Is there a stick that works well for both shmups and fighters?

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
is there any reason a "fight stick" would be detrimental to playing shmups?

just curious. also I'm talking mostly about 360.

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
If you changed the restriction gate out, then it'd be awesome. Square gates on shmups sucks something fierce :oh_no:

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.

Most commercially available sticks (Mad Catz, Hori) come with a Sanwa stick in them. Shmup players tend to prefer Seimitsu sticks, because of the shorter throw and overall tighter feel they have. By "throw" I basically mean the movement required to engage the stick. Sanwa sticks tend to feel looser. But there is no reason why you couldn't use Seimitsu sticks for fighting games, many people actually prefer them. And thats basically what it comes down to, preference. If you don't have a lot of experience using sticks, Sanwa vs. Seimitsu probably isn't going to make a big difference to you.

If Seimitsu sounds preferable to you, there is the Hori Real Arcade Pro EX-SE. It is the only stick out there right now (as far as I know) that comes stock with Seimitsu parts. Another option you might consider is buying the cheaper Mad Catz SE Fightstick and modding it. Don't bother with the parts that are in it, they are basically junk.

Here is a really great rundown of all the different kinds of sticks out there.

Last edited:

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Ok, since you are a broke bastard just like me, I think this will be your cheapest option:

Mad Catz SE Fightstick: http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Stre..._8?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1267816278&sr=8-8

After you got that, just go to http://www.lizardlick.com/pages/joysticks.shtml and look for the Seimitsu LS-32-01 or whatever stick you think you'd want and then browse their buttons if you choose to replace them (I would). Be aware that anything other than a Sanwa JLF or Seimitsu LS-32-01 might require a different mounting plate. Also, if you do decide on the LS-32-01, make sure you order the "-01" version specifically. There is also just the LS-32, its the same stick but using that one would require soldering on your part and theres no reason for that.

Now, this will require some modding, but if you can use a screwdriver you can mod this stick. Luckily, there is a handy little guide on how to mod this stick. Its as simple as can be, the only part that might mess with you is rotating the pcb on the Seimitsu stick. Not that its hard, you just probably wouldn't know to do that if someone didn't tell you.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I got the real arcade pro special edition when Amazon was selling them for 75 during Christmas. It has a really stiff sturdy feel to the stick that makes it great for shmups. You can really tell the difference when you use it between another stick like the MadCatz stick for TvC. It's a lot loose and you can roll it easy for special moves.

I still use my SE stick for fighters, I'm not going to spend another 80+ for a fighting game only stick and have my SE to be my Shmup only stick. It's a lot stiffer then any joystick I've used before, but it's a solid feel and I like it. Took some getting used to but I like it much more then the standard Hori EX2 stick that I've had since I've owned my 360.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member

'Fight stick' is just an arbitrary label for an arcade style controller, that happens to be marketed towards fighting game players. What you need to look at is the stick inside; whether it's Sanwa, Seimitsu or some cheap clone thing. Many of the better sticks out there can easily be modded to use Sanwa or Seimitsu, if they aren't in there in the first place.

I prefer the Sanwa JLF with an octagonal gate for fighters, and the Seimitsu LS-32-01 for shmups. So I have two sticks for each of the current gen consoles ;) Ideally, you should try each type of stick, and see what suits you. If you're just casual about things, I suggest you look up a stick with a Sanwa JLF inside (such as the SFIV TE). I would rather play shmups with a JLF than fighters with an LS-32-01.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
If you changed the restriction gate out, then it'd be awesome. Square gates on shmups sucks something fierce :oh_no:

I prefer square gates for my shmups. I put a round main guide on my LS-32-01 that's inside my SFIV SE, and it really didn't work well, for BlazBlue or the Cave shmups.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
People have always said Seimitsu is better for shmups and Sanwa is better for fighters. After playing with both, I have to agree. Playing a fighter with a Seimistsu feels weird - which isn't to say it'll make you any worse of a player - it just feels weird. They're fantastic for smups though.

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
Ideally, you should try each type of stick, and see what suits you. If you're just casual about things, I suggest you look up a stick with a Sanwa JLF inside (such as the SFIV TE). I would rather play shmups with a JLF than fighters with an LS-32-01.
How easy/possible is it to replace the artwork in the SFIV TE stick? Its hideous.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
How easy/possible is it to replace the artwork in the SFIV TE stick? Its hideous.

very easy :)

sticks are just preference of course, but I use sanwas with square gates for shooters and its totally natural to me. seimitsus are probably better and all but sanwas are perfectly playable if you don't wanna invest in different sticks for every genre.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
i hate octo's they take away my nice corners and make the stick feel totally different, But we still have a few arcades up here still so i stick to the standard (around here) which is sanwa JLF with square gate. No use getting used to something you can't use anywhere but your house.

you play enough of any one setup and it will be your preference.

I loved my Hori HRAP360 for SFIV and the two Raiden games I bought, I thought the stick performed excellently. The big problem I had with it was when I tried the Namco compilation disc, I couldn't play anything with that stick, it felt completely unresponsive to any Pac-Man game, I don't know what the fuck the deal with that is.

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
I loved my Hori HRAP360 for SFIV and the two Raiden games I bought, I thought the stick performed excellently. The big problem I had with it was when I tried the Namco compilation disc, I couldn't play anything with that stick, it felt completely unresponsive to any Pac-Man game, I don't know what the fuck the deal with that is.

It's worse with Mr. D-RILLER-, half second input delay :(

edit: my brain is fried from todays events.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member

There are other versions out there with different artwork. I can't say exactly how easy it is to change the artwork though. I've only ever changed parts and built stuff from scratch.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.

Thats because the JLF in the HRAP-EX is a lot looser than what you'd normally play something like Pac-Man with. Its also an eight way stick, normally something like Pac-Man is played with a four way stick so you don't hit diagonal directions. I also tried to play Pac-Man C.E. with my HRAP EX and its very difficult.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Just got one of these :

HRAP-V-SA.jpg