It's Thinking! - 15 years of Sega Dreamcast 9/9/14

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Project Justice was the shit for DC. Hard to find. I could enjoy it even though I don't play fighting games anymore.

Especially the import version with the Nekketsu Nikki create a character/board game. Man me and my friends so many hours into that mode. Shit was soooo fun.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I still remember that day. It was the year our first home burnt down so we where living in an apartment not too far from the local Toys R Us. I got up early and walked right to Toys R Us and got it with my money from graduating high school. I got the system with Sonic Adventure and Soul Cailbur. I had to wait later in the week to get the arcade stick and VMU since they didn't have any at TRU.

I'll echo what Beef said about Project Justice. What an amazing game. I had that game on pre-order for almost a year from EB. Almost every time the game was set to come out they'd push it back a few months. I still remember sending an email to Capcom asking what the hell was going on and if they had an official release date for the game and I got the usual bullshit email reply saying how long it takes to make a game like I'm fucking five.

Shame that it died so quick, but I had an amazing time with mine. WAY too much PSO, Marvel Vs Capcom 1&2, Tech Romancer, Bangai-Oh!, Shenume 1&2 and Zero 3.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
I bought one for King of Fighters '98 ... then got Power Stone, Evolution (pretty crappy RPG), Sega Rally 2, Soul Caliber and a crap load of other games. It was so good while it lasted.

SHENMUE!!!! Fuuuuuuuu.... so good.

mccloud5286

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I interpret "solid" as a euphemism for mediocre.

If you didn't own a NG back then, they were solid ports. I'll agree they were not the best they could be, but still worth it to own. I remember when they came out and I bought them because I had not seen them in my local arcade and the NG was not around where I live. Sadly.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
If you didn't own a NG back then, they were solid ports. I'll agree they were not the best they could be, but still worth it to own. I remember when they came out and I bought them because I had not seen them in my local arcade and the NG was not around where I live. Sadly.

same for me, not being able to afford an NG at the time, I got real cozy with the port of Last Blade 2, I was damn grateful just to be able to play it at home. Unfortunately I usually had to play it alone since all my friends just wanted to play MvC2 :(

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
9-9-99 I was sitting at home playing MK Gold and wondering if that sound was a jet fighter taking off or my DC spinning a disc.

mccloud5286

Kuroko's Training Dummy
9-9-99 I was sitting at home playing MK Gold and wondering if that sound was a jet fighter taking off or my DC spinning a disc.

I remember that date fondly. I was a manager at Babbage's (pre Game Stop) and was handling about 75 customers at midnight waiting to pick up their system. We had about 200+ systems that covered pre orders and some spares for walk ins.

Felt bad about the MK Gold and Hydro Thunder issues at launch, even though they were not my fault.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I'm sure you and the other guy who bought a VGA box had lots of fun.

I'm the other guy, dude, DC on a VGA CRT at the time looked better than anything any console had ever produced. Watching the Capcom logo come in on VGA for games like Powerstone and MVC2, man! Those were the days, the S-Video that came out of the VGA box was great 'cause KOF Dreamatch '99 looked great with it, the game didn't support VGA at the time so this was good. Hydro Thunder with those Madcatz Wheels was great. those wheels were so cheap back then, like 30 bucks at wal-mart, man, so many great memories.

Monaco Grand Prix
Metropolis Steet Racer
Sega GT

Not saying I don't like the PS2, I love the PS2, My fatboy was the shit! Hard disc, network adaptor and HD loader, I had all my SNK ports, Cave shooters and other fighters in it, it was a great machine, loved it. The HDExploder Disc was a great tool too, there is a VGA PS2 cable and it's the shit. Sony 4LF on quality products though, the cables were always top notch, everything about it, the controller was excellent, I mean there's no wrong here, stop making camps Doc. Oh man, a good wheel for the PS2 can take you places. Logitech force feedback wheel, I love my wheel and I miss playing GT3 and all my other superb racers, I do think PS2 is second to Saturn, only 'cause I'm an arcade hound and I like the Saturn ports better than the PS2 ports, clean signal, no filters, simple everything.

I gotta say that I do really like most of my consoles and I'm gonna confess, I'm pretty much mainstream when it comes to systems, nothing out of the ordinary here but I'm happy with what I got.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
You could dig up a Dreamcast birthday thread from '04 and it would have many similar posts.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Yeah I didn't experience Dreamcast in 480p until I bought a VGA adapter a few years ago. Man it was such a crazy thing to see after already thinking DC looked good using composite cables all those years and then going to THAT.

I had to play every game I could over again :)

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Skies of Arcadia and Record of Lodoss War... God I miss having a Dreamcast. :crying:

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
I also bought a VGA box in 2000 - hooked up to a CRT PC monitor, the Dreamcast's graphics blew me away! Truly ahead of its time.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Was there ever a pinball game for Dreamcast? I don't remember one in the US.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
waiting for Broken to chime in :keke:

i'm happy to celebrate this day every year, even if it's only because it's the one console release date I have memorized. I however was not there at the launch, it took my roommate baiting me with Soul Calibur for me to get sucked in, and I've been a huge fan ever since.

I'm thinking Gunbird 2 and Jojo are definitely on the agenda, and maybe a little Propeller Arena :)

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I didn't get a DC until early 2000. I was 14 and in 10th grade. I remember I drew that Dreamcast logo on all the assignments are turned in.

This is a nostalgia thread. If you're a DC hater then just get the fuck out. We all know why the console failed.

But its failure doesn't mean that for us there wasn't something magical about the system.

I think Power Stone was the first game I had. Never got to play the sequel but always wished they'd reboot the series. Way too much fun.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
4 Payer Marvel vs Capcom!!! Let's go crazy!
DOA2 4 Player
Street Fighter Alpha 3 3 PLayer
Power Stone 2 4 player
Virtua Tennis 4 Player

House of the Dead 2 reason enough to own a gun "Suffer like G did"
Virtua Cop was released with the Smash Pack

Hello

Crossed Swords Squire
I remember looking forward too and getting this on launch day. I had built up a really fun collection and played the hell out of it(stayed up with my buddy to beat sonic). While the Playstation 2 was on the way i really wasn't that interested. I had just moved out and gotten my own place with my best friend. I got off of work one day and came back to a burnt up apartment(the only thing that survived was a bong) Found out my cousin/best friend was burnt to shit. About a week after that i broke down and bought one of those marked up ps2 bundles. 9/9/99 was def a good day It sucks the way Sega went from being a force to a fart.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Skies of Arcadia and Record of Lodoss War... God I miss having a Dreamcast. :crying:

That's why I could never sell mine. Even though I barely play it anymore, there's a certain amount comfort knowing I can whenever I actually get the urge.

Then again most times I can quell that urge by playing Sega games that remind of the Dreamcast like Daytona USA, Nights, JGR, Fighting Vipers etc on current consoles.

I find those tend to scratch the itch pretty good.

Edit: Ugh I just sold a bunch of my best and favorite Dreamcast games on here over the last couple of weeks and this thread is making me regret it lol.

Last edited:

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I took a risk on the Agetec stick early and I was glad I did because I used in most games. Best stick ever!

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
I remember starting 8th grade when the Dreamcast came out. I also remember Final Fantasy VIII coming out that same day.

I remember in 2010, I brought a DC to a gathering for my students. They finished up finals so a good friend and I treated them to our older and newer games. We forgot the AV cables to the Wii so we used the Dreamcast as a replacement. I had Power Stone 2 with four controllers and they had a BLAST! They liked that more than Brawl and took turns playing like crazy.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Saturn & Playstation adaptors where so great! Perfect for peripherals like Twin Sticks for Saturn, wheels for PSX, the dramcast saw it all.

Always wanted a Broadband adaptor but never managed, are they any good, always wanted to play some unreal tournament on them servers.

Panther Stick on Unreal Tournament, heaven!

I took a risk on the Agetec stick early and I was glad I did because I used in most games. Best stick ever!
Me too, then later got me a second agetec stick. Love them both. I've used them a lot, it's finally time to mod them, keep 'em green stock though, preserve the fine look of them.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Me too, then later got me a second agetec stick. Love them both. I've used them a lot, it's finally time to mod them, keep 'em green stock though, preserve the fine look of them.

Yup I sold of my Agetecs to a member on here a couple of years ago but kept the other. The one I have still has the box and I fully Seimitsu modded it. I went with clear blue buttons and ball top but now that you mention it, green might have ended up looking better lol.

One of my favorite sticks.