I think you're probably right when you say that this one will get cheaper.

I'd be surprised if it was more than $30 come January.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Gamespot said it could take 20 if you completed all the missions including racing.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Thanks guys, I think I just needed to hear it from others. I'll wait it out for Batman:AC instead.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
this game just came out the other day for the PC and i made the mistake of ordering it off of Steam rather then just picking up a copy in the store... the install files are over 20GB... jesus this is going to take forever.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
Yo Magician, pry your ass from the couch and give us a breakdown of how you like the game so far. If ya could, thanks, I know you will have some good info to share.:D

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
Hmmm....it really does look like shit on the pc.

Just downloaded a copy...my god the pop in....MEIN EYES.

Playing at a very stead 70+ fps on "max" w/ GTX465

Still, WTF ID?

HeartlessNinny

I had a chance to play this for a couple hours tonight, and so far, I really really like it. The story is a bit weak, much like it is in every id game ever, but the atmosphere is friggin' amazing. I like the addition of the side jobs and what not, too. Very fun stuff.

I'm also a bit surprised how fun the vehicle mechanics are. I've done a few races now, and I've had a good time with them. Not something I expected from a shooter.

Overall I think this has been reviewed a bit on the stingy side. I've only logged about 3 1/2 hours, but it would really have to fall apart for me to change my mind. Thumbs up.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
I had a chance to play this for a couple hours tonight, and so far, I really really like it. The story is a bit weak, much like it is in every id game ever, but the atmosphere is friggin' amazing. I like the addition of the side jobs and what not, too. Very fun stuff.

I'm also a bit surprised how fun the vehicle mechanics are. I've done a few races now, and I've had a good time with them. Not something I expected from a shooter.

Overall I think this has been reviewed a bit on the stingy side. I've only logged about 3 1/2 hours, but it would really have to fall apart for me to change my mind. Thumbs up.

Pretty much my thoughts.

The main issue with this game I have right now is that if you played the shit out of Borderlands or even Fallout 3, the whole apocalyptic setting might feel tired at this point.

With that aside, graphically, this game is untouchable on the 360. I didn't watch any videos of the game prior to release so I was rather surprised by the frame rate being so high.

*Side note, I did install the game to the hard drive since I know it was being recommended by id Software due to the textures. I think I saw on another forum someone mentioned if you do both discs you're at about 20-22GB occupied on the HD. So I don't know if there is a significant difference in game performance when running straight off the discs versus running it off the HD.

Beyond that it is what you expect from id Software. Solid mechanics all around, you can tell they took care to get things right. The sound is good...the music definitely gives a sense of unease when you are in an area where all of the enemies are not dead.

I think it's about an 8/10 which is by no means bad. The story is on the weaker side, but then again it's not like Doom had much of a story, or actually most of the id Software games. The game itself was emphasized over story in the past. I think the real test for this game will be in seeing what other companies opt to use the Tech 5 engine. I see a lot of potential in it, but who knows if anyone wants to step away from the Unreal engine yet. We'll see.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I'm glad I waited, too. I've been getting into these kinds of games on PC lately so to hear the PC build has problems is disappointing.

The responses here indicate 'good, but not a day one home run sure thing' type of purchase. Not at a $60 price point.

That being the case, I'm going to wait for:

-price drop
-patches/fixes
-X-mas gift certificates to appear under the christmas tree

Thanks for the info, all.

HeartlessNinny

Beyond that it is what you expect from id Software. Solid mechanics all around, you can tell they took care to get things right. The sound is good...the music definitely gives a sense of unease when you are in an area where all of the enemies are not dead.

I think it's about an 8/10 which is by no means bad. The story is on the weaker side, but then again it's not like Doom had much of a story, or actually most of the id Software games. The game itself was emphasized over story in the past. I think the real test for this game will be in seeing what other companies opt to use the Tech 5 engine. I see a lot of potential in it, but who knows if anyone wants to step away from the Unreal engine yet. We'll see.

Yeah, you're right about the apocalypse thing, but in this game, it just looks so good. I thought Fallout did a good job of making a blasted wasteland that looked amazing, but they've got nothing on this. Same thing with Borderlands.

Anyways, I didn't mention the sound: you're right about it being great. I hate it when you play a shooter and the guns you use sound wimpy and flat. For some reason that really takes me out of it.

Happily that's not the case here. Even the starter pistol sounds like a goddamn cannon. And, like you said, the music is really good, and well used. The only quibble I have with the sound is that the surround isn't perfect, like it was in some games like Dead Space. That's quite rare, though, so it's a particularly quibbly quibble.

I think an 8/10 is a fair score. It's not an instant classic, but it is a fun game, and well worth playing. I think the lukewarm reviews really missed the point on this one.

Final note: I'm playing the PS3 version, and it looks fucking amazing. Slightly better than the 360, from what I understand. Plus you don't have to swap discs. Nothin' wrong with that.

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
I'm about 4 hours in and these are my thoughts:

Looks amazing. Rage and Gears 3 are two of the best looking games this generation.

Story- Story does not even exist and John Goodman sounds like he phoned in his lines while on Prozac. The characters you meet in the first real town are more interesting but nothing about you or what has happened has really been explained at all. Just crappy fetch quests.

Level Design = bad. I've only played through the first 4 locales but so far this is a hallway shooter. I really hope things open up a bit soon.

Gunplay - this really falls flat for me. The animations for people getting hit in different parts of their body is cool but it seems like my bullets do nothing while they are in that animation. None of the guns really feel fun except for the combat shotgun. The iron sight mode on the pistol really obscures your view to the point where I almost always shoot from the hip if I have to use it.

The card game is fun and a good way to earn quick money in the game.

I loved the hell out of all of the previous id games until Doom 3 and Quake 4 but this game is not really holding my interest. I'll keep playing to see if it gets better but I don't have any high hopes.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
Ninny, can you play custom soundtracks? This might be what sways me one way or they other (between PS3 or XBOX).