Is there a stick that works well for both shmups and fighters?

Force

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
20 Year Member
I guess i'm probably the last person on earth who prefers happ comp sticks (stiff) for both.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Just got one of these :

HRAP-V-SA.jpg

Those look real nice, but I took the dive and bought an SE since I wasn't sure if that one's parts were easily swappable and because I didn't think I'd be able to find plexi overlays.

And that start button:scratch:

IsamuBlue

Formerly Megatron2929
Who's the guy that modded the SE SF4 stick into a kick ass Rocky Dennis Shooting Team stick? That was awesome!

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Seimitsu LS-32

:up:

Fighters might feel odd at first if you're use to a big bat (ie..Happ stick), but this stick is perfect for fighters as well. Great for everything actually.

Thats because the JLF in the HRAP-EX is a lot looser than what you'd normally play something like Pac-Man with. Its also an eight way stick, normally something like Pac-Man is played with a four way stick so you don't hit diagonal directions. I also tried to play Pac-Man C.E. with my HRAP EX and its very difficult.

Ah that explains my problems then.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I guess i'm probably the last person on earth who prefers happ comp sticks (stiff) for both.

I love the old comp sticks for fighters. I know NOTHING about shooters, however...

Rade K

20 Year Member
Those look real nice, but I took the dive and bought an SE since I wasn't sure if that one's parts were easily swappable and because I didn't think I'd be able to find plexi overlays.

And that start button:scratch:

Just picked it up (great deal, btw - be jealous).

It's a nice stick. The start button is fine. Best one I've ever owned.

Don't even have to change out the buttons.

Rade K

20 Year Member
I love the old comp sticks for fighters. I know NOTHING about shooters, however...

I don't know how I lived during my childhood using the american style sticks.

Once I started using the JPN style, I could not go back. The looser feel is simply more my style.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
Just a heads up, if you aren't used to playing your shooters on a stick, expect a time where you need to get used to playing them as such. It's definitely a better experience, but feels weird at first if you're so used to holding a pad in your hands.

You likely fall in that catagory, so you probably don't even really need to go with swapping parts out and such (easy as it is). Just get a Fightstick and call it a day. They're just fine with stock parts in them to anyone who doesn't know the difference. Once you do start changing things out though, it's tough going back to sub-standard parts.

Just my .02 cents.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member

I love a happ stick for everything except shumps. I can deal tho.

Kyle

Kabuki Klasher
I love a happ stick for everything except shumps. I can deal tho.
It wouldn't be my first choice either but they work well enough for shmups. LS-32 is going to be the standard answer to this thread. A JLF with a harder spring isn't bad for shmups either, but an LS-32 or 40 will do a better job.